Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Whole Lotta This And A Whole Lotta That!

Welcome to the end of March. Baseball season begins Friday and the Masters are right around the corner. Look outside, can't you tell. I have just had it with this winter. Is it just me or has this winter just dragged on and on and on. I don't want a quick melt so temperatures in that plus 1 to 3 range are OK, but I want to see the grass in my backyard again. I want to get the barbecue going and I want to get the clubs out. During Sunday's World Womens Curling Championship, Global Regina news director Brent Williamson asked in a tweet to Duke Meyers, Warren Woods, Murray McCormick, Jamie Nye and myself when was the last time this many sports guys were up this early on a Sunday morning. Jamie quickly replied golf season and then took a good natured dig at Duke and Lee Jones. Someone asked him when golf season was and I replied about one week in June and one week in August. Isn't that the way its been?
-----
Amber Holland didn't win gold at the WWCC, but she and her team need not hang their heads after providing Regina, Saskatchewan and Canadian curling fans with a tremendous weekend of curling which was full of great shots from the skipper. It seemed like time and time again, Amber needed a big shot and she came through. It made you think that draw to the button would be a simple one, but I really don't know if she could have thrown much more weight than she did on that final shot. If she does, she probably crashes on the guard out front. It ends a year where Saskatchewan won the womens title and both junior titles with a pair of silver medals and a 4th on the world stage along with hosting a world event starting next weekend. Not too shabby! We have a lot to be proud of when it comes to curling in this province and there is no reason to think we can't do it again very soon.
------
Do we really need a Scream 4?
-----
In a real life Family Guy, who would play Lois Griffin?
-----
How unpredictable has this year's NCAA mens basketball tournament been? ESPN had 4.9 million people fill out brackets and in the end, only two have Butler, Virginia Commonwealth, Connecticut and Kentucky as their final four teams. TWO!
------
I thought the Oilers had driven the final nail into the Flames playoff coffin on Saturday night. They led 4-1 with 12 minutes to go, but they gagged and lost 5-4 in overtime. I had tweeted about how good it was to see the Flames go down at the hands of the Oilers only to have some ask me why I have the gall to not cheer for a Canadian team. How many times do I have to say this. I don't care if the team is based in Canada. Guys like Ales Kotalik, Olli Jokinen and Miikka Kiprusoff are not Canadian. If there was a Canadian based NHL team with 20 Canadians on them, I would root for them, but there isn't. I'll have to look once the playoffs start to see what team has the most Canadians on it. I'm thinking off the top of my head that it could be Philly. Those that say you should cheer for this team or that team just because they're Canadian is one of my pet peeves.
-----
I hope one of our sports networks allows us to see the Frozen Four (the NCAA mens hockey championship). It is always great hockey and it will be again this year with Notre Dame, Minnesota-Duluth, North Dakota and Michigan. The semi-finals are April 7. It would be odd seeing Michigan and Notre Dame fighting it out for a hockey title since they are one anothers rival on the gridiron.
------
I know there is good Canadian music out there somewhere. It wasn't at the Junos. Canada is not hip-hop and rap and I can't stand Michael Buble so there. Give me some good old Bryan Adams ahead of that sludge that was trotted out on stage last night. (Arcade Fire and Hedley excluded). Speaking of Hedley, that was the worst mustache I have ever seen on Jacob Hoggard and as Mrs. Scruffy said, he must get up every day and thank Canadian Idol. He is the biggest one to come off that show is he not?
-----
How about this endorsement of the Rider Nation from Winnipeg! WOW!!!
-----
Season 2 of "The Hard Times of RJ Berger" begins tonight on Muchmusic. Its a good show, but its made that much better by former Seahawks cheerleader and hottie extraordinaire Amber Lancaster.



-------
I really don't think I can end it on a better note than that can I. Have a good Monday and yes, wrestling fans, you are now less than one week to Wrestlemania 28.
------








6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We don't have a golf season around here. We have golf days and you have to be pretty smart to figure out when they are going to be. I hope its not like that this year.

Kevin

Anonymous said...

I watched the Junos for 45 minutes last night. Bryan Adams presented an award to Shania Twain and those were the only two names I knew.

Anonymous said...

Ms. Lancaster could play Lois Griffin if she looks like that.

Greg said...

At a bar last night; I met this really pretty girl wearing a sweater with a big Oilers Logo on the front.
I walked up to her and said 'Hi, my name is Three Goal Lead'

I was thinking someone wearing a Oilers jersey would be quite likely to blow a three goal lead.

Anonymous said...

Even this Oiler fan has to laugh at that one Greg!!

Anonymous said...

How can you even think about golf when you look outside! Don't torture yourself that way.

Pretty heady compliment for a guy from Winnipeg on the Rider Nation. When he says he's a Pittsburgh fan, I sense some bias there, but there may be no more passionate fan base down south than what Pittsburgh has.

Would you play Peter Griffin? Cheap shot.

JN