The Saskatchewan Roughrider Plaza of Honour Committee has announced two new members will be inducted into the Plaza of Honour as the class of 2017. This year, Wes Cates and Roger Brandvold will have their names forever etched into Saskatchewan Roughriders history.
The Plaza of Honour presented by SaskTel has inducted 125 individuals who have made major contributions to the proud tradition of the Saskatchewan Roughrider Football Club. The club has also inducted the 1966, 1989 and 2007 Grey Cup championship teams.
The Roughriders along with the Plaza of Honour Committee are also excited to announce a new cairn recognizing the Plaza of Honour inductees will be erected outside the southeast gate, adjacent to Elphinstone Street, at the new Mosaic Stadium.
The SaskTel Plaza of Honour is known as one of Saskatchewan’s most prestigious sports receptions and has contributed over $6 million to the Saskatchewan Roughrider Football Club.
This year’s event is set for Friday, September 22nd at Mosaic Stadium. The refreshed new-look cocktail-style reception will include a tiered ticketing option for access to one of three locations – AGT Lounge, Harvard Studio 620, or stadium bowl seating.
- Born in Columbus, Ohio in 1979
- Played five of his six CFL seasons with the Roughriders
- Played his college football at California University of Pennsylvania
- Originally acquired in June of 2007 after spending one season with the Calgary Stampeders
- Played 76 regular-season games with the Green and White
- Finished his Rider career with 904 carries for 4,761 yards and 38 touchdowns, while adding 183 receptions for 1,779 yards and five touchdowns
- Played in six playoff games totaling 62 carries for 275 yards and two touchdowns
- Played in the 2007, 2009 and 2010 Grey Cup games, rushing for 232 yards and one touchdown on 36 carries
- Won the Grey Cup with Saskatchewan in 2007
- Selected CFL All-Star in 2008
- Selected West Division All-Star in 2008 and 2010
- Nominated as Riders Most Outstanding Player in 2008.
- Born in Saskatoon, SK in 1956, before growing up in Central Butte, SK
- Member of the Executive Committee for the 2003 Grey Cup
- Appointed to the Riders Board of Directors in 2005
- Elected Vice-Chairman for the Riders Board of Directors in 2008
- Served on the CFL Board of Governors as Alternate Governor in 2008 then Governor beginning in 2010
- Elected Chairman for the Rider Board of Directors in 2010
- Member of the CFL Executive Committee from 2010-13, during which participated in the league’s negotiation of the television broadcast agreement
- Served as co-Chair for the 2013 Grey Cup
- Influential voice in the advancement and construction of new Mosaic Stadium
- As Chairman, won Grey Cup championship as member of 2013 Roughriders
Post a Comment