Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

This And That


Are you missing hockey yet? I have to truthfully say that if I hadn't have known from hearing people and reading tweets about the season actually supposed to be starting last nite, it wouldn't have clicked on me. Who's kidding who, I wouldn't have watched opening night anyhow because I am just enthralled in the baseball playoffs and the divisional series. October baseball is outstanding and this year has been no different. The 9th inning comeback by Oakland on Wednesday night was riveting as has been the Yankees-Baltimore series. Damn you Raul Ibanez!! Two games today close out the first round and they should be great.

-----

The Portland Winter Hawks were at the Brandt Centre Wednesday night and while they lost to the Pats in overtime, they came as advertised. Defenceman Seth Jones might be one of the smoothest skating defencemen I've seen on Brandt Centre ice. Is it too much to ask that he suffer some sort of slight injury that prevents him from playing for the U-S at the World Juniors? I keed, I keed. Jones, Weyburn's Derrick Pouliot, Ty Rattie and others could very well be back in this province representing the WHL at the Memorial Cup in Saskatoon. If Wednesday was any indication though, they may need a goaltender.

------

I was surprised to read on Rod's blog last week that Corey Chamblin has actually asked for me to do pre-game interviews with him while standing up because he is superstitious in nature. I thought I was doing it because Phil Andrews was unavailable. Regardless, I have no problems in having the pre-game chat with Chamblin that goes to air. I hope to do one with him in Toronto if you know what I mean and I think you do.

----

Once again, the power of Tim Hortons astounds me. I was at the Prince of Wales location Friday morning and was having a sit down with my father instead of going through the drive-thru. The lineup at the drive thru was long as was the lineup inside. Several people were grumbling at the long line up inside yet just a long drive and a 5 iron away was a Robins Donuts where there was virtually no wait. Why? Are people that hooked on Tims that they would rather grumble about waiting in line then hop in the vehicle and drive down the road to Robins. Apparently, the answer is yes. If you're going to bitch about it, you obviously don't mind or you would be going elsewhere.

----

The U of R Cougar ladies basketball squad (arguably the marquee program) at the U of R begins their home portion of their schedule today as they host a 4 team event. Dave Taylor's crew are hosting the Nationals this year so you know they will once again be good. I hope Reginans embrace this team and fill up the CKHS for games---especially later this season. I just hope you don't mind the guy who is doing p-a for most games. That would be yours truly!!

----

I taped the Ben Johnson ESPN 30 for 30, but I haven't watched it. I hear Carl Lewis comes off as an absolute douchebag though. Should that surprise anyone?

-----

As the Riders make this late season charge, one has to wonder if Weston Dressler will get into the equation when it comes to talk of who the league's M-O-P is. Right now, my vote would likely still go to Jon Cornish, but Dressler is coming up fast on the outside and if he has four big games down the stretch, it will likely mean the Riders have finished first or second in the West and then let the discussion begin.

-----

It was great talking with Colts linebacker and former Rider Jerrell Freeman on "The Sportscage" Wednesday. Freeman has made a huge impact with the Colts and was called their best player on defense by FOX's Thom Brennaman this past weekend when they upset Green Bay. More and more CFL'ers are cracking NFL rosters especially on defense---Freeman, John Chick, Brandon Browner and Cam Wake just to name 4. It seems that Wake's play south of the border after a great NFL career woke up a lot of people down south as to how good some of our defenders are.

------

The debate has already started as to who Ottawa would take as their quarterback when the CFL expansion draft takes place. Each team will be allowed to protect one QB meaning some talent will be out there. Mike Reilly, Bo Levi Mitchell, Drew Willy, Adrian McPherson....etc....etc...etc. Would a team risk putting a Kevin Glenn, Travis Lulay or even a Darian Durant on the unprotected list knowing they have someone younger ready to go. In some cases I could, in others I couldn't.

------

Looking forward to seeing Tom Brady and the Patriots come into Seattle this weekend. I'd be shocked if the Seahawks offense can muster enough points to win and I truly think New England's offense will be too much for Seattle's strong D, but I hope its not a one-sided contest. Before the game, the Seahawks will retire the jersey of their "old 96er" Cortez Kennedy. That just asks the question if Saskatchewan's "old 96er" should ever have his uni retired by the team. I think Scott Schultz would readily say he isn't that in Elgaard-Narcisse territory, but it might be something to consider when the new stadium opens.

-------
Speaking of the Seahawks, we all know that the Riders took the 13th man idea from Seattle who harkens the 12th man. The Seahawks took that idea from Texas A and M by the way. Anyhoo, the Seahawks before every game have an alumni that raises the 12th man flag. The place goes nuts. Could that and should that not be happening at Mosaic and the new facility. The place is already loud when the team is introduced. Do the intros, do the anthem and then have someone raise a 13th man flag. Imagine the roar when George Reed or Roger Aldag or whoever would do that. Lets start that tradition!

-------

If you are a Pats fan, mark November 16th down on your calendar. Sportsnet is picking up Regina's game in Vancouver and adding it to their Friday night hockey lineup.

-------

Have a great weekend. I'll talk to you on 'The Touchdown Club" with Michael Ball tomorrow morning at 1130.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are totally correct about a lot of things but mostly about Tim's/Robin's on Prince of Wales. I always laugh at the lineup outside and inside when I drive past Tim's because I know I'll be in and out of Robin's with my beverage in one to two minutes. And it's not like it's a Tim's/Starbucks thing where the coffee is noticeably different....the basic products are very similar.

DJK said...

I love the flag raising idea. Brilliant marketing! Someone should tell the Riders this!

Anonymous said...

I agree with DJK. Throw that idea to Maz Mitch!


LD

Anonymous said...

You'll love the Ben Johnson show. Its outstanding!

Way better than that piece of crap that I saw on TSN last week.

Anonymous said...

The baseball playoffs have been great.

I would rather be at the U of R than the Brandt Centre so you don't have to sell me on that.

GO RIDERS!!

Anonymous said...

The Johnson 30 for 30 might be the best one of them all. Great show!

Anonymous said...

Great idea on the 12th man and having alumni raise the flag. Take that idea to Mazurak now!


Gord

Anonymous said...

Is the coffee at Tims that much better than the coffee at Robins? It does baffle me how people will line up at one place and not the other. I'm a Robins drinker and a guy that doesn't wait in line. I have had Tims before, but I'm not addicted like so many others seem to be.


Aaron

Anonymous said...

People of whom wait and grumble in line at tim Hortons have no life. Il ike robins or do these people have coffee makers at home. I love my Keurig.

Anonymous said...

I like your idea about raising the flag but Scott Schultz's jersey retirement. Not so much. I say no more retirements until #41 is decommisioned for Ron Atchison.

Veeseven

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know Edmonton already does the raising of the 13 man flag. But on the other hand the PA announcer has to tell te fans when to cheer when the Eskies are in D if he doesnt the crowd is deathly quite.

Anonymous said...

Yep, Lewis comes across as a d-bag in the ESPN doc. I remember back in 88 when Lewis was crowing about Johnson getting caught doping, Lynford Christie (also in the doc) said something like, "Carl should be careful that that halo over his head doesn't drop down around his neck and choke him." Lance Armstrong, anyone?