Pages

Friday, October 24, 2014

This And That

The weekly collection of thoughts running through my muddled mind in no particular order


  --So some yahoo thinks he is going to try and intimidate us as Canadians by needlessly killing an innocent Canadian soldier and then running through our main political buildings looking to inflict further damage. Sorry buddy, you can't, won't and never will intimidate Canada. Our patriotism is much too strong for one or two acts of terrorism to bring us down.

  --The events of Wednesday once again showcased how much sports can be a tremendous remedy for battling the evil that can envelop us. On a day where the events in Ottawa dominated our lives, it was great to go home and be able to watch the World Series and a hockey game, It allows us to escape for a while.

 --I don't know how the Riders win in Calgary tonight and I don't see them winning tonight, but this is one of those games where Saskatchewan can pull one out of their hat. Then again, I would rather win in Calgary in November than late October if you know what I mean.  I was surprised to hear Rod Pedersen talk about how much the Rider organization and its personnel are hated in Cowtown. AWWWWWW!!!! That's alright, there are many people who here who can't stand the Stampeders either.

 --Its hard to look at Kerry Joseph and go he's 41. He's 41 going on 31 if you know what I mean. There are many 41 year olds out there that wish they looked like Joseph.

 --Who will the Riders MOP candidate be this year?  John Chick had a lock on it, but his play has tailed off somewhat in the second half of the season. Ricky Foley's play has just gotten better while Tearrius George has been consistent from Game 1 on. It won't be an easy choice. We have learned though there is no doubt who the MIP---Most Important Player is and that is the guy who wears number 4,  Barring a Grey Cup victory, I and many other Rider fans will wonder how 2014 would have finished had it not been for Bryant Turner smacking Darian Durant in Winnipeg causing the torn elbow tendon.

 --I am hoping to see a good performance out of Keith Toston tonight. I don't know why this kid hasn't been given a chance after looking great in the pre-season, but the truth is he wasn't until tonight and I wonder if it hadn't of been for back spasms from Anthony Allen and what seemed to be the attitude of Will Ford leading to his release if he would have. I credit Toston for staying here all season long when he could have walked away. I hope he shows this team what he has and that he shows that he should be in the plans for 2015.

--After an outstanding run to get there, the first two games of the World Series were disappointing and not very riveting. I am hoping that changes as the series moves to San Francisco tonight,

--Could we actually go into November this year before seeing snow? I'd be OK with that and I think a lot of you would be too.

--Have the Oilers put that bad start behind them or have they just showed us they are better than teams in the Southeast Division. If its the latter, who do I speak to to get the Oilers moved to the Southeast?

 --Sportsnet's hockey panel proclaimed Rick Nash as the MVP of the first two weeks of the season the other night. Really? We are talking MVP after two weeks? SIGHHHHH!!!

 --Am I the only one frustrated over not knowing what channel the various hockey games are on. Sportsnet does a nice job in promoting Hockey Night in Canada and what games will be on what channel Saturday, but they are doing a poor job on the other 6 nights as far as I'm concerned.

 --Dick White's days as Director of Athletics at the University of Regina is coming to an end. I have no idea who will replace Dick, but the shoes he will have to fill will be immense. The job Dick has done not only locally, but nationally has been tremendous. He must be so happy knowing he has watched the Cougar program go from one of that tiny little school on the Prairies to one that is the envy of many others across Canada because of the athletes, coaches and facilities we have.

--I've had a lot of people tell me through one means or another that Saturday's Rams game at UBC that I had to call by cellphone because of phone line problems wasn't as bad as I think it was and that they were quite impressed with the way everything was handled. I do appreciate the comments, but it doesn't change my feelings on the matter any. Part of me wants to go back and listen to a part of it just to see how bad it sounded and another part of me is just saying walk as far away as that disaster as I can. U of S play-by-play guy Brendan Crowe e-mailed me to ask what happened as the Huskies have to play in Vancouver. I let him know and said my fingers would be crossed. He says they have had problems there before. Oyyyyyy!!!

--As much as I love the NFL, they do some dumb things. Why are the Lions and Falcons playing a game at 730 Sunday morning from London, England. Will there be a huge audience for that tilt? I think CTV will have the game on as part of its Sunday package. Unless you're a Lions or Falcons fan, would you get up to watch this. Then again, I know a Lions fan in this town and I know a Falcons fan in this town too. Seeing the way their teams have played, I might just wanna sleep in on Sunday.

--It sucks when your fantasy football team gets 36 points in a week, but its great when you find out you didn't have the lowest score of the week!!!

--Week 8 NFL Lock Of The Week ----Patriots over Bears
   Week 8 NFL Upset Of The Week---Jags over Dolphins and yes I considered Panthers over Seahawks

--What would it take for Regina to get an NBA Exhibition game here? I think there would be a great appetite for a Raptors game at the Brandt Centre. If tickets weren't excessively expensive (50 to 75), I think it would sell out---especially now that there is a scoreboard above center ice.

--I'll be very interested to see how far this lawsuit against the Canadian Hockey League goes. If it succeeds, I think you will see a very different way junior hockey operates and it won't be good.

That's all I got. Have a good weekend! GO RIDERS!!!!  GO SEAHAWKS!!!


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the early morning Sunday game from London! My religion is Football, and therefore Sunday is my big day. Three games on CTV! It does not get better than this my friends.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing what Toston does.

Anonymous said...


The Oilers will be fine. They are just starting to develop some consistency now. Lets see where they are 20 games in.

Anonymous said...

Toston has a great opportunity before him. He could be part of a revised three-headed monster. Hope the kid does not become a goat!

Anonymous said...

Anyone have a prediction as to when the Pats will pull in crowds over 4000? In a city this big, its time!

Anonymous said...

US hockey teams will be a thing of the past if this suit comes to fruition.

Anonymous said...

Another school shooting in the US today. It reminds me of the big billboard over the freeway outside Fenway Park in Boston I saw in May when I was there. It has a counter which shows the number of Americans killed by guns since the elementary school massacre at Sandy Hook. It had risen to over 4000 and I noticed the next day that the number had gone up again. Everyday, people are getting killed by bullets. The gun industry and its lobby has a firm lock on the politicians down there.

Anonymous said...

You're damn right we won't be intimidated. Some gutless coward will never change the way we operate on a day to day basis. RIP Corporal Cirillo!

Wayne

Anonymous said...

You're damn right we won't be intimidated. Some gutless coward will never change the way we operate on a day to day basis. RIP Corporal Cirillo!

Wayne

Anonymous said...

A Lions-Falcons game at 730 AM? Is that a way to get people to go to church? Two sorry-ass football teams at a bad time.

Anonymous said...

A terrible day for Canada, but a great day for Canada in the hours after as we show how great a country we are. The ceremony in Calgary last night left me a little misty-eyed. I can only imagine what Don Cherry will do on HNIC this week.

Shannon

Anonymous said...

There are some who still must think Parker owns the Pats. Regina should re-introduce themselves to the Pats, they might like what they see.

Anonymous said...

Eat more hot dogs and nachos