Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

So Much For That

My interest in the Scotties Tournament of Hearts waned a whole lot last nite around 11 o'clock as Amber Holland sat in the hack facing a whole bunch of enemy counters with really no hope. The wheels fell off the defending champs as she bowed out of the event losing 11-5 to Michelle Englot to knock her out. Englot had been removed from playoff contention earlier in the day.

It means that after a competitive week, the playoffs are now set and there are no tiebreakers. Manitoba's Jennifer Jones will take on BC's Kelly Scott in the 1-2 game while Heather Nedohin of Alberta meets Marie France Larouche's Quebec side in the 3-4 game. The winner of the Jones-Scott game goes through to Sunday's final. The loser plays the winner of the 3-4 game.
-----
Heat in the Cage yesterday. Did you hear Kelly Remple and Lingerie Football League president Mitchell Mortaza going at one another? Mortaza didn't like Kelly's thought process about how the league markets itself and he let Kelly know that. Kelly didn't back down and went right back at him. If Mortaza had been in studio, the mitts may have been dropped. Talk of this team coming to Regina is generating a lot of debate. The bottom line is some people could care less about it and won't be interested. Others that are interested will go and if they like it, they will come back. If they don't, they won't. Its just like anything else. You decide how you are going to spend your dollars, however I will admit $50 a pop for this might be a little expensive. We'll see. By the way, you can hear the exchange between Mortaza and "The Silver Fox" on the CKRM website (620ckrm.com) and then click on the Cage logo.
------
The Brandt Centre should be jumpin tonight. The Pats and Warriors meet in what I think will be a ring a ding dong dandy. This should have a playoff feel to it. Can't wait.
-----
The Cougar womens basketball team plays Winnipeg tonight in a Canada West quarter-final matchup. A win this weekend by the ladies and they will host the CanWest final four next weekend. That will be some good basketball. I can't see the Cougars losing this weekend after having a perfect regular season so mark your calendar down for next weekend and go out to the University to watch a team that I think really no one still knows about for some reason.
-----
The guys at TSN and Sportsnet had to cringe just a little last nite when word of the Jeff Carter trade came down. I think both networks go a little overboard with trade coverage because they tap-dance for a while until something happens and then they over-analyze a trade that involves some 3rd liner. Once the ball gets rolling, they do an excellent job, its just when does the ball start rolling.
-----
Its supposed to get cold this weekend and I snapped the zipper on my parka yesterday. Great!!!
------

12 comments:

Keith said...

Re: the LFL - When I was a youngun there was just women mud wrestling, roller derby, and the Eaton's catalog for us teenage boys. Today's yute don't know how good they got it

Anonymous said...

The Holland rink really disappointed with me their play in the latter half of the week. I don't know what happened, but it just seemed as if things snowballed on them.

As for the LFL, I heard the argument between Kelly and their president. I thought the prez was way off base, but I thought Kelly was too. Both of them had a chance to have a civil discussion and they took it one or two levels below that. Do I think lingerie football will go over in Regina? No, but I may go check it out as a red-blooded male. Like you said, if I don't like it, I won't be back and I'll tell people that. If I do like it, I will tell people and let them decide if they want to go.

That's my 2 cents on the matter.


Rob

Anonymous said...

U aren't kidding when you say that Remple and the LFL guy would have dropped the mitts if he were in studio. I LOVED it!!!


Al

Anonymous said...

I agree with Rob that both the LFL President and Kelly were to blame for yesterday's exchange. But, it made great Sportscage radio listening though. So I guess I can't really knock the two for sharing their opinion.

Just wondering how many guys watch the Scott Tournament of Hearts based on the lady appeal?

Matthew

Anonymous said...

Pats-Warriors is a must see tonight. The rivalry is starting to come back and I can't wait for a possible playoff series between these two whether it be first or second round.

That bit between Kelly and the LFL prez may have been the best exchange I have heard on Sportscage ever. It was heated! I think the guy came in wanting some heat to get created and he got his wish.

Anonymous said...

I know the women in Regina are questionable at best, but you have to watch the Scotties for the lady appeal???

Anonymous said...

Kelly went a little overboard yesterday. The guy came on to promote his product and Kelly did nothing but denigrate it. I would have probably reacted in the same way. It made for great radio though.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you even had the audacity to bring this guy on yesterday. Many people are against this and you seem to be embracing it by bringing him on. What possible reason could you have for allowing this idiot to invade our airwaves?

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA Keith. So true. A highlight of the year was when the Wish Book showed up.



Terry C

Anonymous said...

Audacity? "Our" airwaves? Please, grandma, provide a list of topics you approve of, so Mitch et al won't make the tragic mistake of offending your tender sensibilities again.

Sheesh.

Anonymous said...

Would not a bigger money maker in Sask, drawing in the rural folks,be lingerie curling? It could grow in to an international affair with the Swedish team pulling in huge crowds.

Mike from Vita, MB said...

losing to Y/NWT is unheard of in Saskatchewan curling, even more than losing to Manitoba. Double ouch!! Better luck next year female Saskatchewan curlers