Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2009

UFC 100


I remember it well. February 2, 2008. A cold, cold night in Regina as I wandered to the home of fellow co-worker Cory Kolt. Cory had been telling me I have to start watching UFC because it is huge. I wasn't sure about it, but with the constant nagging from Cory and "Saskatchewan's self-proclaimed sexiest blogger" Tyler, I checked out UFC to watch former WWE champ Brock Lesnar fight Frank Mir.
It ended quickly and frankly I was left disappointed. I've been watching UFC since though and tonite its a landmark as UFC 100 hits with a mammoth card including Lesnar-Mir 2. This is a milestone event for Dana White and company. As I have said before, like it or not, ultimate fighting has become mainstream much like professional wrestling did in the 80's-especially after Wrestlemania.

I don't possess to have the knowledge for UFC that I have for other sports, but I have seen enough and read enough to offer some predictions so here goes.

Lesnar vs Mir

Frank Mir may have gotten the best of Brock the first time around, but Brock will not let it happen again. Mir may have more skill, but Lesnar has the power. Once he knocks Mir down, its over. Lesnar will win this with a 2nd round KO.

GSP vs Alves

Georges St. Pierre is in my mind the best all around fighter. The Canadian is someone whose star is just starting to shine. Alves has to stay on his feet if he is to have any success. Once St. Pierre gets him down on the mat, the match is his. It may take GSP some time to do that, but I will say he wins this in the 4th round.

Bisping vs Henderson

Bisping is a loudmouth and Henderson would love nothing more than to shut him up. I don't see that happening. I say Bisping wins this one thanks to the judges who give him the split decision.


Those are the three main matches. One match I hope gets on tonight is the one involving Jon Jones. This guy has a definite future in front of him.

If you are watching it, enjoy it.

No comments: