Pages

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Riders Sign RB Trent Richardson



After turning down an opportunity to join the Saskatchewan Roughriders earlier this season, 26 year old running back Trent Richardson has now signed with the team.

The 3rd overall pick in the 2012 draft has not played football since the end of the 2014 season.  During his time with the Cleveland Browns and Indianapolis Colts, the University of Alabama product played 46 games gaining 2,032 yards and 17 touchdowns while making 113 catches for 912 yards and two TD's.

Richardson had many things to say to Regina reporters today as he was grilled for the first time.


  • Feels good to be in Saskatchewan, but it feels good to be back on the field and having guys introduce themselves to me
  • I've been talking to Coach Jones for a long time, and got to know him real well for the last couple of weeks.  He got to hear what I can offer, and for him to help me be a better player, a better father, a better motivator to myself and my kids. He is the guy to lead me in that direction
  • I didn't sign the first time because I wanted to make sure everything was in place. I wanted to make sure all was good with my family and my kids before I left. 
  • I'm not sure about the difference in rules, but I know if you put the pigskin in my hands, I'm going to run and look to get to the endzone. 
  • I think it is a chance to get back on the NFL radar, but I'm just here to play when the opportunity presents itself and I am ready to do what I do best. If the NFL comes calling again, they do
  • I've had the itch to play football since my NFL window closed.  I had to stop watching football (unless it was Alabama football), Sportscenter and a lot of sports because I wanted to play. I can't let it go because I'm too young to be sitting on the sidelines. 

When asked about Richardson, Head Coach and General Manager Chris Jones had the following things to say
  • He's 26 years old, and he's a good athlete,. It looks like he's in good shape so we'll see how he does
  • As far as his schedule, we are going to spend a lot of time with him over the next couple of days to see what type of CFL conditioning he is in. We won't put him in there until he knows everything including pass protection. 
  • He's a high profile guy, that played at a high profile school and played at a high level. He's a good football player. 
  • We've had a lot of NFL guys come through that haven't made it. Until you get them on the field and see what type of shape they are in, and what committment they have before I make a decision as to whether or not he ends up on the roster. 

Jones added REC Naaman Roosevelt won't play in Ottawa Friday as he continues to recover from a huge hit he absorbed Sunday vs Calgary.  Jones said he could be back for the game in Toronto in October 7.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what! We could have Todd Gurley or Dalvin Cook here and we won't run the ball. GLad to see the Harris kid got a real shot.

Anonymous said...


If he can play, this is huge.

However, he hasn't played in a long time and he was a huge bust.


Todd

Anonymous said...


Lot of football left in this guy. He's just 26! Let's see what he can do!


Todd

Anonymous said...


I agree with Todd, but I don't think he plays. Sure would like to know what Jones' agenda is on these guys. I don't want the Riders to be the CFL home for washed up NFL guys.


Steve