Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

2012 Starts Now



The Saskatchewan Roughriders haven't been mathematically eliminated from the CFL playoffs, but reality does tell you that the team that has appeared in three of the last four Grey Cups will not have a chance of making it four of the last five. A dismal performance in Edmonton in which they lost 17-1 was the straw that broke the camel's back. Its over.

Yes, it is the CFL and we all know strange things can happen, but does anyone see the Riders winning their last four and Hamilton losing its last four. I think its safe to say that when the Riders head out on the practice field Wednesday to get ready for Sunday's home game against B.C. that it will be the first game of 2012 because that is what this team is playing for now.

This team has the same guys on offense that they had last year with the exception of Rob Bagg. Its inexplicable as to why this team can't get into the endzone. 9 points in 3 games. 9 points!!!! 9 frickin points!!! They haven't had that type of futility since 1939!! Was the forward pass even legal in 1939?? (Lynch, you must have been at those games, what's the answer??). That's just unacceptable Fantuz, Dressler, Getzlaf, Cates, Hughes and Durant did not turn into crap overnight. How and why is this happening? Yes, I guess you can blame it on an aging offensive line, but that's not it entirely.

Darian Durant has his haters, but did Ryan Dinwiddie do anything to instill any confidence amongst those who no longer want Durant here. The popularity scale is now leaning heavily on Cole Bergquist as the denizens want to see what the Montana product can do. Here's my observation on that.....if Ken Miller was willing to put in Darian Durant with a broken foot---yes, a broken foot and not a sprained foot--it must tell you that he doesn't think Bergquist can do the job. Do you really want to see him come out just so you can boo him off the field much like you would have done to Dinwiddie had this game been played at home? There's no doubt that Rider fans are harder on their quarterback than they are anyone else. Rider fans have been clamouring for Dinwiddie. They got their wish today and they turned on him just as quickly as they wanted him under center. Its been the same with other quarterbacks in other years. Does anyone remember the "We should be starting Kevin Mason argument?". How'd that work out. I guess some year we will learn---at least I hope we do.

I will praise Durant for coming out with a broken foot and giving it a shot albeit unsuccessfully. It showed a lot of guts, it showed leadership and it showed the will to win that he has, but I will also criticize Darian for coming out with a broken foot and giving it a shot because he should have been a spectator. His decision was with all due respect, a stupid one. When there is no present(and yes, the team will maintain that they had one going in), you don't screw around with the future. Further damage could have been done and may have been done. We don't know. What we should know is that Bergquist likely deserves a start next week against B.C just to see what he has in a game situation. Dinwiddie certainly doesn't deserve a 2nd start and Durant should be in civvies for the rest of the season because of the foot.

While I have a great deal of respect for Ken Miller, I can't fathom why he would intentionally throw his quarterback into the fire at halftime knowing what his real injury was. That's not right. I'm sure Darian bent his ear big-time wanting to be in there, but he shouldn't have been. As much as I would like to defend Ken on this one, I can't....at least not right now.

Its also time to see if guys like Dan Clark, Patrick Neufeld and Nick Hutchins can play. They are the future.  Lets see if Brandon West can play. I like Wes Cates, but if management feels his time is up like what has happened to Joffrey Reynolds in Calgary, then give West the starting assignment. Some will ask about Hugh Charles. He is done. This team doesn't want him around for whatever reason. That has become evident.

Lets see what Tyron Brackenridge can do. Give Kenny Rowe another shot. Lets see what Freddie Barnes can do. Lets see what some other young guys can do.

People talk about GM Brendan Taman not bringing in talent, yet he has brought in guys like Cary Koch, the aforementioned Bergquist, Tristan Jackson, Chris Graham, Dallas Baker, Chris Butler and Chris Milo. Ernie Wheelwright has only scratched the surface, but he showed signs that he can play this game. The same goes for R.J Roberts.  Yes, he let Chris Williams get away, but every GM has had one of those.

I guess maybe the biggest question has to go out to the Rider Nation. I know Rider football wasn't cool at the end of the Danny Barrett-Roy Shivers era and it only became cool when Eric Tillman came to town and brought Kent Austin with him. I seem to remember there were a few who were cool to Austin's hiring because of his past with this organization, but the team won and under Austin they won it all. Success means forgiveness. You have been spoiled since Jim Hopson started putting his footprints on this team. You enjoyed four very good years and its now up to you to decide if you want to be with this football team as they rebuild or if you are jumping ship only to return when the W's come. I understand the need to be critical. Hell, my teams (Seahawks, Cubs, Oilers, Riders) all suck right now and yeah, it ticks me off but I still support them. It baffles me why Pete Carroll won't go out and get a real quarterback or draft one instead of keeping Tarvaris Jackson who is junk. Yes, it baffles me why the Cubs struggle to get to 500 every year no matter who is calling the shots, yes, it annoys the hell out of me that the Oilers haven't been to the playoffs in how many years, but I haven't given up on them and I won't. I will still cheer for them and I will still buy their apparel to show my pride in that team. I will be full of pride when the glory days return and if one of those teams ever win a damn championship, I'll likely be an emotional mess much like I was (as were many of you) in the hours after the 2007 Grey Cup. Its because we know how much we love our teams and what they mean. I don't give up on my teams only to return when all is good. I can't say that for others.

As I type this, the Detroit Lions are playing on Monday Night Football. The 4-0 Detroit Lions!!!. This was a team that was the laughingstock of the NFL for a decade, but their fans never gave up. The Silverdome and Ford Field was always full of Lions fans on gameday and this from a city that has been hit hard  by the recession. You don't think Detroit fans are loving what's going on right now after spending so many years of misery. They'll be crushed if they stumble down the playoff road, but they were there to see this team turn its fortunes around. They never turned their back on them despite being given every opportunity to do so.

The Riders of 2011 are done. Tell me when the services are and I'll be there. I'll also be back in 2012 and I'll be optimistic (although never as optimistic as Lynch) and I'll be realistic too. I hope those of you that read this will be too.

There's only one question I have now when it comes to 2011 and its one that Lynch asked at the end of the Calgary game last week. Can someone please tell me what the hell happened to this football team from the time they walked off the field at last year's Grey Cup to this year's training camp? That is the million dollar question and while there are a lot of suggestions, there are no answers. Somewhere in that structure on 10th Avenue is the answer and I hope that me or someone whether it be Murray McCormick, Arash Madani, Lee Jones or even Rod Pedersen himself finds out and then delivers the message. I think all of us deserve to know.

TSN's Dave Hodge tweeted a question Sunday night. The tweet read "Q: What could be worse for the Saskatchewan Roughriders than the two heart-breaking Grey Cup losses. A: This. Do you disagree?? I don't. I would gladly take the 13th man fiasco and the pain of the last two years than the sludge we've  been treated to over the last three weeks. Those days will come again and perhaps so will a Sunday like we saw in November of 2007. Its why I won't stop supporting these guys even though I am beyond words as to how horrible they are right now. What are you going to do?

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a Rider found through and through. Here in the good times and the bad times...but that being said we clearly need to take from the last few weeks and move forward.

Give the young guys a try - this year is a write off so we actually have a HUGE advantage right now - we can start planning for next year! Give some of the PR guys a shot to get their feet wet. And hey....we'll get some GREAT draft picks now.

Riders ride on - pick up the pieces and get ready for 2012.

Anonymous said...

I started cheering for this team in '88. I've seen futility before. This is bad. That was worse. This team has been a bad team a lot more than it's been a good team. The difference between then and now is, we have a core to build around, and a man at the helm to steer The Good Ship Rider. Ours is a house in need of a thorough cleaning. Ken Miller must retire. We need at least three "O" lineman and a pair of rush ends. An explosive tailback and a creative young head coach with a fresh perspective.
Jim Hopson must get it done. I don't trust the new fans to sit through what I sat through between '89 & '07. If it happens again, 15 years of embarrassment, we may lose the team. Telethons won't cut it.
"Just Win Baby"

Anonymous said...

Good read!

It hasn't been this bad since the 2-14 years and the talent we have assembled now is wayyyyyy better than the animal droppings we had then. The results are worse though. Miller and Taman must fall on the same sword that Marshall and Berry fell on if the picture is to improve.

I will buy my season tickets, I will cheer and I will swear profusely. I will buy my lottery ticket and I might even buy a new t-shirt or two (much to the wife's disgust since I already have 5 or 6), but I will not stop my support just because the losses outnumber the wins again. I knew the day would come, but I didn't think it would be this quick. It makes me wonder if Danny Macioccia (sp) is advising this team.

Brad

Anonymous said...

That long dissertation was from @BillCompton173

Anonymous said...

You ask what happened between Grey Cup and training camp for starters. 1) Etch was dumped for Hall. 2)Marshall was hired to replace Miller. 3)Fantuz left for the Bears. 4) Szarka was dumped. 5) O'Day retired. 6)Morgan retired.7) Bagg was injured 8) Goodspeed was brought in 9) Gauthier was brought in. Nine moves = 9 points in 3 games.
Elementary my dear Watson.

Mike Stackhouse said...

I'll support them as soon as I see effort. I don't need a winner. Just direction and effort. This team has none of that right now. Frankly, I'd be happy if Hopson cleaned out the cupboard and started over. Hes the only one that gets to stay no questions asked.

don said...

the above comment is a perfect example of band wagon jumping. Yes , not a good year and yes there is need for changes but a true Rider fan, as Mr. Blair says, will be there through thick and thin. We may not like what's transpired this year but have to have faith in Mr. Hopson to right this ship. His past record gives me every indication he will.

Anonymous said...

Why would anyone who calls themself a life long Oilers fan and insists on calling Craig MacTavish McT instead of the correct MacT loses all credibility in my books. Pull your cranium out of ur rectum their tiger.

Anonymous said...

Ther weas no way Miller could have thrown CB in there since he hasn't been getting any reps at practise. It would not have been very fair to Cole. Give him all the reps this week and he is our starter for the rest of the season.

As soon as the season is over, get rid of Hopson. He is the biggest anchor on this team. I don't give a crap how much money the Riders made the last 5 years.. Hopson had NOTHING to do with that. A monkey can make this team a money maker as long as they are winning. Hopson can't produce a winner. He can take his drinking buddy Maz with him.

LP

Anonymous said...

The 13th man fiasco seems so long ago. I moped for days after that. Now I am like a majority of the players---I just don't care anymore because its gotten so bad.

Jerry

Anonymous said...

I won't understand the Jim Hopson hate. He changed the culture here. Would you idiots rather have someone like Danny and Roy in charge of this team? He changed the culture and the team's fortunes improved dramatically. Eric Tillman could not stay after what he had done and Tillman admitted that himself. He is the main reason why this team has had the success it has had both on and off the field. To those who hate Jim Hopson, give me a replacement and if you say Al Ford, please sign your name and address so I can come over and knock some sense into your head.

Riley

Anonymous said...

I am buying my season tickets for next year so I can sell them for profit during Grey Cup.

Anonymous said...

Durant would rather play with virtually no chance at reaching the playoffs when he has a broken foot. I LOVE THAT!!! This guy will do anything he can to win and lead this team. If he had led this team to victory today, this would have been legendary. I wish guys like Getzlaf, Koch and Fantuz, yes I said Fantuz, had his will to win.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

I agree with what Riley says. The Durant haters wanted Dinwiddie to QB and see how that turned out. So lets see who the Hoppy haters want so we can laugh at that too.

Russell

Anonymous said...

Never lose sight of the fact that Durant is not a good quarterback and the team has not investigated other alternatives like the Bombers have done with Brink and Elliot. You mentioned Jackson in Seattle as an overrated pivot, yet you have little criticism toward Durant. To me the situations are identical-a change needs to be made at quarterback with new blood through smart recruitment and scouting. We are not Durant haters-we are realists.

Anonymous said...

Up yours Jim Hopson.

West Central Dave said...

Random thoughts. I will keep buying our season tickets (3) even though the team sucks. How the team got so dumb all at once is very baffling. Play the young guys now and lets see how much they are willing to compete, & hopefully win a couple. If DD is hurt that bad, he shouldn't be playing in this situation. The O-line especially needs an infusion of youth. Is Brent Hawkins still alive? Find another John Chick! Or 2! A new, younger coaching staff would be nice start, with fresh ideas maybe. It's worth a shot. The way I see it the only one safe in coaching/management sector is Hopson. I agree with most of what Mitch said. The core for a strong team is here. Now is the time to start pruning the dead wood though. And one last thought, the anonymous comments on here are not worth worrying about because if they don't have the courage to identify themselves, they aren't worth paying attention to.

chad said...

you all must be 25 ,ndp supporters and live in your moms basement !! durant's has had brused ribs and a broken foot and i beleive sore throwing hand as well ! and he has been getting killed out there ! none of you know anything about football but somehow think your experts ,so just shut up already

Anonymous said...

What happened between the Grey Cup and Training Camp? After two years in the Grey Cup management threw Gary Etchevery under the bus so they could bring back Richie Hall. Someone said "So much for loyalty" and things started to unravel from there.

Tom G said...

From a big rider fan living in Calgary ... still a fan to the end regardless of the record. Time to work on 2012. See what the new faces will do with the team, and have Darian sit back and maybe coach our 2nd and 3rd string QB instead of play. Heck ... Can't get much worse than 9pts in 3 games anyway. Agree with Blair on one thing ... forget about the past, and just bring in the people that will make it work here (too bad Tillman can't come back). Let's see some rookies and maybe a new attitude. Look out CFL, here we come in 2012

Clay said...

I like Taman but you really do have to finger point at him for not bringing in any competent defensive ends. The O-line has been a big disapointment as well. Do you blame Steve Burratto ??? No, he has to work with what he's given. Parenteau at centre, Gauthier, Best, Goodspeed have all struggled mightly. This is Taman's team at the end of the day.

Anonymous said...

If TSN had a comic like Frank Caliendo, can you imagine the material he would have to work with when it comes to the last three weeks. This has gotten beyond embarassing. I'm staying home next Sunday to watch the NFL. At least I will be entertained and the beer won't cost aa much.

Anonymous said...

Great read Mitch!

Keith said...

It has often been said that it takes a few years to develop a CFL game ready QB. It would be a mistake to put Cole Berquist into a game to start as it could well destroy his confidence too early in his development. In 2012, Cole will be ready to move to #2 and the Riders need to find a new young QB to develop at #3. Sadly, Ryan Dinwiddie has been destroyed and may have to move on to coaching at some level. The Riders would be at a point now to bring in a journeyman QB like Joseph or Bishop, but as we know other teams beat us to it.

Anonymous said...

Are there any QB's on the neg list? If DD is done for the season with a broken foot, we need a 3rd guy don't we or will that honor go to DD.

For what its worth, I give Dinwiddie one more start even though he sucked yesterday so that Bergquist can get a week of solid prep in and that I let Bergquist play the last couple of games to see if he will be a CFL calibre quarterback. If he is, keep him. If not, lets find someone. Where is Jared Zabransky anyways?

Anonymous said...

I will support them as I have since I was 5 years old and my Dad took me to my first Rider game.... been hooked ever since then, but I reserve the right to be critical of the Riders as I think all fans should be able to when the team plays like garbage. But really why are people so insitant on runing Darian out of town.... Has he played like a MOP candidate? No, but at the end of the day the kid wins! Has he maybe lost his way a little bit this year? maybe. He and other players should not be challenging fans about if they are true fans for being critical, but if I had to put up with what I am sure these guys put up with I am sure my reactions would be a lot less appropriate and a lot worse. But make no mistake I will be there on Sunday.... I just hope the Riders are too!

Anonymous said...

Those 2-14 teams had no talent, but they could at least score a touchdown. This team has talent and they can't score a touchdown. I'm giving up tickets to the last two games, but I'll be back in 2012.


Barry

Anonymous said...

Hopson created a horrible structure but he can change it if he wants. The fans will not tolerate the partying days with Shivers ever again. He has no choice but to let both Miller and Taman go. Neither deserve to stay on.

Miller spent a lot of money to hire Marshall and then a lot to fire Marshall. That was fans money we gave to the team and Miller squandered it away to protect his ego and defend his "men". After all he was very much responsible for failing to get Marshall the talent which had left here. As Marshall said "this is not the same team that won the GC" He was saying we lack talent overall. Some new players were playing for Marshall while other prima donas including Durant were wanting Miller. Miller is huge distraction and needs to go. No coach worth his salt will ever come here with grandpa looking over his shoulder.

Taman may have had Miller over him but he was still responsible for talent acquisition and trades. In 2 years you can't find 2 D-linemen? In 2 years you can't build a good O-line? You bring washed up 36 yr olds to go along with Makowsky who gets beat like a rented mule? Can't find a kicker till mid-season? Miss out on Arland Bruce? One kicker, one reciever, and one D-end probably keeps Marshall employed and this team in a playoff hunt. FORGET about the players Taman brought in - WHO CARES? He is also credited with Geroy Simon, Fred Ried, and others - WHO CARES? The talent he brought in here is good enough for LAST PLACE!!! Forget that crap. A record of 39-50-1 in Winnipeg is why they ran him out. Why the hell would we want someone like that here? How many Grey Cup Champs have you built Brendan? You either win or you lose..what does our record say?

Anonymous said...

Absolute crap

Anonymous said...

I hear Cleo Lemon is on the market - we got nothing to lose.

Anonymous said...

The decline has been a slow and falling knife for at least 1 year .. To me it looks there is problem in clubhouse.. Can I spell Tracy Printers.. Although admittedly not fan of Duriant . I did feel sorry for him most of the year he has taken a beating to me it seems that guys around him have given up on him.. If management cleans house I think the truth will come out.