Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Random Thoughts

Its late October and while the temperatures are getting colder and the leaves continue to fall, there is no immediate sign of snow and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

What isn't a good thing is that there might not be any meaningful football in Regina to speak of in November. The Riders are three games away from their season ending, the Thunder are done and the Rams might not make the playoffs. YIKES!!!

Ken Miller has seemed a little more agitated this week at practice as he gets questioned on why this is being done and why that is being done. I personally don't understand some of the moves that are being made, but in some cases he can't do what he might like to. With guys like Dan Clark, Nick Hutchins and George Hudson on the 9 game injury list, the team can't do anything there because they have used up their nine game exemption by taking Ernie Wheelwright off. What is disturbing there is that Wheelwright went back on to the 9 game list this week after just one appearance in which he made I think just one catch. That doesn't make a lot of sense unless he was re-injured severely on Sunday. I didn't see it.

If Gene Makowsky wins for the Saskatchewan Party in Regina Dewdney, his football career will be over. If he should lose, I would not be surprised to see #60 back next year. The guy can play. I think he's been the Riders best o-lineman again this year.

What type of coin is it going to take to keep Andy Fantuz in Rider green? Who gets sacrificed for the money that will be thrown Andy's way?

Rod Pedersen thinks Ken Miller will be back as Head Coach in 2012. I agree and disagree with him. I think Miller will be back in 2012 IF he is back in 2013 as well when the team hosts the Grey Cup. If a two  year commitment can not be given, I think he will be bought out.

The only person that has the answers, and I don't know if he has them yet, is Riders President and CEO Jim Hopson. I have confidence that after the year is over, he will sit down with the board and formulate a plan that will get this team back to the upper echelon of the CFL. I have said it once and I have said it before, Jim Hopson is a huge reason why this team is enjoying the success it has been (this year's on-field product excluded) and the Hoppy hate that some have is to me just inexplicable and foolish. Yeah. the Greg Marshall thing didn't work out, but are you going to tell me that every decision you have made has worked perfectly?

You gotta admit that the decision made by John Hufnagel to bench Henry Burris and start Drew Tate when his team is fighting for first takes some cajones. I've got to think that Henry's days are over in Cowtown and that he will be with another team in 2012. He's not going to BC with Travis Lulay there and Ricky Ray appears to have some years left in him in Edmonton. Darian isn't going anywhere here despite what Marty York says. If A-C were to retire, he could end up in Montreal, but his best bet is Toronto or Hamilton. Would Calgary want the #1 pick overall in a deal involving Burris?

Speaking of guys on new teams. Is it safe to assume Luca Congi has kicked his last ball in green. Where does he end up?

The Calgary Flames are one borrrrrrrrrrrrrrring hockey team.

What happened to the kid that used to dress up as Miikka Kiprusoff and imitate him at games? Did he finally grow up and realize how stupid he was?

Are the Leafs actually a good team now?

The love affair between Roberto Luongo and Vancouver Canucks fans continues to crumble. Why do I see Luongo not being in Vancouver at this time next year?

I have met Bret "The Hitman" Hart many, many times, but I have never interviewed him. That changes on "The Sportscage" today at 5 o'clock as he will be in studio with me. I wish I could give him more time cuz I could talk to him all day. I don't know where to start.

"The Hitman" is here to sign autographs before tonight's Pats-Calgary game at the Brandt Centre. Game time is 7. Go out and watch this Pats team that shows no signs of slowing down.

I know a lot of people out there don't like Joe Buck, but I'm a fan

If ESPN can give Dan Lebatard a show, TSN can surely give a show to Rob Vanstone.

Take a good look at the new Sportsnet logo. The swoosh starts just where the "T" ends and continues through the "S" and the "N". In other words, the swoosh highlights "TSN". Apparently Chris Cuthbert also noticed this and tweeted it last week. I tweeted it last night only to be told about Chris' tweet. OOPS!!!



Who are these idiots occupying Victoria Park and why? Two words---water cannons!! I have no time for these people.

I knew who I was voting for before the election was called and there is no reason for me to change my thought process after seeing the first couple of weeks of the campaign.

Have you noticed that no one really cares about the NBA lockout. When the NFL lockout was on, it was getting attention daily high up on places like Sportscentre. Not so this time around. The average NBA player makes 5 million a year and that is higher than baseball and football. A lot of these players are just sitting on the bench earning that coin. No thanks!!

That's all I got. See ya on the Cage at 5 and maybe at the Brandt Centre tonight. Its either that or Game 2 of the World Series or the Oilers-Minnesota game. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mitch,

I'd like Bret's take on Scott Hall.

I know Bret was never a fan of the "cliq" but I'd love to hear what he has to say about this video you posted.

Did you notice the picture of a very young Scott Hall and Owen?

My favourite Bret Hart moment? The "let's give america an enema" speech. "and will start RIGHT HERE IN PITTSBURGH!" Classic television.

Enjoy your interview Mitch.

Thanks for posting that video by the way.


Russ from Saskatoon

Anonymous said...

Luca will be in Edmonton next year. Eric wants all of the ex-Riders.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't be surprised to see Geno back next year if he loses in the elexn. However, as a voter in Regina Dewdney, I am hoping he is the winner since he is backing the party that will win a majority.


AC

Anonymous said...

Miller won't be back. Hopson has seen the damage created.

Anonymous said...

Hopson created this mess by hiring Miller as VP of Football Ops and creating this organizational structure. Then he hires Taman and tells him just before the press conference that he is to report to Ken Miller.
Nice work Jim...the Hoppy HATE is warranted...he's a meddling idiot and is responsible for the Rider slide. Can't believe this guy is making half a million dollars a year to run this team into the pooper.

Anonymous said...

Well, after some thought on your posting and its entire contents I have decided to respond to a few of your thoughts.

Firstly, yes winter will soon be upon us, in fact Dec 21st will kick it off as always.

Secondly, what do you think the odds are of Gene Makowsky caring much about politics or the people he would represent "if elected" as to only to have a voice in cabinet to push for another political dream of a new glorified stadium in Regina that the people simply would never afford?

Last but not least, your comment on Victoria Park. Imagine for a moment the NBA that you spoke of continuing to increase the salaries of the players without regard for us the Fans "as they have for the past many years" and at the same time continuing to push up ticket prices, thus in the future making it affordable for only the very wealthy.
Now imagine the whole time, Governments throwing money at these teams with absolutely no regard whatsoever of the debt burdens they would be placing with us, our children and our future grandchildren as fans that may never afford to see an NBA game.
This they would continue doing, as they are the very ones that have a strong personal profit interest by doing so.
This is what our Governments appear to have been doing with the Wall Streets of the world for a very long time.
These people in Victoria Park (that I myself are not one of), as well as in many other locations around the world, are attempting to put a stop to these actions.

I am a sports fan and believe it fills a very needed spot in many peoples lives, but at the same time I believe it necessary for people to have an understanding of what is truly effecting them and theirs in the big picture and therefore have no qualms with these people what so ever and in fact they may just be doing us all a very big favor.

Anonymous said...

Kent Austin has put to bed any rumours of him returning to Saskatchewan.

Anonymous said...

Mitch
- I know I am in the minority but I will miss the NBA.
- I love Rob's writing but think he is too hard on the eyes for tv (like me - he has a great face for Radio - or something like that!)
- As a Leafs fan I am hopeful but will not hold my breath.

Love the blog
Mick Panko

Anonymous said...

To the person with the long discertation above your response to Jeff, I have some advice for you. Wear a helmet because you have already obviously suffered one brain injury and don't need another. WOWWWW!!

Anonymous said...

Without Jim Hopson this team would not be in the shape that it is. The on-field product was a disaster for the first time since he took over. I have confidence he will repair it. The Hoppy hate is over the top and is quite confusing. I guess its a matter of what have you done for me lately.

Allan

Anonymous said...

Good question on that kid. Perhaps his parents finally had him committed. He was a little on the strange side. I didn't even find it to be cute.


LD

Anonymous said...

Wake up people. Hopscotch is the ringleader of this circus thats called the 2011 Saskatchewan Roughriders.
Austin can't stand stand Hoppy so he definately won't be back.
Hoppy canned Tillman so unfortunately he will never be back.
Hoppy created this team structure mess so he needs to resign asap after the season but that will never happen being paid like a king.

Anonymous said...

Give it a rest Allan...Hopson is to blame for hiring Miller as the VP, creating this bogus structure and went with a convenience hire of Brendan Taman after an "exhaustive search" of two whole weeks...all while sitting back and collecting 500 grand a season.
What's more confusing is that the local media sits back and gives him a free pass and fires all their ammo at Miller.
Hoppy is the architech of this mess.

Anonymous said...

Mitch, you say the Greg Marshall experiment didn't pan out and that is true but neither did the Miller or Taman hires.

Anonymous said...

Without Hopson, this team is still mediocre and the money in the bank isn't even close to what it is now. Some of you people really have to take your head out of your ass. Just ask yourself where this team would be if it wasn't for Jim's acumen.

Anonymous said...

Hey anony I think you need to take your head out of your ass. "Free pass Hopscotch" has nothing at all to do with money being in the bank. Winning games and being one of the top contending teams = money in the bank regardless who is president. Wait til next year when people dont renew and buy tickets like in previous years and we will see how much money keeps pouring into the bank!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the Miller thing Mitch. If he can't commit for two years, he has to go. Buy out the last year if you have to, but either commit for two or head back to Carolina.