Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

The CFL Can't Like This

The numbers are out for Sunday's Super Bowl. If I'm CFL commissioner Marc Cohon, I can't be happy with what I'm seeing. Numbers released Monday show 6.7 million Canadians watched the Saints beat Indy. Compare that to November where 6.1 million Canadians watched the Grey Cup between the Riders and the Alouettes. It means more Canadians watched the NFL championship game than the CFL championship game. Yes, its only 600-thousand, but I would have to think the CFL commissioner must be concerned with that. Even though the CFL is going through a great time right now, it doesn't say a lot when more Canadians are tuning in the Super Bowl than the Grey Cup.
What's the reason for this? Is it the commercials? Is it the NFL has a bigger fan base in this country than what we think? Is it something else? It perhaps is just a sign to the commissioner that he must do something to get CFL fans back in Southern Ontario. I'm guessing that is where you will find the disparity. It would be interesting if we could get a province-by-province breakdown but that isn't going to happen. There is no way more people in Saskatchewan watched the Super Bowl than the Grey Cup. I'm guessing it was that way in Alberta and Manitoba as well. I can see more people in Ontario watching the Super Bowl, I would think it would be pretty even in Quebec, and I'm not sure what it would be like in the Maritimes just because there is no CFL presence there on a permanent basis.
-----
24 hours after the Super Bowl and the big question is what did Sunday's loss do to the legacy of Peyton Manning. Manning had a chance to put his paws on the Vince for a 2nd time, but his 4th quarter interception that Tracy Porter took back for six killed Indy's hopes. With what he has done in the playoffs, is he really any better than Brett Favre. For everything Favre did, he has only won one Super Bowl. Manning should have more chances than Favre to win a 2nd one, but his hopes of catching Tom Brady and Joe Montana took a serious hit with yesterday's loss. Both guys are hall of famers, but both are going to be known for making bad throws at bad times. Both men are going to Canton, but Manning's legacy has taken a big hit. He could have cemented himself as one of the greatest of all time by winning his 2nd Super Bowl. Instead, he is being looked at today as a quarterback who is 9-9 career in the playoffs and 1-1 in the big game. In the eyes of many, he is no better now than Drew Brees. Whether its right or wrong, greatness is measured in the amount of championships that are won by many. Who's kidding who, Eli has just as many titles as his little brother.
-----
Toyota is going all out to get consumer confidence back in the wake of the little problem with its accelerators. They have many commercials out there saying they are sorry. Yeah OK, I get that, but I think they should change their slogan. That slogan is "Moving Forward". That's the problem guys, Toyota's are moving forward and faster when they shouldn't be!
------
One last thing. Happy Anniversary! It was one year ago that I started doing this little thing. Rod Pedersen had always bugged me to do one when I was at CJME. I had a blog on the station website that was updated frequently as was requested, and I had my nightly commentary. I told Rod my blog was a 60 second audio one every night at 630. I had my chance to have my say on everything every night. Bottom line, I didn't need to do one. As soon as I got my walking papers, Rod and I went for lunch and after I told my long-time friend what had gone down, he said "You gotta start a blog". I thought about it and well you know the rest of the story. Yes Mitch-haters, blame Pedersen for all of this. Anyhow, thanks Rod! This blog will never be an award-winner or will never be seen by as many people that read yours across this country on a daily basis, but I appreciate and truthfully still am surprised by as many visits as what this blog gets. I didn't think one year after starting this, I would be just under 150-thousand visits. Thanks to all of you who drop by and all of you that have had kind words over the past year.
-----
As you start your Tuesday, ask yourself this....

If a mute swears, does his mother make him wash his hands with soap?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

One reason the Super Bowl gets a higher rating: It's on CTV available everywhere, while the Grey Cup is on TSN (cable). No doubt it's an Ontario thing, but I don't see a need for the CFL to get too worked up. By the way CTV, way to support a Canadian product (not!)

Anonymous said...

Mitch the Grey Cup was on TSN a cable channel...still alot of viewers in Ontario don't have access...through the GreyCup on CTV and the numbers go way up

Anonymous said...

I don't think a disparity of 600000 is something to get too worked up about. It is surprising though that more Cdns are watching the SB than the GC. Maybe TSN should give the Grey Cup to CTV next year and then an actual comparison can be made.

Chris G

Anonymous said...

Who cares what you think!


Angela

Anonymous said...

I wasn't aware that Peyton Manning was also supposed to recover onside kicks for Indy too. His legacy is secure, and he will go down as the number 2 all time greatest. It would be very hard to supplant Joe Montana from that spot. For the past 10 years Brett Farve has degraded himself to the point he is no longer in the conversation let alone the top 5.

Manning's playoff record being 9-9? How many other QB's have even come close to getting their teams into the playoffs that many times. When you factor in this era of football, and the cap system it is constant turnover of personell. He still is the reason that team competes year in and year out.

If Adam Viniterri misses his field goals then Tom Brady is a one time winner of the Super Bowl. There is more to it than just one guy. If Scott Norwood makes his field goal then Jim Kelly gets his ring. If Don Shula puts together a running game to go along with Marino's passing they would have probably won one. There were Receivers on Indy that dropped passes, and frankly Sean Payton outcoached Jim Caldwell. That is the story of this year's game.

Obama

Anonymous said...

people are like sheep...they buy into the hype...let's watch manning and brees...let's watch the commercials...blah blah blah...no need to compare our product to the no fun league...thye're both good games...they're both worth watching...

mongo

Anonymous said...

CFL ratings were way more impressive considering they were only broadcast on a Cable network that many Cdns still don't even have

Anonymous said...

You don't think it eats at Peyton that someone like Ben Rothlisberger has more Super Bowls than him. He has just as many as Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson. I don't see the Colts taking any downward turns so I think Indy can get back in the big game, but it does seem that Peyton has a problem winning the big games. Favre and Manning don't have the poise that Brady has and that Montana had. That poise under pressure is what makes them succeed.

Happy anniversary!

Terry C

Anonymous said...

Just so you know I enjoyed the chemistry between you and Drew on the radio and now I read your blog daily, and I listen to Drew when it works out...

Glenn Szabo said...

Happy Anniversary Mitch ! Your blog is part of my day each day. Its a great way to keeep up with whats going on in the 306 and I have always appreciated your enthusiasm about sports in Sask.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Mitch. love your blog, but it needs more F1.

KC

Kevin said...

Congrats on the one year anniversary dude! You've got a great blog - keep up the great work.

As a few people have already mentioned, I think the fact the Grey Cup was on TSN isntead of CTV played a big factor. And the hype, rightfully so, was higher with the Superbowl as Peyton Manning took on Drew Brees.

I'd also suspect more people in Ontario were watching the Superbowl than the Grey Cup which gave it a slightly higher edge.

As for Manning's legacy - not a fan of him not shaking the Saints hands after the game...

Anonymous said...

Can anyone tell me what the numbers are during the CFL season when they are going to head-to-head with the NFL on Sundays? I think the CFL would win out there--especially in Saskatchewan. I have Sunday Ticket and I have to wonder how many others do. Bottom line is if its football, I watch.

Brian