Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Another Week Begins

In one weeks time, we will be enjoying a holiday Monday and in two weeks, Rider training camp will be just a couple of days from starting up. I think we made it.

It was 20 degrees outside yesterday, but it was one of those days when I looked at the viewing schedule and said I need to sit on the couch and watch me some sports. The Jays, the Cubs (game rained out), two NBA games, the Canucks-Sharks and the Players Championship. The mayor gave me some grief about it on Twitter, but hey I can take a jab or two from Pat....at least a verbal jab.

Where to begin....

I'm still in shock over Friday's death of Derek Boogaard. I only spoke to him a couple of times and I remember one time he gave me a headlock at the Sobeys in south end Regina just after I had finished speaking with him at his fight camp. I'm sure Mrs. Scruffy thought it was time for a new husband as this 6 foot 10 hulk was out of nowhere wrapping one of his massive arms around my neck. When I spoke to him, I felt as if he was a guy who didn't want the reputation he had and wanted to make a name for himself in other areas. He certainly did that and didn't have the reputation of a "goon"--at least not amongst his peers. I don't know what caused this 28 year old man to die alone in his apartment and I don't want to speculate. All I know is Boogaard was a good man and someone who deserved better.

Perhaps its because I'm not a fan of either team, but I had very little interest in the Canucks-Sharks game. I kept flipping back between it and the Bulls-Heat encounter. I did shake my head on San Jose's first goal though. Will someone ever tell Roberto Luongo that his job is to stop the puck and not play it? He can't catch the puck very well and he can't stickhandle it either. If he could do those two things, he might be in Brodeur territory.

In watching the Bulls-Heat game, I saw Chris Bosh pour in 30 for the Heat in a losing cause. Chris Bosh with 30? Has the basketball world now seen what this guy truly is now that he is with Miami and not Toronto? Could we call Bosh, Vince Carter 2.0. Is Vince still in the NBA? Who does he play for?

With all apologies to Giants reliever Brian Wilson, the best beard in sports today might belong to Oklahoma City's James Harden.

Is it just me or is the hockey beard tradition becoming a little lame. Its time to freshen it up somewhat and think of something new. No, I have no idea what to do, but the beard is getting tiresome. \

If you are a golfer and you saw the end of the Players Championship, you had to feel for David Toms. We miss those five footers all the time---however our misses aren't worth thousands of dollars.

How much would you love to get a crack at 17 at Sawgrass. How many balls would it take for you to stick one on the green with the flag in the easiest possible position. I'm not one for water so I'm thinking I could be there for a while. I can't imagine what it would be like to walk off 16 and walk that 100 paces or so to the 17th tee box and see that staring at you.

Its my own damn fault, but I hate it when the barbecue runs out of propane halfway through the cooking process. We changed the tank late last year and had no clue how much was in it this year. I kept thinking we should go get it filled, but delayed and delayed and delayed until yesterday when we had just thrown some pork tenderloin on only to hear those words "Honey, we're out of propane echo from the backyard." DAMN!!

Is there any words that haven't been used to describe Jose Bautista. The man is money! Why Torontonians don't flock to the Rogers Centre to see this guy play is beyond me. I didn't think he would come close to 50 homers this year and he is already 16 in mid-May and once again leading the majors.

If baseball does expand its playoff system, I will say that the Jays will be a playoff team in 2012.

CMT ran a show this weekend with the 20 sexiest women in country music today. Names that you would expect were on there including Taylor Swift, Jennifer Nettles, Martina McBride, Tara Oram and Beverley Mahood. The number one honor went to Carrie Underwood which is fine, but I would take Faith Hill over Carrie Underwood any day of the week from looks to singing to fashion to everything.

The CCM ads with Alex Ovechkin's head are just creepy!

I've got a busy Sportscage lined up for this Monday. I'm just putting the finishing touches on it. I'll update you later this afternoon when everything is finalized.

Have a good Monday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's why I have two propane tanks. Just make sure that backup is full!

Little Johnny

Anonymous said...

Faith and Miranda Lambert over Carrie any day of the week!!!!