Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Something To "Mitch" About


I had the privilege of calling the provincial mixed doubles curling semi-final and final for Access on Sunday at the Callie. All I have to say is thank god for Amber Holland. The SCA’s executive director served as my analyst on the broadcast and she basically saved the day. I know curling, but I don’t know mixed doubles curling. I read up on some rules on the weekend, but until you see it, you just don’t know what to expect. There are only five rocks an end, you can’t hit any rocks until 5 have been thrown, each end starts with two rocks placed on the ice—one a centerline guard and the other on the back end of the button. Its not like the curling I am used to and I felt like a fish out of water trying to describe it. As I said, Amber saved the day because she knew what was going on and was still able to strategize the situation. I just tried to save myself from looking like a complete buffoon. That’s hard to do. Trust me!

--

At this time next year, we will all be heavily invested in the Sochi Winter Olympics and how the Canadian hockey team is faring. Everyone is making their lists as to who would be on the team. There is no doubt that the biggest challenge for the Canadian brain-trust will be who plays forward and who is left off the team.  The list of players is so talented---Crosby, Toews, Eberle, Stamkos, Perry, etc. etc. Will Steve Yzerman and company go with a younger Logan Couture than perhaps a more experienced Joe Thornton or a younger Jeff Skinner than a more experienced Jarome Iginla. Those meetings are ones where I would love to see a camera inside for some kind of documentary. It won’t be easy! One person told me Eberle may not get the call this time because of all the talent, but that he would be a shoo-in for 2018. I can’t see that.

--

How did you last on the first Sunday without football? I hate waking up Sundays and not having any pre-game shows to watch or Pro-Line tickets to fill out or making sure my fantasy teams are up to date and ready to go.

---

I love the fact the Riders got Xavier Fulton’s contract extended and that he approached the Riders about doing so. Fulton’s statements show that he wants to be here and he wants to make Regina his home when his days are done. More and more Riders are sticking around in the off-season and more and more Riders who are American and are now done have stuck around too and don’t seem to be complaining. (ie: Matt Dominguez, Wes Cates, Lance Frazier)It didn’t used to be like that and says a lot about this team under its current structure.

--

Why doesn’t Brendan Taman get any credit for basically getting Fulton from Edmonton for nothing.  The Taman-haters are sure silent on that move.  I’d like to see them be silenced altogether.

--

I thought Jerome Messam would be worth more than a 5th round pick, but that is all the Eskimos could get from the Alouettes. A 5th round pick for a Canadian running back that had over 1000 yards before trying his luck in the NFL? I wonder if Messam is damaged goods.

--

I love the NCAA mens college basketball tournament. “March Madness” provides excitement across the board. If this season of college basketball is any indication, this year’s tournament could be one of the most wide-open and one of the most exciting tournaments we’ve ever seen. Teams like Michigan, Duke, Kansas and Indiana have all been ranked number 1 and have then gotten defeated shortly after getting that number one ranking. Saturday night, Notre Dame and Louisville played a five overtime game. I wish that one would have been on Canadian TV. If it was, I couldn’t find it. It just makes me jump on Vanstone’s quest to get ESPN in Canada.

--

I continue to be astounded at some of the things I see on TV these days and how some people are actually allowed in front of a camera. I’ll just leave it at that.
---

There was a lot of excitement for "Walking Dead" being back on TV. Excuse my ignorance, but wasn't "Walking Dead" the name of the 2011 Rider highlight film.

--
One person who can be allowed to be in front of a camera is Kate Upton. She will be the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition cover girl. Here's the cover.....

 
 
 
No need to thank me fellas. Its just a service for you!
-----

As I thought it would be, it was another great weekend at the CKHS watching Cougar basketball.  The women beat Lethbridge handily both nights as expected while the mens team were beaten by the Pronghorns both nights, but once again James Hillis’ team put on a very entertaining performance for the crowd on Friday night as they were beaten in overtime on a buzzer-beater.  There were a lot of great games with the Cougars upsetting top ten teams Alberta and the U of S as the year went along, Losing only two starters should bode well for the team next year.  As for the womens team, they still have a long ways to go since they are hosting Nationals.  When that team is going, there is no better in Canada. I really hope this is the year that Dave Taylor and company can bring home a national title and a conference championship. Of course, if both should happen, I would be more than happy to announce it to those in the CKHS seeing I have had a front-row seat as the Cougs p-a announcer this year.  Having a front-row seat this year to all the action has been a treat.  

---

Is there any more picturesque sight than a golfer on a clear day standing on the 18th tee box at Pebble Beach.  I just love watching events from that layout. I may like it more than Augusta.
--
The Pats may not be playoff bound, but they won a game in Brandon! Wins in Brandon should be celebrated at any time because they don't come around very often. Speaking of the Pats, they might be done, but the marketing staff is doing what they can to keep people coming to the Brandt Centre. You don't have to go to the rest of the games and I understand the frustration, but go check out at least one more if not two just to say thanks for the hard works Cliff Mapes is doing in trying to get some butts in the building. Cliffy's job wouldn't be as tough as it is if the team were winning, but they are not. He deserves some recognition for his efforts.
---
 
Did anyone catch the NFL films presentation of the Super Bowl in which Joe Flacco at the end of the game tells teammates that if they have to, they should run on the field to tackle Ted Ginn Junior and prevent him from scoring a touchdown. Flacco obviously had no idea that if a player did that, it would likely result in a touchdown and a win for the 49ers. Can you imagine that scenario painting itself out and what it would do to Flacco’s legacy.
---
 I miss Chris Hodges doing weekend sports on CTV.
---
There were numerous cars in the ditches on highways leading in and out of Regina and on the Ring Road this past Friday. I really would like to know what is going through the minds of some of these knuckleheads that think they are invincible on the highway and can travel on it at the same level of speed as they would in the summer when they obviously can’t.  You look real manly when your car is flipped over on its roof! Here’s an idea…..SLOW DOWN!!!  Are you really in that big of a hurry to where you are going?
---
Locker-Talk co-host Pete Paczko informs me HIW wrestler Rex Roberts will be in studio Tuesday to promote February’s card. MEMO TO SELF: Bring the air freshener!!! Would it be impolite to walk off the set?
---
That’s all I got for now. Have a good week! Once again, thank you Amber Holland.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

When is the mixed doubles coming on 7? I've heard about it and it sounds strange.


Terry C

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA. The Taman-haters will be on your case soon with comments like that. Its true though!

Anonymous said...

Scruffy, what's the deal with Brackenridge and Willis. I'm thinking they are gone and if they are, that's our two best players on D heading elsewhere. I'm concerned!!!

Aaron

Mitchell Blair said...

Terry C:

I'm not sure. Check the listings under "Rock The House".

Anonymous said...

Thank you Scruffy! That's just what a single guy needs to see. I'm off to 7-11 now to pick one up.

Anonymous said...

We need Brackenridge back. Did the money we gave to Simon mean no Brackenridge? That wouldn't be good!

Anonymous said...

Is Lobendahn coming back?

Anonymous said...

Roughriders now a financially unbalanced team, offence vs defence. Defence will be a major area of concern for 2013 season as two good Impact players, (Breckenridge, Lobandahn) from last year's roster obviously not signed to contract as of this moment, (two players do not a team make). Saskatchewan management should and must surely have some kind of backup contingency plans In place If players leave for free agency or can't be afforded due to budgetary constraints. This week of February 11-15 and thereafter (free agency) will tell a story of addition or subtraction with some unexspected results that will be reflective of 2013 Saskatchewan Roughriders team.

75flyersbestteamever said...

Re: Kate Upton pic...the closer I look its easier to see its fake...that fur is definately not real..
..Isn't that what everyone's talking about?..I thought that's one great fur cost ad..(must remember to not look at Mitch's column with wife in room; remind wife swimsuit issue also has great "articles" .)

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to Chris Hodges?

Anonymous said...

Lee Jones, JSBinks, sports team news. TSN ?

Anonymous said...

Don't piss Rex off Scruffy. He'll hit you with his branding iron!

Anonymous said...

I also miss Chris Hodges and his beat up Sport coats that looked like he dragged them down Tower 1 road racing to work
"I miss Chris Hodges doing weekend sports on CTV. "