Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

CFL POTW/This And That

Who was impressive enough to warrant consideration for CFL players of the week in Week 3. I don't go Canadian or special teams, but here are my top 3 players on both sides of the ball

OFFENCE
1)Jarious Jackson-BC. Comes off the bench and throws for 362 yards and 4 touchdowns in the Lions dissection of the Eskimos.
2)Anthony Calvillo-Montreal. You saw what he did on the Mosaic turf Saturday.
3)Kevin Glenn-Hamilton. Takes his new team to a win over his old team and looked good in doing so.

DEFENCE
1)Justin Hickman-Hamilton. Was a force for the Ti-Cats on the d-line against the Bombers registering seven tackles and pressuring QB's Stefan Lefors and Bryan Randall all night
2)Barron Miles-BC. Like Eddie Davis, the calendar says he's getting older, but he's getting better as well. Made one big pick against the Eskimos and had a couple of other big plays against the Edmonton receivers
3)Dwaine Carpenter-Calgary. The entire Stamps defence had a great game, but this guy stood out above the rest. (Probably because he had a TD)
----
I won't be at Rider practice today, but I'm sure many will be there checking out Graham Harrell. The highly touted NC double A grad will be wearing #16...he bought it from Adam Nicolson who is now #87. I wonder if he asked Rob Bagg for #6 seeing that is what he wore at Texas Tech. I can't think of a 5th string quarterback who will be under the microscope more than what Harrell will be. Darian Durant is still the number one guy and Steven Jyles is still the number two guy. Harrell should not and I'm guessing will not be elevated into a position where he could play in 2009, but after that its anyones guess. Durant can certainly send a message of his own as to who the starter is by performing well over the next few games. I have no rhyme or reason when I make this statement, but I think if one of the QB's in town is going to go its Dalton Bell. Again, I have no rhyme or reason for making that statement. Its just what my spidey senses are telling me.
---
I think its safe to say that three of the four games this weekend were blowouts with Montreal, BC and Calgary all posting one-sided wins. In those games, Anthony Calvillo and Henry Burris played the entire game while Kerry Joseph played the entire game in a losing effort for the Argos. Why wouldn't Marc Trestman, John Hufnagel or Bart Andrus insert the backup for some reps when the end result is academic. Yes, Hufnagel pulled Burris in Winnipeg and inserted Barrick Nealy for some much needed game experience in Week 2, but why not repeat it in Week 3 and why wouldn't Trestman or Andrus pull his guy in place of the backup. What happens if the number one guy should get hurt????
---
A downtown dome?? I say the sooner the better. I still wish it was where the old Superstore was, but if its on the other side, I'm OK with it. I wonder what happens to that building--Dream Carpets isn't it--if the ground is ever broken there. There's a long ways to go before that new facility becomes reality, but we appear to be one step closer today than what we were yesterday at this time. I did hear someone say if a new multi-purpose facility comes in, what would it mean for Evraz Place. I don't think you need to worry about what those people are doing. They seem to have their act together over there with harmony now seemingly the case between the Parkers and Evraz Place brass over what is happening or what wasn't happening at the Brandt Centre. The Co-Operators Centre will be a top-notch facility--and why wouldn't it be when Trent Fraser has his hands on that and the Eventplex isn't suffering. If all of this comes to fruition, Regina might be the envy of many Canadian cities. It will just be another reason as to why this city is great. Maybe the idiots at MacLeans magazine can come here and do a positive story then. Of course, it will be years too late but what the heck. Question---does anyone in this city have a subscription to that rag and if so why??? I'd really like to know what that magazine has against the Queen City??.
-----
Rod Pedersen noted on his blog some of the things Taylor Swift did while at the Craven jamboree earlier this month. He noted she went to the Starbucks at the Northgate Safeway and spent a lot of money at an antique store. I have also heard she dropped a lot of money at a couple of stores in the Northgate for her and her entourage. Is it true that she spent $1500 alone at Bootlegger???? That's what I've heard. If she was in the Northgate, did she head over to the Rider store and get something with the /=S=/ on it. Hope so!!
-----
Jennifer Hedger and Darren Dutchyshen are coming to Watrous. They beat Wynyard in the final Saskatchewan vote for the Kraft Celebration Tour. It means Sportscentre will come live from Watrous one night this summer---August 26 I think. The town also gets 25-thousand dollars to improve their arena. Congrats to Watrous!!
-----
Many UFC fans are still talking about Dan Henderson's knockout blows to Michael Bisping at UFC 100. They will see Henderson again at UFC 103. He will step into the octagon against Rich Franklin on September 19 in Dallas.
----
ZZ Top hosting RAW. Love it!! Next week, its Shaq!!!
---
Don't the Cubs have a package to give Toronto for Roy Halladay??? I can think of some guys they could send to Toronto. Oh wait, they signed BJ Ryan to a minor league contract meaning he is likely to be wearing a Cubs uniform very soon meaning there will be no playoffs this year after he blows a few down the stretch.
-----
When should I start preparing for my NFL fantasy drafts??? Perhaps the bigger question is how many am I going to get in this year???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good point on the backup QB's. I've never understood why Mtl doesn't take Calvillo out when they are up big. Then again, he never got touched here on Saturday. If he gets hurt, Mtl is screwed bigtime as would a couple of other teams.

Anonymous said...

Taylor Swift was at Antique Mall on Rose St. Spent 2 hours there with her Mom, Dad and back up singers. Great girl! She spent $1800. I know cause I work there.

Gene A-Z

Ryan said...

I really see berquist and Jyles being the odd men out here. Simply because Jyles hasnt done anything here yet and Berquist hasnt impressed anyone. I also know that Bell is a project who has connections with some receivers here. Plus Mike Kelly really likes Jyles from their days in Edmonton!