Pages

Friday, August 12, 2011

Random Thoughts

Greetings from Vermillion, Alberta---the home of Olympic medallist Beckie Scott. I am here because of a family reunion on the wife's side. While that is fine, what a terrible weekend to do this when the Riders and the Red Sox are doing their thing at home. Oh well.

Here are some random thoughts

--Phil "The Thrill" Andrews will take my spot on the visiting sidelines tonight for reports during the CKRM broadcast. I can only wish that someone at CKRM has found Phil a gaudy yellow shirt for tonite's assignment.

--This is only the 2nd Riders regular season game I have missed in the last 10 years. The reason both times is family matters on the wife's side. Who ever organizes these events on the wife's side needs to start looking at the Rider schedule and home games.

--I just can't see this Riders football team losing four in a row at home. I just can't. That being said, Calgary seems to be on the top of their game. It will be an interesting nite at Mosaic.

--Why isn't this game being played in Calgary? The Stampeders were just in Regina and now the Riders will have to play twice in Calgary. The CFL's schedule-maker goofed on this one.

--The Eskimos bubble has burst

--Classy, classy move by Marc Trestman to send Rod Pedersen an autographed copy of his book. Trestman is as classy as they come, but the Alouettes still seem to have lost some of their class.

--My golf game sucks in Alberta too.

--Vermillion has a Boston Pizza, but it doesn't have a Walmart or Tim Hortons. Isn't it said that you're not really on the map if you don't have a Walmart or Timmies in your town. It also begs the question as to how the people of Vermillion can function on a daily basis if they don't have their daily diet of Tims. Do they go to Lloydminster?

--I hope I have seen my last Regina Red Sox game of the year. It killed me not to be at the ballpark the last two nights to watch the WMBL final and thanks to many good people and Twitter, I was able to keep up with what was happening. The 5th and deciding game is slated to go Sunday night at Currie Field at 705. If it goes 5, I will be there if all goes well. I hope it doesn't go 5. Gary Brotzel, Bernie Eiswirth and Rob Cherepuschak along with the players deserve every compliment thrown their way for what they have done with this team over the past few years.

--Congrats to Global's Heather Anderson and to the entire Global Regina news crew. Heather was named as the host of what will be Saskatchewan's first morning news show later this year. I couldn't think of a better choice. There's a lot of talent at Global right now and it shows. Global Regina also announced its signal is now in HD. I have been away so I don't know, but when I go home and turn it onto Channel 5 (Access) will it be in HD or is it in the 500's like all the other HD's. I guess I'll find out when I get back to the YQR.


-- I think we have seen the last of the great Tiger Woods. I just don't think he will ever be the dominant player that he used to be. There's no sign that he can do what he did on a week-to-week basis anymore--at least not right now.

--Break up the Seahawks. They won their exhibition opener against San Diego. I sadly believe Seahawks wins will be few and far between this year.

--I think Rider fans should move on when it comes to Henry Burris, but many of you seemingly feel otherwise. Hey, I understand that, but if you going to throw your wrath at Burris on game-day, then its only right that you throw it at Ricky Ray, Travis Lulay, Kevin Glenn, Anthony Calvillo, Buck Pierce and Cleo Lemon with the same ferocity.

--This whole Blue Jays-stealing signs story is simply ridiculous. How does one explain the fact that Toronto has one of the worst home records in the majors. The man in the white shirt is becoming like the shooter on the grassy knoll. I love the comment from JP Arencibia when asked about this controversy and  he said the guy is now one of those doing the walk from the CN Tower. The Blue Jays marketing group should really get on this.

--Mosaic has jumped on and given a corporate name to the MJ Multiplex. I guess the "Temple of Remple" will have to wait for something else. The new home of the Warriors will be called "Mosaic Place". Does this mean the Multiplex can be referred to as "The Mine"?

--That's all I got. GO RIDERS!!!  Hey Phil, I'll be looking for you on the sidelines tonight. I would suggest sending other CKRM newsie Kali Bourhis over to do your work and then have a chat with the Calgary quarterback after. It would be Bourhis with Burris. Yeah, that was weak---so its time to go. Have a good Friday and hopefully the Riders send you into having a good weekend.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ricky Ray, Travis Lulay etc. didn't say they'd deliver a Grey Cup to the Rider Nation then leave a few months later.

Anonymous said...

Are we still the best team on paper Mitch??? mwhahahahahahaha