Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Winter That Won't Leave

The end of April is upon us, but the winter of 11 won't leave. It's damn chilly in the YQR this morning and methinks all things outdoors won't be happening. In fact, to the east of us you would think its the middle of January as about 10-20 centimetres of snow are expected to fall and a blizzard warning is out. Word is the number one highway just the other side of Indian Head has been closed. I truly can't think of a winter that has been worse than what we have experienced, but I'm sure there has been,
----
I'm guessing that if I had any communication with CJME sports show co-host Drew Remenda that he might not even know who Ben Ferreiro is. Did you know who he was until last night? I'm guessing no one had him in the pool as he scored in overtime to give San Jose a 2-1 win over Detroit in Game 1 of their series. I didn't see all of the game, but it looked like the Sharks were all over the Wings for the last period and a bit. I joked on Twitter saying is Ferreiro Ray's son, is it a new pasta dish at Boston Pizza as to which Craig Stein at GX94 in Yorkton (voice of the Millionaires and Terriers) responded its a chocolate that is popular at Christmas. I didn't see any of the other game between the Lightning and Capitals, but the score didn't surprise me. I knew when Steve Yzerman took over Tampa that they would be very good---I didn't think it would be this soon though. Speaking of which, what do you think the story line will be if the Stanley Cup final is Tampa vs Detroit. I would imagine that even Stevie Y would be somewhat conflicted.
-----
I had no interest in the Royal Wedding---none whatsoever. Mrs. Scruffy did not feel the same way as me. She taped the damn thing and watched it when she got home from work. While wandering upstairs from time to time, I could only look at the TV and ask "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WOMEN WEARING ON YOUR HEADS!!!". Did you see some of the monstrosities that were worn yesterday. Good god!  Then I'm hearing whoever on CTV talking about how regal so and so looks and how lovely so and so looks. Lets be honest here, they look STUPID with those hats on. If Mrs. Scruffy came down the hallway wearing something like that (thankfully she wouldn't), I would start laughing uncontrollably. No one had the guts to say the headwear looked dumb.
Then, I see Global's late night news and Amanda Ferguson does a story from the Hotel Sask about people that went and viewed the wedding and they were all gussied up, wearing ugly hats and enjoying themselves. A) Great for the Hotel Sask to open their doors for people to come watch the wedding, but the wedding is on TV, there was no need to get dressed up!!!! B) These people had gaudy hats too. CMON!!! I guess as a man I just don't understand. I don't want to. Thank god Don Cherry has no desire to wear one of these hats with his sportjackets when doing Coach's Corner. I'm guessing my favourite redhead Sarah Mills stayed up all night to watch the wedding, but I'm guessing she wasn't wearing a stupid hat and that she wasn't all dressed up.
------
Consider this NBA fans. the Memphis Grizzlies upset the San Antonio Spurs in the first round of the playoffs as an 8 seed beat a 1 seed. It means Memphis will now go on to play Oklahoma City. This could have been the Vancouver Grizzlies against the Seattle Supersonics. That would have been huge for basketball in Canada.
------
Tonight is a night that the UFC has been looking forward to for some time. UFC 129 goes at Rogers Centre where 55-thousand fans will come in to watch the event and hopefully see Canadian Georges St. Pierre clobber up and comer Jake Shields to retain his belt. The sports networks have been all over this for the last few days---although I wonder if they would if the Leafs or Raptors were in the playoffs. It will be a great night in Toronto and yes, I will gather with all of my neanderthal friends to watch it in the basement of Saskatchewan's so-called sexiest blogger who may get the word "whiniest" as well if he continues on his anti-Denny's crusade. In something that I think was ripped right out of a Seinfeld script, SSB and an entourage went to Denny's to get their "Maple Bacon Sundae" (he may be sexy, but he has no taste and no respect for his gastric organs) only to get there and hear from the waitress they were out of ice cream. He offered to go across the highway to Safeway's to purchase some only to be told thanks, but no thanks. His equilibrium has been off ever since. I have said if someone wants to bring the bacon, I will bring the ice cream tonight and he can make one at home. None of the other neanderthals have taken me up on the offer. You can read all about his debacle at Tyler has nothing to say which is linked to this fine blog.
------
After the first two days of the NFL draft, my kitchen window has given me a better draft than that of the Seattle Seahawks. I'm not impressed and either are many others who root for this team as they have been given a C-minus by Seahawks fans on NFL.com. SIGHHHHHH!!!!
------
That is all. Have a good weekend!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool weekend means no yardwork which means afternoon hockey, basketball and NFL draft. I'm OK with that. Wife went to Costco to get plants for the summer. Have fun with that!

Bruce

Anonymous said...

Nice weekend for the Fantuz football camp. Andy just can't buy a break these days.

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA. I said the same thing about the hats. Fashion disasters! I would laugh my wife out of the house if she ever wore one of those and she knows it.

JC

Anonymous said...

I'm in Estevan and its pure whiteout here. I'd say at least two inches have fallen so far.

Anonymous said...

What is it with the British and hats? I don't understand either.



CP

Tyler said...

You call it "whiny."

I call it "standing up for what's fair and just."

Plus, Denny's sucks.