Tuesday, February 3, 2015
UFC 183 Shocker
UFC 183 was supposed to go down as one of the biggest nights of the year with the return of former pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz, but now Silva's victory has been marred following positive drug tests for both fighters from the main event.
The UFC said it was informed on Tuesday that Silva tested positive for Drostanolone metabolites in a pre-fight drug test administered by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Jan. 9. The commission also said it had found traces of another banned substance, Androstane, in Silva's system. His post-fight tests reportedly have yet to be returned.
Diaz tested positive for marijuana metabolites in a post-fight drug test. The UFC confirmed it had been notified of that in a statement Tuesday.
Regarding Silva's positive test, "UFC’s understanding is that further testing will be conducted by the Commission to confirm these preliminary results," the UFC said in a separate statement. "Anderson Silva has been an amazing champion and a true ambassador of the sport of mixed martial arts and the UFC, in Brazil as well as around the world. UFC is disappointed to learn of these initial results.
"The UFC has a strict, consistent policy against the use of any illegal and/or performance enhancing drugs, stimulants or masking agents by its athletes."
News of the positive test results was first reported by Yahoo!.
Commission chairman Francisco Aguilar had no explanation for why he did not receive the Jan. 9 test result sooner, but told Yahoo "I would have had no problem calling the fight."
This is the first time in an MMA career that spans nearly 18 years and 40 fights that Silva has tested positive for any banned substances. The commission will meet next on Feb. 17 and likely hand down a temporary suspension against Silva until a full hearing can be held at a later date. Yahoo reported that the fight likely will be ruled a no-contest.
As for Diaz, this is the third time he has tested positive for marijuana during his career. The first time happened when Diaz fought Takanori Gomi in PRIDE back in 2007, and he received a six-month suspension. Diaz tested positive again following his welterweight title fight against Carlos Condit in 2012 and was handed a one-year suspension for the second offense.
This third result likely will land Diaz in hot water again, considering it's the same drug he's been busted for in the past, and considering that the Nevada State Athletic Commission recently raised the legal limits for athletes in regards to marijuana, and Diaz still tested positive.
The new legal limit is 150 ng/mL, which is the same standard set forth by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and triple the testing threshold that existed when Diaz tested positive the first two times.