Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Thanks For The Memories Scott!!




It was the Wednesday before Grey Cup 2007. Wray Morrison and myself were just arriving in Toronto to begin our Grey Cup coverage on CJME. We were staying at the Skydome Hotel and as I looked at my watch upon arriving, I knew I had time to get some tape of the guys even though it would be tight as their practice would be coming to an end about the time we got to the hotel.
Wray said he would set up and start the show with Drew Remenda and that I can try and get some tape for usage the next morning and for the show that night if I could get there. Even though I wasn't accredited yet, Rider communications man Ryan Whippler said there shouldn't be a problem getting interviews so with scant minutes to spare, I got on to the Skydome turf. I spoke with a few players and then went into a room where some of the guys would speak to the national media en masse. Of course the national media wanted to hear from Scott Schultz. Why wouldn't they?? If you needed a quote, he was the guy to get it from.

The national media gets together in this room--not a large one. I have my recorder rolling and am sitting at the back of the room. Scott walks in, he surveys the room and then says "Thanks everyone for showing up. Mitch its nice to see you in the back of the room and I'm glad you dressed up for the occasion." Yes, I was wearing a black t-shirt and jeans and was quite under-dressed compared to some of the others in the room. I thanked him then and I laugh about it now.

I also remember walking into the Rider dressing room after the game. One of the first people I saw was Schultzie as he puffed away on a cigar. You could see the relief on the faces of many, but it was so evident on Scott. The years of the blood, sweat and tears he had given to the game was finally giving back by giving him that championship feeling. He relished in every moment of it as well he should. Its one of the lasting images I have of that special Sunday night.

Make no doubt about it, number 96 will be missed by everyone connected with the Riders. Some are questioning his reasons for leaving, but I'm not. He was thinking about life after football, and he has the opportunity to do something that will carry him through for a number of years. Unfortunately, it means he has to give up football, but he leaves on his terms and does not leave because of injury or health. He must be applauded for that.

He is one of the more popular players in Riders history, and being a local like Bill Baker, Roger Aldag or Bob Poley, he will always be around and he will always be embraced as one of the good guys.
One last thing. As I sat beside the table where Schultz and Jim Hopson sat, I couldn't help but wonder if I am seeing the present and the future of this organization. Hopson has done a tremendous job as president and CEO of the football club. As I have said on many occasions, Hopson is the reason why this team's fortunes have changed. Success starts at the top and filters its way down. I wonder if some day after Jim's days are done if Schultz could assume the position. I don't think the organization's committment to excellence would change any. I think Jim was thinking what I was to as he made a statement about two big bald guys up there and that one needs to grow a white goatee. It would not surprise me one bit if some day Schultz has a high position within the organization if not the top one. The same goes for guys like Makowsky and O'Day.
Best of luck to you Schultzie!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott will be missed and yes he could have a future like Hopson.

tom

Anonymous said...

I find it odd that Schultz is bailing on his team midway through the season. Could he not have played until the season was over and then retire. Something fishy is happening here. Tell us the real story Mitch

Gary

Anonymous said...

Great story Mitch. Wasn't that the show where Remenda said "Four hours of Grey Cup talk for the next three nights--SHOOT ME NOW". I remember ragging on you about that at Riderville. CJME should have fired that clown right then and there.

Schultzy will be missed. I hope he comes back to give us one more Moose Jaw stomp at the Hamilton game.

CR

Mike from Vita said...

Why do people think Schultz is baling on the team? Think of all the guys that get cut during the course of a season. Isn't the team baling on them? When an opportunity presents itself, that is too good to pass up, a person has to strike while the iron is hot. We can fault a person for looking out for his family; wouldn't we do the same?

rf44 said...

prssident? cmon...i love schultzy as much as anyone but hopson is a professional reared in 35 years of provincial admin administration and leadership. leave schultzy to drink beers, smoke cigars and crack jokes for the next 50 years. we are just overcoming 30 years of bush league. hopson couls run a fortune 500. to compare the two is crazy.

Mike from Vita said...

If Lyle Bauer could become the President of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Schultz can become the Pres of the Riders. Sure, he wouldn't be able to be as "off the wall" as he is, but he is the epitome of what Saskatchewan people are...honest, hardworking, and someone who "GIVES A DAMN"

Anonymous said...

RF44

I'm guessing Hoppy was a Schultz like clone when he played. This could just be the beginning for Schultz. He will get some experience doing this and if given the opportunity, you know he would embrace it because he knows what the Riders mean to Saskatchewan. Yeah he would come to the table drinking a beer and puffing on a big old stogie but if he has the brainpower to succeed, I say why not. This wouldn't surprise me--but it would if he was Hopson's immediate replacement.

Chris G

huh said...

Jim hopson has a ba, ma and phd and thirty years of application. As for the Lyle Bauer comment, are you suggesting we start using the Blue Bombers as a template for how we want our team to head into the future. Hopson is a professional who also has a football background. No offence to Schultz but these positions are not for the common man. To think that Hopson is great because of his personality and football background is insulting to his professional abilities.

Anonymous said...

OK. Lets look at Edmonton where Hugh Campbell turned that organization into the envy of the CFL for years. Hughie knew what it took and he got the job done. If someone wants to stop priming Schultz for Rider prez/CEO in 20 years time, I'd be in favour of it. Put Geno in there as well.

Matt