Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Nedo-WIN!!!

When Michelle Englot and Amber Holland reflect back on the 2012 Scotties Tournament of Hearts, they can at least say that like the championship rink from Alberta, they too lost to the Territories. The host rink won it all in a less than dramatic final as Heather Nedohin and her Edmonton rink defeated Kelly Scott 7-6. This game was nothing compared to the thriller Saturday night when Nedohin eliminated Jennifer Jones in an extra end and by a measurement---a measurement that seemingly no one thought she was going to win and a measurement that Manitoba 3rd Kaitlyn Lawes made officials do twice. Mens or womens, it was one of the more entertaining curling matchups I have seen in a while.


-----


Am I the only one to find the voice of Kelly Scott to be particularly grating. I can't imagine being her husband and being nagged at with that voice. YEESH!


-----


Now that Jennifer Jones did not win the Scotties, can the fine people at Kruger Paper give us a new ad next year. I will see it for a few weeks yet, but I am tired of the ad where Jones forgets to get a box of Scotties Tissue.


-----


Its nice to see that when the snow falls in Regina that people ignore it and continue to drive like idiots. It was also nice to drive down a residential street on Sunday afternoon and see one gentlemen shoving his snow from his driveway onto the middle of his street while another at the end of the street using his snowblower to deposit the white stuff into the middle of the road. Is this legal? Do neighbours not say anything? One of my neighbours took his snowblower and cleared the street blowing the snow into the various yards. That's the way it should be done.


------


The NHL trade deadline is Monday. Is Rick Nash going somewhere? Is Steve Ott going somewhere? Is Luke Schenn going somewhere? How bad will the TV be on both Sportsnet and TSN be until some moves of quality are made. Like free agent day in the NHL, the panels on both networks have to do some fancy tap-dancing until something gets done. The battle to be the best is obviously there, but both shouldn't start up until at least noon when by then hopefully some activity is done. Speaking of activity, I don't know how active my Oilers will be on Monday, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings any if Nikolai Khabibulin, Ryan Jones, Shawn Horcoff, Cam Barker, Magnus Paajarvi or Linus Omark were dealt. I wouldn't like to see Sam Gagner get traded, but he might. I just want some solid defencemen or some draft picks in return. I don't think Nash gets dealt--especially if he played in Pittsburgh on Sunday thus risking his health. Would Buffalo pull the trigger on a Ryan Miller trade? Chicago could use a goalie and Miller might be a good option, but I'm guessing it would cost the Hawks a Patrick Sharp or Patrick Kane.


-----


As bad as the NHL trade deadline is, at least it won't give me a reason to watch the Daytona 500. I have many friends who are huge NASCAR fans and that's fine, but I just can't get into it. Turn right once in a while. As some will say about the NBA, tell me when there's 5 minutes left and they will start to watch. I say tell me when there is 10 laps left and I will watch. I will see the big crash(es) on the highlights.


------


I couldn't have cared less about the Oscars either. Until the academy recognizes outstanding cinema classics like Dodgeball and Old School, why bother.

------

One of the best promotions the Regina Pats have been involved in since the Parker family took over the team goes Monday night. The Western Pizza "Have A Heart Night" is tonight. Members of the Pats will be dispatched to the various Western Pizzas through the city and will serve as delivery boys from 6-8. All delivery charges and tips received will go to the "Heart and Stroke Foundation". Over 40-grand has been raised through this promotion over the past number of years. Get yourself a Western Pizza tonight.

------

When I watch the Winnipeg Jets play on home ice, I do wonder if the rabid Winnipeg hockey fans outdoes the rabid Saskatchewan football fan when it comes to showing off the logo and wearing the colours. It seems like everyone in Winnipeg is wearing something with the Jets logo on it. I don't see that with every fan that walks into Mosaic. Yes, 30-grand go to Mosaic while only 16 or 17-thousand go to the MTS Centre, but they do rival if not surpass the loyalty shown here by the Rider Nation.

------

If you are still waiting for the right person in your life to come along, don't be afraid to have fun with the wrong one.

------
Have a good Monday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so with you on that Scotties ad with Jones.

A Winnipeg reporter rips into those who don't like Jones in today's Free Press.

Good point on the Jets fans.

Is Peterson back or are you back in the Cage today?

Keith said...

A film of note that won an Oscar last night was The Undefeated for best documentary. It is a very powerful film about those on a high school football team in Memphis. A must see.

Anonymous said...

The Western Pizza promotion is a great one and one in which Brent Parker should be saluted. I believe it was his idea.

Anonymous said...

Oilers got Nick Schultz Scruffy!