Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Thoughts on a Tuesday Morning

A lot of them are rolling through so in no particular order, here we go....

--Yankee fans, how do ya feel knowing your season rests on the arm of A.J Burnett today. Then again, you could be a Red Sox fan or a Cubs fan.

--Optically, it doesn't look right that the Riders don't get back on the practice field until Thursday after Saturday's disaster, but CFLPA rules state three days of practice in between games thus the extended break. One in which I hope several players have taken a good look at themselves. I would hate being labellled with the word "quitter", but that is the label that some have had attached to them whether it be fair or not.

--It is absolutely asinine when I hear that people are going onto Rider twitter accounts and bashing the players for their performance. You have every reason in the world to be upset, but you are taking it just a little too far if you are one of the knuckledraggers doing this.

--Why is it people post negative and mean-spirited things to blogs like Rod's and mine (and many others), yet you don't get those comments on Twitter or Facebook. Oh wait, its because then you would be identified. I get it!!!

--When all is said and done, I think the off-season departures of Jeremy O'Day and Chris Szarka meant way, way more than anyone thought. The performance of the last two weeks would not have happened with those two gentlemen in the room.
--Hockey drafts are all the thing this week with the NHL season beginning Thursday. With Sidney out of the equation, at least for the time being, because of his concussion-related problems, who is the number 1 guy. Is it Ovechkin? Is it a Sedin? Where did Sid go in your draft?

--I mentioned AJ Burnett at the top of this post. He is one of many former Toronto pitchers to be pitching in the playoffs. He joins Roy Halladay, Shaun Marcum, Mark R (I'm not even going to attempt to spell his last name), Cris Carpenter and Octavio Dotel. Am I missing anyone?

--Its not often that you say Winnipeg is the place to be, but it will be this weekend as the Jets come back with their first official home game going against the Habs on Sunday night. That will be something to watch.

--Former John Gormley Live producer Tammy Robert had an interesting tweet this morning. She says an e-mail from NDP leader Dwain Lingenfelter is asking for one million dollar donations to make Saskatchewan a caring province again. Tammy tweets "Since when did we become an uncaring province". Good question!

--Whoever the dirtbag is that assaulted a 3 year old boy in Weyburn should simply have whatever happens to him happen. Yeah, I know that sounds harsh, but what type of individual would do what he is accused of doing? Do we really want or need this person in society?

--Congrats to Doug Johnson and the Nipawin Hawks for their early season success in the SJHL. Doug had a hard year last season, but he had a game plan and that plan is working. The people of Nipawin deserve a winning hockey team and Johnson is giving that to them. Add that to the fact that Doug is a damn good guy as well and well, I hope the good times continue to roll.

--In my one year as communications guy in the SJHL, I had the privilege to work with many fine broadcasters, but none better than North Battleford's Dan O'Connor. Dan got the chance to move up to the WHL as he is now the voice of the Prince George Cougars. I was flattered last night when he phoned to ask if I would do colour for him for the Pats-Cougars game at the Brandt Centre Saturday night. I had intended on going just to see how he was doing, but it was nice of him to say it would be an honour to do a game with yours truly. It will be lots of fun. I'm glad Dan got his shot to move up. I hope the same for Craig Stein in Yorkton as he deserves a shot at Tier 1 as well after toiling behind the microphone in the SJ for a few years.

--The Pats are home to Lethbridge and Prince George this weekend and it would be great to see some nice crowds at the Brandt Centre. I don't think many had this team having four wins in five starts. They looked great in the home opener against Swift Current so if you missed that game, go see one of these two if not both.

--The Pats could have more wins than the Riders by the end of the Thanksgiving weekend. Who would have called that a few months ago? If you are one of them, are you going to tell me that the Detroit Lions would be 4-0 as well?

--Tony Romo showed once again that he is who we thought he was. The Cowboys aren't going anywhere as long as that guy is under center. That choke-job on Sunday was epic and I loved it seeing I have never been a huge Romo fan. If only Kobe Bryant had the amount of screw-ups that he has.

--Why do I love sitting on the couch Sundays and watching the NFL. Its because of the parity. 19 games have been decided by 3 or fewer points this year. How can you not love that?

--I am convinced that summer has changed and is now August-September instead of July-August. This great weather is continuing right into October. I don't know when white stuff will hit the ground, but here's hoping its not until November.

--I killed what may have been the biggest spider I have ever seen last night. It had to be the size of a toonie if not bigger. The spider had been on my 8 year old daughter's back and my wife swooshed it off of her (which is amazing all in itself seeing the wife is scared to death of spiders big or small). When she swooshed it off, she put it right on my daughter's sweater which had been lying on a chair and then brought it inside not knowing he was there. When she yelled for me to come upstairs saying to kill it, I had no idea how big that sucker was. I HATE THOSE THINGS!!!

--Cheryl Ladd is coming back to TV to play the mother of Sarah Walker on "Chuck". I love that show and yes, Yvonne Strahovski is one big reason why. Of course, Cheryl was one of Charlie's Angels. I don't know about you, but after watching this year's version of Charlies Angels on TV, I say that the original ones could kick the ass of the new ones.

--The Rangers have put Sean Avery on waivers. Would you want him on your team?

--The last three Stanley Cup winners started their season in Europe. Does this make you want to put money down on the Kings, Ducks, Sabres or Rangers. Believe it or not, I would as I am taking Buffalo to beat the Kings in the SC Final.

--Have a good one!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been saying that about Szarka and O'Day right from day one. Add Morgan to the list too.



Kyle

Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone would have predicted the Pats having as many wins as the Riders at Thanksgiving. That says a lot about both organizations right now.

Anonymous said...

I agree, the Riders definitely would not have looked like that the last two weeks!


They would have looked even older and slower with Szarka and O'Day in the lineup.

Abe Vigoda

Anonymous said...

Cheryl Ladd still looks great today. She was the best angel. No arguments!

Anonymous said...

Why shouldn't a fan take to a Twitter account or a Facebook account to criticize a Rider? They are just as immune to criticism as anyone else or do their precious little egos not allow that. I don't agree with name-calling, but letting guys like Durant, Clermont, Shologan and whoever to wake the f up is alright in my books.

Anonymous said...

Apparently somebody doesn't know what "immune" means. Big surprise.

Anonymous said...

It is good to see Doug and the Hawks doing well. The only problem now is there is no one out there to publicize this.

Anonymous said...

Spiders just drive me right up the wall. I usually find them in my shower. I would have probably froze had I seen that sucker.