Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Who? Why? ARRGHHHH!!!!

The NFL draft always piques my interest. I want to see where the big names end up, who makes the big trade, who slides and more importantly, who are the Seahawks going to take.
There is no doubt in my mind that this team needs a quarterback for the future. Matt Hasselbeck is getting up there in age and while his playoff performance last year was excellent, he can't do that for 16 games. Charlie Whitehurst has shown his signing could and may have been a disaster. There are many good QB's out there and when it came to Seattle's time at 25, there were some good ones left. With me anticipating a pick of a new quarterback, the team goes out and takes Alabama offensive lineman James Carpenter. I screamed "Who"????? at the TV. Not one mock draft that I saw had this guy going in the first round. ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Junior said the pick was a reach and the NFL network's Mike Mayock was shuffling through notes trying to find positives. ARRGGHHHHHHH!!!!! Its my only hope now that the Seahawks take a chance on a mid-level quarterback today or tomorrow. I'm hearing rumblings of Alabama's Greg McIlroy, but now who knows.
-----
The NFL screwed it up by having the draft go three days. Draft parties that were held in the various NFL cities on Saturdays are no more and stretching it over three days is a little tedious. Have the first three rounds on Saturday and finish it up Sunday.
-----
It was also a little boring to watch the draft proceedings knowing no players could be traded because of the labour situation. That apparently will start happening this weekend as will free agency, but its a little too late.
-----
I was switching between the draft and the Nashville-Vancouver game. Did those two teams know they were playing last night? There was no intensity in that game whatsoever. Nashville looked horrible yet they were only a shot away from tying the hockey game. I'm sure it will pick up.
----
I didn't know until reading Rod's blog this morning that Kings coach Terry Murray didn't shake hands with San Jose's Todd McLellan after their first round series wrapped up. The debate about the series ending handshake is a good one. Some feel its stupid, others feel its part of what makes hockey special because you don't see it in the NBA, NFL, CFL or MLB. Yeah, football players run around and see this guy or see that guy and the coaches shake hands, but is it that sincere. How does anyone know that Murray didn't go have a chat and perhaps a lengthy one with McLellan under the stands. That doesn't bother me one bit.
-----
High Impact Wrestling is tonight. Alas, I won't be there. I'm sure it will be as rowdy as ever. Speaking of wrestling, I have been informed by John Cozman (Principal Richard Pound) that Stampede Wrestling is coming to the Queen City Ex for five days this summer. That's outstanding!!!! Will it be located in the Auditorium????
-----
Did anyone see the Jays game yesterday? What exactly was Jose Bautista thinking in the 9th and what were the Texas Rangers doing with the baseball. Watching the Rangers throw the ball around was like watching my oldest daughters fastball team with the same results. WOW!!!!
-----
I think the CFL is making a mistake by not wanting to get in the same boat as UFC. The National Post's Mark Masters has that story right here. Are the two groups not chasing the same demographic. With the UFC"s popularity, I would think this would be a great opportunity for the CFL--especially when former commissioner Tom Wright is involved with UFC. I guess they have their reasons though.
Regina radio will never be the same. Willy Cole signed off for the last time this morning at CKRM. Willy's been entertaining people across this fine province of ours for 33 years and he is a legend. I can't think of a time when I haven't listened to CKRM and not heard Willy in some fashion. When I finally met the man years ago, it was an honour and I always liked rubbing elbows with him at various functions or Rider games. I had always wished I had the opportunity to have worked with Willy which I got the chance to do at the very end. As I have said before, when I did my first Riders broadcast this year, it was a highlight of my broadcasting career and when Willy threw it to me it was surreal. He is a class act and like I said, Regina radio will never ever be the same. I sent Willy an e-mail yesterday telling him I hope he never, ever has to wake up at 330 in the morning again.
----
Henry Burris just wants to keep those fires burning with Rider fans. This is what he had to say about Touchdown Atlantic this week and playing in Moncton." It gives you that feeling of playing in Regina — but a level up above Regina because people are more classy.” Yeah. that won't be met with any backlash.
----
Did you watch the Royal Wedding? Yeah, me neither.
---
My vote for the NHL MVP would be Corey Perry.
---
As you get older, three things happen. 1) You forget 2)ummmmmm---I can't remember!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's completely bush league of Murray to not shake hands.
It only happens in the NHL after a playoff series is over during playoffs. It never happens during the regular season.

In football games playoffs and regular season, coaches shake after each game. All levels, CFL, CIS PFC. Not sure about NFL.

You're right. Maybe they talked after away from the cameras. But IMO it sends the wrong message about sportsmanship. If Murray had a problem with the other coach, fair enough.


Russ from Saskatoon

Anonymous said...

Willy is a first ballot hall of famer. You are right, Regina radio won't be the same without him waking me up like he has for the past 30 years.


Alan

Anonymous said...

You must really hate the fact the Canucks beat the Oilers all the time. You wanted Chicago to beat them, you hate Luongo and now you take Perry ahead of Sedin for MVP. CMON!!!!

Anonymous said...

STAMPEDE WRESTLING IS STILL KICKIN". SWEEEET!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Russ, Alan and Terry


Keith

Anonymous said...

Whenever I look in the dictionary, I see Henry's picture besides the word class. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Mike from Vita, MB said...

The Riders will NOT play a game in Atlantic Canada UNTIL there is a team full time. No team in their right mind would give up a Rider game..they are the first or second best draw in EVERY CFL city.

Lumpy said...

Stick to the Riders. If you had any clue about the Hawks you would realize he fits exactly what Cable wants and what we need. To bookends on a line that will now be able to run the ball. With Unger coming back, Mike Gibson at Right Guard (Nasty SOB) and the potential to add Robert Gallery in FA, this line is starting to become something that will allow the Hawks to not only run the ball but also keep up whoever ends up QBing the team upright

Anonymous said...

-Mitch, you just can't give the Canucks any credit can you?


-You are, however, right about the CFL/UFC thing. It's the same demographic, and UFC is the fighting sport of the future while being red-hot now. A chance for the CFL to be ahead of the curve for once, but they may be overly influenced by the dinosaurs in the Toronto media who don't have a clue about the UFC.

Anonymous said...

Mitch, Stampede Wrestling will be at the Queen City Ex in the Brandt Centre each evening at 7:00pm from August 3-7.