Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Tate Talks About His Concussion




The Calgary Stampeders have released this statement ( or should I say tatement) from quarterback Drew Tate about comments he made to TSN at halftime yesterday and to media after the game regarding his health during yesterday's win over the Riders.



“I got dinged in the second quarter and there was some fuzziness on that drive, but I obviously knew what I was doing and had no problems. By the time I got to the sideline and talked to everyone, I felt fine.

”The reason I said I didn’t remember anything from the first half was because we didn’t play great and I just wanted to move on. Looking back, I answered that question way too casually but it was because I just wanted to go start warming up for the second half. For me, I meant it like forgetting about a play and moving on to the next play during a game.

“After the game, I told media guys that I was having a hard time concentrating when they were asking questions. There was just so much adrenaline from winning the game, from everything that happened during the week with my family, with being named the starter. Again, I answered questions about the hit too casually because it wasn’t a big deal to me. I just said whatever because the moment was very overwhelming.

“As far as talk about a concussion, I didn’t get what the fuss was because I felt fine and just wanted to play. I told the doctors that when they were testing me on the sideline and in the locker-room at halftime. They said they were being precautionary and that was good, but I knew I was fine and just wanted to go.”

Stampeders medical staff followed procedures closely and administered the full range of concussion tests to Tate including a sideline SCAT (Sports Concussion Assessment Tool) test and a neurological examination and SCAT test at halftime. Tate was cleared to return to action under close supervision. Following the game, he was given a SCAT2 test and a full neurological examination. On Monday, he was given another SCAT2 test and an impact test. Tate passed all of these tests.

No comments: