Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Something To "Mitch" About

I will never understand the allure of NASCAR racing. It doesn’t have the drama or excitement of Indy Car racing or F1 as far as I’m concerned. I can at least watch Indy and F1, but I just can’t watch “the good ole boys” doing their thing because it bores the living hell out of me. I tried from time to time to watch Daytona yesterday including the last few laps. The best thing about Jimmie Johnson getting the checkered flag was it was the end. No one made a bid for the lead in the last few laps. No one challenged Johnson. It was just turn after turn after turn after ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! In fact, the last two ends of the Scotties 3rd place game between Kelly Scott and Heather Nedohin was more interesting because there was some strategy involved and there was something being done instead of going around in circles. I know those that love NASCAR don’t like hearing that and I am sorry, but I just can’t get into the sport and I don’t know why there is such excitement for it. If you love it, good for you.
--
As for the curling, the torch was passed on Sunday night as Rachel Homan beat Jennifer Jones in the Scotties final. One has to think that the Jones rink will call it quits after the Olympics while the Homan rink likely won their  first of many Scotties and could indeed be the rink that represents our country at Sochi.
----
I have often said the coolest commissioner in pro sports today is Marc Cohon. CFL brass is coming to our fine city this week for the CFL congress. It will culminate in the CFL coach of the year luncheon happening. Cohon tweeted Friday night that he will be at the Press Box on Wednesday from 7-830 and that CFL fans should join him for a drink. Can you see Gary Bettman, Bud Selig, Roger Goodell or David Stern doing this. Cohon just gets it. The only thing is that I can’t see the old commish leaving the Press Box before 830 especially if Kevin Dureau and Jason White have anything to do with it.
--
Speaking of the CFL, someone I know who has some connections to the Riders told me the schedule will be released this week---perhaps as early as Monday seeing the CFL congress is here. This person also told me that 6 of the Rider home games this year will be played on a Saturday with 2 on a Friday and one on a Sunday. I'm a little doubtful of that. I can't see the Labour Day game being the only Sunday game of the season and I can't see the game being changed to a Saturday night because of the highly successful fan day that is held Saturday. My source has given me some info that has proven to be correct and some of that has proven to be incorrect. I will hold my breath on this one, but we will see. We will also see if the Riders are going to play in Touchdown Atlantic. If they do, it will be against Hamilton and I say why not! Its about time that the Maritime chapter of the Rider Nation got to see their team up close and personal. Hey Rod, can I come along on that roadie? That would be a great trip!
----

I've heard a couple of people say new Montreal coach Dan Hawkins will fall flat on his face because he has no CFL experience. Hmmmmmmm, the last guy Jim Popp had no CFL experience and he did quite well for himself.
------

I’ve had a few people ask me for some reason what I think of the Saskatoon Blades winning 15 games in a row. I say its great, but I also say it doesn’t mean anything right now. If you lose in the first round of the playoffs or the WHL final, no one will remember that down the road. I will also say that its about damn time the Blades started playing like a team that will be in the Memorial Cup. Enjoy the ride Saskatoon!
--
How can one possibly refuse buying this???



--
Congrats to Cougar track athlete Kelly Wiebe for a fine showing at the Canada West track championships in which he obliterated the conference record in the mens 3000 metres. Methinks Kelly is a guy that will soon be recognized at the national level as his future is bright. Watch for him at the 2016 Olympics in Rio. Congrats to all the Cougar athletes who medalled this weekend as well.
--
Tough weekend for the Cougar womens hockey team. They were within a shot of heading to nationals on Saturday night, but they lost a heartbreaker in triple overtime to UBC to send their semi to a Game 3….a Game 3 that UBC dominated winning by a score of 7-1. It was a great year for Sarah Hodges crew and I would expect they will be back next year.
----
Motley Crue is coming to Moose Jaw and Estevan! Its amazing what positives can happen in a community when a new building is built. I'm guessing people in both would have never imagined that a decade ago. Well done to those who made that happen in both centres. I also think it is safe to say that Mosaic Place GM Scott Clark will have to file a restraining order against Kelly Remple very soon seeing two of his favourites are going to be on "home turf". The Silver Fox must think he is in a time machine!
--
I keep hearing people refer to Taylor Hall as the Oilers best player. ???? Perhaps its just my Regina bias coming through, but I think Jordan Eberle is the best player on the Oilers and not Hall. Speaking of the Oilers, when will the team go out and find some gritty forwards. I would love to see someone like a David Bolland, Troy Brouwer or Kris Versteeg wearing Edmonton colours. Someone that isn’t afraid to get their nose dirty. There’s a lot of talent on the Oilers, but they need those sandpaper guys to be successful too because at times they are just too soft especially in their own end.
--
So Curtis Granderson, how’s your season going?
--
My buds at Capital Ford Lincoln came through for me big-time on Friday. I needed a quick fix on my beast and a quick fix is what I got. I walked in at 910 and was at work by 1015. Thanks guys!
--
The Dennis Bermudez-Matt Grice UFC battle on Saturday night is perhaps the best UFC bout I have ever witnessed. That has to be a fight of the year candidate!
--
Why is Jim Hopson patrolling the crowd at High Impact Wrestling?

I don't really know who this person is supposed to be, but he thinks he's a someone at HIW. Sort of like Rex Roberts who once again didn't come through in the clutch. Thank you Thrillin Dylan!
----
Its nice that the Academy chose the Toronto Argos Grey Cup highlight film as the movie of the  year.
----

What's one way to avoid stress? Stop giving a you know what.
----
Have a great week!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agree with you 1000 percent on NASCAR. I will never get it.



LD

Anonymous said...

There is no way that the Riders are playing just one Sunday game at Mosaic this year. I could see 6 Saturdays, 2 Sundays and a Friday, but not one Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Mitch,

I missed that show, but I too have a hard time trying to figure out what HIW is doing with that guy. It's been close to a year he's been on the scene and he never does anything. I think they have an idea for him to be a Big Bubba Rogers from NWA ( he became WWF Big Bossman), but he is clearly not getting over.

I have to be a the next show in March for sure.

Obama

Anonymous said...

Bermidez-Grice was AWESOME!! I don't know if I've ever seen a better UFC fight. They have to have a rematch!


Kyle

Anonymous said...

6 Saturdays?! That's stupid! We need more Friday night games here.

Anonymous said...

I agree with no Sundays after NFL season starts. There is too much of a competition there. The entire CFL should just play Friday and Saturday when NFL starts. Because of that, I think there should be more Friday home games.


Jason

Anonymous said...

Riders won't play home too many Fridays due to out of town season ticket holders...

Anonymous said...

You and Roberts need to hug it out in the ring! The way you two go after one another is hilarious. Is it a work?

Anonymous said...

I'd rather watch NASCAR than golf, curling or baseball any day of the week.

Anonymous said...

Nascar is terrible!

Anonymous said...

More Sunday games! Who gives a rats ass about the NFL. Not I!


DT

Anonymous said...

No doubt that Ebs is Edmonton's best player!

Anonymous said...

Id rather watch women curlers in their tight pants than watch cars go around a track for three hours. Golf is way more interesting to watch than NASCAR.