Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Back In The YQR

After a weekend jaunt to Vermillion, Alberta, its back to Casa de Blair and the start of what will hopefully be a good week.

Just a few thoughts and Mitchservations if you will (with apologies to Pedersen and Vanstone)

--Why is gas 1.09 cents a litre in Lloydminster, yet its over 1.20 in Regina. That's just not right

--While my golf game still sucks, I may have (I stress may have) found out what's wrong.

--When driving home and tuning in to a Saskatoon radio station, I laugh when that station tells me that Brett Cecil will face Dan Haren in the series finale when the Jays play the Angels today even though the game has been over for over an hour and that the leader after three rounds of the PGA is Jason Dufner even though the final round is just about over. CMON!!!! Why don't you just give me last Thursday's forecast while you're at it.

--The B.C Lions are still making it possible for the Riders to make the playoffs. Can you imagine the uproar if the Riders got their game going in the 2nd half and finished with 6 or 7 wins and they beat Calgary or Edmonton in the West semi. How about if they got to the Grey Cup with that 6 or 7 win total. We wouldn't cry about it out here, but the CFL would shudder because the Commish knows they could win.

--Would you rather have Hugh Charles or Wes Cates as the Rider running back? Even though he missed a block on the Darian Durant first half fumble and dogged it a little on the Keon Raymond INT return, I'm starting to lean towards the Colorado product because of his speed to the outside.

--Speaking of Charles, it bothered me somewhat Friday that he did his backflip routine not once, not twice. but three times when the Riders were down. Just do what Weston Dressler did later in the game when he scored a TD with the final decision known...he just handed the ball to the referee and continued playing the game. I don't mind the backflip, I actually like it, but not when the team is getting it handed to them.

--After his play Friday night, Efrem Hill may have surpassed Efrem Zimbalist Junior as the most famous Efrem that I'm aware of. They may also be the only people in the world named Efrem.

--Congrats to Saskatchewan athletes coming home with medals from the Western Canada Summer Games in Kamloops. In all, Saskatchewan brought home 43 gold, 32 silver and 32 bronze from the two week event.

--Congrats to Team Saskatchewan for finishing 2nd at the Canada Cup of baseball. The Saskatchewan team beat the two time defending champs from BC in the semi-final before losing 3-2 to Ontario in the final.

--The 2011 Canadian Midget Baseball Championship will be played in Regina starting Thursday with the Regina Mets and Humboldt Dodgers representing Saskatchewan. Go check it out if you can. It should be some great baseball.

--The WWE will be here Friday night and barring a belt switch on RAW, it means Alberto Del Rio will walk into the Brandt Centre as the champ. Alberto Del Rio? Really!!! It will be Del Rio vs John Cena vs CM Punk in a Triple Threat match, but you know Del Rio will walk out of Regina with the strap.

--Did TSN's Jay Onrait actually win the 50/50 at the Jays game Saturday. He tweeted this, but with Onrait you just never know.

--It is great to turn on the NFL Network and see exhibition games.

--Is Sidney Crosby's head any better. If it was, would he be doing those stupid Sportchek commercials?

--I really wish I had seen the final two hours of the PGA on Sunday. It sounds like I missed a classic.

--The voice of the Regina Red Sox Adam Geiger put up a great video of the on-field celebration after the Red Sox beat Okotoks to win the WMBL Championship on Saturday night. He has put it on his Facebook page if you can find it.

--Speaking of videos, the video of the stage collapse at the Indiana State Fair last night is chilling. Why is it all these stage collapses happen when the act that is supposed to be playing isn't on stage. Someday it tragically will. I just hope that day isn't ever in Craven.

--I haven't seen a new Winnipeg Jets jersey at Jersey City or River City Sports. Do they have them or are they flying off the shelves? I have to wonder if they have them because I haven't seen many people in the #YQR wearing Jets stuff.

--If a genie granted me three wishes, my first wish would be that I had ten additional wishes if not more.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Count me as a Wes Cates guy.
I suspect Charles is playing his way off the team. Once Wes is healthy I think Brandon West and Wes will be the tandem. West has that same outside speed Charles does and he's younger. Heck, this is Charles' fourth year here. Yeh, four years using up an import spot and this past winter they told him to learn how to field a punt. How did he get through three years of pro football and Lord knows how many years university and high school without learning how to catch a punt? You don't keep an import running back on the bench for four years if he's any good. Montreal kept Brandon Whitaker around for two years then let Avon Cobourne go.
As for his backflips, I hate them and one day if we're ever ahead when he does it he'll draw a taunting penalty. Act like you've been there before.
Count me as a Wes guy.

Anonymous said...

You get three lashes with a wet noodle for even mentioning Hugh Charles in the same paragraph as #7. Number Seven is a football player with a huge heart. Charles, well he quits on some plays but when a play turns out good for him then it's 'watch me'. "I'm the hero, it's got nothing to do with the guys that blocked for me."

Veeseven

Anonymous said...

I don't believe there are any Jets jerseys yet, I'm not aware that the team released anything other than the logo at this time. I picked up a sweet Jets t shirt in Yorkton last week though.

Finnigan

Anonymous said...

If you're a golf fan, you did miss a classic on Sunday. The final 90 minutes were unbelievable. I thought Bradley was done when he put the ball in the drink on 15.

Anonymous said...

Put me down as a Charles guy. I don't like the backflips when down 17, but he gives an added dimension to the offence. His speed to the outside gets him some yards that Cates couldn't dream of getting. Wes is a plough-horse and Hugh is a thoroughbred.


Rod

Anonymous said...

Why isn't gas the same in every center? That is the real question!

Anonymous said...

I don't think the actual jerseys have been released. If they had been, I'd have one.


Aaron

Anonymous said...

Wes is getting up there, but he still can get the job done.

Anonymous said...

I heard that the Jets organization was waiting until training camp until the jersys are released so they can cash in on the huge demand and keep the "over seas" asian companies from creating and selling them cheaper.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts have changed on Efrem Hill. I thought he was a waste of time when he first came here, but he has proven to perhaps be the number 2 guy ahead of Getzlaf now. Once Koch, Bagg and Andy come back, he will help bring us back to a level of prominence.


Wayne

Anonymous said...

1) One L in Vermilion. They get pissy otherwise.
Miss the cheap gas! Marwayne is usually even cheaper than that.

2) "Random Mitchings". Royalties can be made out to...


Grant