Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

How Can You Not Love Jordan Eberle!

First off, a Happy New Year to you all. May 2010 bring you happiness and a lot of positives. The year is certainly starting off on a rather cold note as the temperatures got down into the mid minus 30's to ring in the New Year. However, Canadian hockey fans may not have noticed thanks to our guy.




Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that Jordan Eberle isn't the best damn junior hockey player not only in Canada, but the world. When the chips were down for Team Canada, Eberle came through once again. In a game that was better than last year's classic in Ottawa, Canada came back to beat the U-S in a shootout 5-4 in what was a nailbiter. The U-S had a two goal lead and were oh so close to making it 5-2 only to have an American player bounce one off the goalpost. With Canada seemingly resigned to the fact it may have to play in a quarter-final game, Eberle deflected one past Jack Campbell to make it 4-3 and give Canada some life. Alex Pietrangelo then scores shorthanded with about two and a half minutes left to tie it and then Eberle just about won it at the end of overtime.
In the end, Canada wins it to advance to the semi-finals. They are two wins away from gold. It was great to see this team finally battle through some adversity. They had cruised through unscathed so far and they needed a game like this. Mind you, I could do without some of the errors in their own zone that they had, but it was another World Junior game to remember. Would I like to see a repeat of this for the gold medal. ABSOLUTELY!
------
I'm not a big fan of the shootout and the reason for that was proven again last night. Every Canadian player gave it everything they had and left everything on the ice. The same for the US squad. In the end though, it came down to a skills competition to determine who gets a bye and who doesn't. I hate that. Guys like Colten Teubert, Pietrangelo, Patrice Cormier, etc, etc. etc. should have their chance to keep playing. I know you can't have the kids play all night (although I'm sure those in Saskatoon and watching on TSN wouldn't have minded), and that the shootout is the only way to solve things, but I hate it.
------
The Regina portion of the tournament is over and those in Regina and southern Saskatchewan that went to the games made it a successful week here. I was disappointed to see the amount of empty seats that there were--especially yesterday, but its over now. As the Finns leave Regina, they must wonder what they had to do to score on Brandt Centre ice. After being stoned by Russia's Igor Bobkov earlier in the tournament, they got stoned again by Sweden's Jakob Markstrom yesterday. You don't often outshoot someone 26-3 in the first period and lose 7-1, but that is what happened to Finland. Markstrom stood on his head as his Swedish teammates stood around and watched in the opening 20 minutes. They then got a goal late in the first period off the stick of Anders Petterson to get them going and that was it as far as Finland was concerned.
------
Your quarter-finals will be Russia vs Switzerland and the Finns against the Americans. The U-S had better be ready for that game. If I am correct, the winner of the Russia-Switzerland game gets Canada with the winner of the Finland-US game drawing Sweden in the semis.
------
The Winter Classic goes today with the Flyers and Bruins playing at Fenway Park. I'm sorry, but this just doesn't interest me. I'll watch a few minutes of it, but that's it. I realize that this has turned into something great for the NHL and NBC, but this game is catered to the Americans now as they try and make it a yearly tradition. The league and the network want people to tune in as an alternative to US college football, but for this Canadian, you can't beat the Oilers-Habs game from Commonwealth Stadium a few years ago. You can try to repeat that, but you can't. Or can you? The Hockey News' Adam Proteau has a column on the Hockey News website where he talks about the outdoor game and where it can go from here. He brings up two ideas...ideas that I don't think will ever happen, but they are interesting nonetheless.
Proteau suggests a game in Alaska(think of the movie Mystery, Alaska)where the backdrop of the mountains would be majestic and it would bring the pro game to a state that plays hockey, but never sees anything of the professional variety. The other suggestion is one that I love, but I know there is no way of it ever happening.
Proteau says "picture the made-for-TV moments that would ensue if you sent two teams of NHLers to a pond in Northern Minnesota or Ontario with nary a fan in sight. That’s right, just the players, officials, two nets, a puck and the evening sky. The simplicity of the scene would be unlike anything any sport ever has produced.Granted, the financial logistics of a gate-free outdoor game would need to be addressed, but that’s what title sponsors can help out with. And if the NHL can afford to prop up the Phoenix Coyotes franchise for the next few months with little-to-no payback in sight, surely the 29 other team owners can be persuaded to invest some of their own capital into a concept that already has delivered a wealth of positive exposure for the sport."
If the NHL could ever pull that off, it would be a game for the ages. Alas, I think we all know it will never come to fruition.
------
The Pats are happy to see 2010 arrive because 2009 was a disaster. They lose again 8-4 to the Kootenay Ice. Newly acquired Brett Martyniuk was shelled in his Regina debut, but it sounds from the blog of Rod Pedersen as if there were several defensive meltdowns that hurt the team. I wonder what their collective record in 2009 was. It couldn't have been very good.
-----
Speaking of RP, he mentions the first anniversary of my departure from CJME in his blog yesterday and that will be an anniversary I won't want to celebrate. I answered back "Wanna bet?". Yeah, the full-time $$$ might not have come in, but I don't miss the fact I didn't have to deal with the day to day disrespect that was shown to me by management in that organization over the past couple of years. Disrespect that continued after I was gone. It sure is funny how "suggestions" made by yours truly to improve the product weren't implemented until after I left. Whatever! They do what they do! That is not my problem anymore. I could say more, but why bother. Do I miss the people I worked with on a day-to-day basis. YUP! Other than that in the words of John Waite "I ain't missing you at all!".
-----
While it wasn't the greatest of years, I did get the chance to work closely with the Riders doing writing for Riderville and I had a chance to do play-by-play of some World Junior Hockey which are two things I would never have experienced had I still been stuck in the tarpits getting disrespected.
I also found out who my friends are. I always knew who I could count on, but several people came through for me this year including a couple that came out of the woodwork. I won't publicly acknowledge(embarrass) them here, but there were four people in particular that really came through for me when they really had no reason to. I think those four know who they are.
------
Just about to forgot to mention that a new law takes effect in Saskatchewan today. You can no longer talk or text on your hand-held cellphone while driving. If you are caught, its a 280 dollar fine and 4 demerit points on your driving record. Personally, I have no problem with stopping texters, but I don't see the problem with talking on the cellphone. Its just like talking to someone else in the car with you. Who the hell is surfing the net while driving! If caught doing that, take more than 4 points away and fine them more than 280 dollars. GOOD GOD!
-----
I just saw TSN's top 3 plays of the Decade. They were 3)Tiger's long winding putt on 17 at the Masters 2)Ovechkin's unreal goal in Phoenix and 1) David Tyree's catch for the Giants in their game winning drive over the Patriots at the Super Bowl. I have no problem with those. What was TSN's Play of the Year for 2009. Was it James Harrison's interception at the Super Bowl or was it Eberle's goal against the Russians at last year's World Juniors. Those would be my top two. While talking about plays of the year, what was your Rider play of the year. For me, it would have to be the Durant to Getzlaf TD toss to win that game in August in Calgary.
------
After the hockey game, I watched "The Hangover". Yes, it is as funny as advertised! It makes me wonder if Plaster and Pedersen wake up in their hotel rooms when on the road and find a tiger in their room. Tell me that when you watch that show, there aren't at least two scenes where you can totally identify with what is happening. Good stuff!
------
If its 35 below outside, it may be a day to stay warm and watch some US college football. I was going to take my six year old daughter toboganning, but I think I will pass on that.
Once again, a Happy New Year to you all. Thanks for checking in.

23 comments:

Mike from Vita, MB said...

Boy were we fortunate to beat the Americans. I didn't realize our D was as slow as they were, or were the Yankee forwards that fast? As one reporter said "Better to find out their weaknesses now, than in the semi's or finals". The coach's will have some leverage to get the players to focus better in practise today and Saturday. Gotta wonder if the Americans put a scare into Sweden? The Tre Kronors may have their hands full.

Anonymous said...

The outdoor game is a celebration of the game. If it helps raise the profile of the game in the US, then I'm for it. However, you are right when you say the first one was the one in Edmonton and you can't duplicate that.

Its a shame Parker hasn't been able to build a winner around Eberle. His talents just go to waste here every night.

You didn't mention it on your poll, but I think Mike Fisher would have been a better choice than a guy like Bergeron. I'd have taken many othe guys including Marc Savard ahead of him.

JN

Anonymous said...

There's nothing wrong with the shootout. You just can't beat the drama and you could have cut the tension in CUC with a knife. It had everyone on the edge of their seats.

I agree with you on the cellphone thing. Talking should be alright, but texting and surfing while driving. That should be a reason to take your licence away.

Happy New Year Mitch

Darrell

Anonymous said...

Canada didn't look good last night and were fortunate to get the win. If the Swedes or the Russians get the goaltending they got in Regina and if the Canadians keep making defensive errors, the golden reign will end.

Willie will have them ready for Sunday though.

All the best in 10

R$

Anonymous said...

The Hangover was the funniest movie I saw in 09. My wife says I can no longer go to Vegas with the boys though. Why???

Why would Eberle want to play for the Pats when he knows he could go for a Mem Cup playing somewhere like Calgary or Tri-Cities. I feel sorry for the kid because his talent is being wasted here.

Anonymous said...

You are better off doing your thing for the Riders than you were doing your thing at CJME. At least the Riders show you some respect unlike what you had at CJME. Then again, the Riders are a top-notch organization, and well, you know the rest.

Happy New Year Mitch!!

Anonymous said...

The 50-50 draw potted someone 93-thousand last night. That is insane! Can you imagine coming home from a hockey game and telling the family you had won 93-grand! Happy frickin New Year!!


Al

Mike from Vita, MB said...

Wouldn't it be a coup if Eberle got traded to (gulp) Saskatoon? Dare to dream because it AINT GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Anonymous said...

Eb's is a talented all around player, but too bad he doesn't have the talent around him to work with on the Pats. I too feel sorry for him to have to come back and play on a losing squad.

You know what I'll miss Mitch? That clean magnificent looking ice surface during the World Juniors. I can't stand looking at that ice with what seems like 50 plus logos packed on it. It looks so tacky.

Happy New Year Buddy!

Trina

Mitchell Blair said...

I'm with you Trina. I was looking for you at the games, but I couldn't find you. Where were ya hiding!

Anonymous said...

Mitch:
If it wasn't for Ted Farr we all know you would have been a lot better off. He proved his radio knowledge by putting Himpe into a position of charge. As you know and everyone connected with 980 knows, Himpe is clueless. As long as that trio of morons make the decisions nothing will change around here. We miss ya!

Anonymous said...

How could you not love the outdoor game. That is hockey the way we played when we grew up. Milbury said after it was like playing until the sun went down and Mom told us it was time to come home. I loved it!

Perry

PS: Hope 10 is better than 09

Anonymous said...

SGI went too far with this law. I'm all for people not driving when they are texting, but carrying on a conversation on a cellphone is like carrying on a conversation with people in your car. I don't find talking on my phone to be distracting. I also think police could be doing a better job of trying to control things like speeders than whether or not someone is talking to someone else on a cell.

Steve

Anonymous said...

Do you think now that some of these European players saw what Regina is like that they may be willing to come here in the Euro draft. That area is one that has been long-suffering for Pats fans. Kalus and Novak are the only ones that did anything when here. Hricina is so bad he didn't get an invite from Slovakia.

Anonymous said...

93-thousand! The winner took home 93-grand or 46,500?

Anonymous said...

I never saw you once Mitch, where were you hiding? I had great seats thanks to Mr. Nate Morrison. It was a great day of hockey yesterday, too bad more people didn't come out.

And yes the 50-50 draw in S'toon was $93,000. They had almost 200 grand in ticket sales...unreal!

Here's to 2010 and the Seahawks getting a good draft pick! Maybe I'll see you at the Pats game on the 8th, you know the game that will have 60 logos on the ice and Safeway logos on the goal posts LOL!

Cheers,
Trina

Anonymous said...

I laugh at everyone that takes the World Jrs so seriously. The rinks in Stoon and Regina are sold out, but when the Blades and Pats play, the rinks are only 2/3 full if that. If Canada didn't win this thing every year, the love affair TSN has with the tournament would end. We all talk about the US doing some flag-waving. The WJ's is just as bad for Canada.

Anonymous said...

I think Cahoon's catch at Mosaic was the play of the year.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, anon. God forbid Canadians should exhibit any patriotism or nationalistic pride. That'd be just awful.

Douche.

Anonymous said...

The law doesn't say you can't talk on your cell phone, it says you can't be holding it in your hand. In other words, you now need to use a hands free kit. That frees up both hands that should be used to drive the car. That, after all, is the most important thing at the time.

Anonymous said...

I saw an accident tonight while on my way home. I was going to phone the police on my cellphone to let them know until I remembered I can't do that anymore. I'm not pulling over to make that call. What a dumb law!

Anonymous said...

Is the world junior hater actually trying to tell us that the hockey the Pats and Blades give us on a nightly basis is the same as to what we have seen here over the last week? If so, someone is still drunk from NYE!


Dave

Anonymous said...

CJME should commemmorate the one year anniversary of your dismissal by celebrating the removal of its biggest no-talent yap!