Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Week 6 CFL Picks

An 0-4 week leaves me at 10-10 going into Week 6 of the season. There has been tremendous parity in the league this year and while there appear to be a couple of mismatches on the sked, you just never know.

TORONTO AT MONTREAL

If Toronto doesn't take a time count penalty at the end of last week's game against Winnipeg, they beat the Bombers and are likely feeling good about themselves. That didn't happen so now questions are being thrown out there. Most of them revolve around Kerry Joseph. Is he washed up?? Are his best days behind him??? Yes he threw four INTS last week, but his receivers didn't help him out. I can't see the Argos winning in Montreal, but I do see Joseph playing better. In the end though, Calvillo is too much for Toronto. They win by 14 or more.

SASKATCHEWAN AT B.C.

Its hard to believe that at the end of Friday night, a Wally Buono coached team could be 1-5. They are reeling. A-J Harris and JaJuan Armour have been brought in to hopefully change the team's fortunes. This is a team that has no confidence right now. They take on a team that is brimming with confidence after what happened in Calgary last weekend. The Riders traditionally play pretty well at B.C. Place and I think they will do so again tonight. Will it be enough to win?? Yes! I say they make the big play in the 4th quarter and they win the football game by less than a touchdown. Could it come down to Luca's foot? Maybe!

EDMONTON AT HAMILTON

No doubt about it, Richie Hall and Marcel Bellefeuille have improved the fortunes and play of their respective teams. While I like the way Hamilton is playing, there is something about Edmonton that still doesn't sell me on them---at least not yet. A good performance tonight could change that. I think the Eskimos have the better defence in this one and Ricky Ray beats either Quinton Porter or Kevin Glenn in the QB matchup so I will take Edmonton to win this one on the road in what will be a great game.

WINNIPEG AT CALGARY

The Bombers beat Calgary in Winnipeg earlier this season. The Stamps lost at home to the Riders last weekend. They are angry---they are very angry. This one could be over at half-time. Take the Stampeders and take them big.
-------
It should be an interesting tilt at BC Place tonight. For a more complete story, check out http://www.riderville.com/article/a-duel-in-the-dome. I am interested to see if B.C. is a desperate team or not. Wally Buono is not used to having a football team that has just one win after five weeks and he is making changes. This is still a good team that has guys like Simon. Jackson, Johnson, Miles and Banks on it. B.C will fight tooth and nail to get two points against the Riders. I think this has the potential to be a game very similar to what we saw in Calgary with hopefully the same result. It will be a late night, but I think it will be an entertaining one win or lose.
------
Our World Junior hopefuls continue to hold their summer development camp in Saskatoon. It is interesting to note that several players at this camp may not be at the main camp later this year because they are in the NHL. TSN's Gord Miller and Pierre McGuire saying guys like Matt Duchene, Cody Hodgson and Evander Kane may be in the NHL next season thus they won't be suiting up for Canada. Not having Hodgson would be tough, as I thought he might have been Canada's best player throughout that tournament. Regardless of who wears the Maple Leaf in Saskatchewan next Christmas, one knows that the best 22 players at camp will be there. Tavares won't be there and Hodgson might not be there, but Canada will still have a squad more than ready to complete a "Saskatchewan Sixpack". One other player that may not be there is Kelowna's Tyler Myers. With all apologies to Luke Schenn fans, I actually think Myers is better now than what Schenn was when he was at this point. Luke might turn into the better NHL'er and there isn't a lot to differentiate between the two, but if I had my choice, I would take Myers.
-------
Looks like there will be some disappointed music fans this weekend. From what I am hearing, Steven Tyler broke his shoulder when he fell off the stage in South Dakota Wednesday night and instead of being in Regina doing his thing with Aerosmith, he will be in Boston rehabbing. Hopefully he can make it, but he won't be moving around the way he normally would be. I didn't get a ticket for this one so whether they play or not, it matters none to me.
------
Jeremy Roenick has called it quits. How long till he ends up on TSN??? Tell me that Roenick would not be a great addition to the panel. Who's kidding who, the more TV exposure Roenick can give the NHL, the better it will be. He should be on NBC, ESPN, Versus. whatever.
------
The Yankees honored Muhammad Ali before their game against Boston on Thursday night. Every time I see Ali, I just shudder when I see what he is now compared to what he was. Talk about the Jordans, Woods and Gretzky's all you want, but Ali might be the greatest we have ever seen. He has certainly sacrificed more than the other legends.
------
Whatever happened to Gustavo Chacin??????

6 comments:

JC said...

Last I heard about Chacin he was in the minors with Nats. That might have changed.
His career hit the dumps with injuries and his cologne!! Although I seriously want to get my hands on a bottle!!! I can put it next to my Beavis and Butthead cologne and my Brut!! Maybe I will post an ad on kijiji in TO and find some!!!

Cheers
JC

Mike from Vita said...

CFL Picks

montreal over Toronto-won't be close
Rider over BC- Will be a squeaker
Hamilton over Edmonton-Home field advantage
Winnipeg over Calgary- Stumps are reeling, while Bishop will pull another rabbit out of his hat

Mitchell Blair said...

Gustavo Chacin had a cologne? Really!! That one slipped by me.

Kim K. said...

okay...gotta do my pics for this week...seeing that I will finally get to watch all four games this week.

Les Alouettes over the boatmen by 2 touchdowns
Riders over the Leos by less than a TD
Edmonton over the Tabbies by 10 points
Calgary over the Bombers by 2 TD's.

Still wondering why Saskatchewan's Sexiest Blogger still hasn't submitted picks?

JC said...

Check out one of the promo's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mIAY8vRa3U

JC

Tarcy said...

JR on TSN? Never was a big fan of the guy, but he's GOT to be better than "le douche" Pierre McGuire.

TS in Edm.