Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2014

This And That

 
 
 
Just the weekly assorted thoughts running through my muddled mind
 
 
--I'm still basking in the glow of the Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl win. The city of Seattle honored the champs Wednesday and it was something else. Around 750-800 thousand fans turned out in either downtown Seattle or at CenturyLink Field or the neighbouring Safeco Field to honor the champs. FOX Seattle did an outstanding job of covering the event from top to bottom and I was riveted. I know our fan base is a passionate one in Saskatchewan. but the "12's" give them a run for their money. I'm just happy to say I'm a part of both.
 
 
 
 
 
--There was a lot of support thrown Jon Ryan's way because of his involvement in the Super Bowl and Regina may have turned into a Seahawks town because of what's happened over the past couple of weeks. You knew the Saskatchewan support would be there for the Regina product because there was a lot of it before he even had the opportunity to play in the game. I will throw this at you though. Considering what has happened in this neck of the woods this month, where would your allegiances lie if Super Bowl 49 had the Seahawks going up against the Kansas City Chiefs. Think about it for a second!
 
--I made my first trip to CenturyLink Field for a game and the Seahawks win the Super Bowl. Could the same thing  happen with the Cubs when I make my first pilgrimage to Wrigley Field. Hmmmmmmm??? Yeah, that's stretchin it!
 
 
--If you heard Tuesday's Sportscage, you heard Ben Hebert go off on the Saskatchewan Curling Association. The lead on the Kevin Martin rink, who is from this fine province of ours, defended the Brock Virtue rink after their actions at the Sask-Tel Tankard final on Sunday in which Virtue was tossed out marking two years in a row a member of the team had been kicked out. I didn't agree with all of what Hebert said like the SCA is out for that rink because two members are from Alberta, but I do agree with him on the SCA being a little too strict. Curling is an emotional game and its not like the curling your mom and dad grew up with. There's a lot on the line now and emotions are going to come out. We see guys "act up" on the ice quite a bit when it comes to broom tossing, swearing and other things. The CCA doesn't kick out guys and girls for acting up, so why should the SCA.  Hebert's best point might have been no one is talking about Steve Laycock winning, but what happened during the game. He's right. Laycock deserves his moment in the sun and he's not getting it.
 
 
--It has come to my attention Paradise Cinemas in northwest Regina has closed down meaning there is now no longer a place in this fine city to do any mini-golfing. This must change!
 
 
--If Regina now has a Swiss Chalet, can we now find a way to get a Hooters, Outback Steakhouse, Buffalo Wild Wings, Fuddruckers and Olive Garden here. That's in no particular order either.
 
 
--Like many of you I am cringing over the tax hike that is being proposed in the budget. This city is growing and its reputation seemingly improves day by day by day. With growth means higher taxes, but 15 percent (7 property tax and 8 water and sewer) is a little too much. I would take 10 and I think a lot of Reginans would as well. That would still be a hit and I know you and I won't be getting a 10 percent raise anytime soon, but that number would be a little more manageable.
 
 --My excitement towards the Olympics is lukewarm. I think that will change once I see our athletes doing their thing. Like many of you, I will be concentrating on how A) the mens hockey team does and B) the Saskatchewan contingent.
 
 
--Henrik Sedin is not going to the Olympics. Who will Daniel spoon with now? Can those two be apart from one another for two weeks? 
 
--If I am Kevin Glenn, I am some kinda pissed right now.
 
--If I am the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, I am some kinda pissed right now. Where do they go now? Is Glenn an option? They did sign Drew Willy to a contract after a trade with the Riders, but if I am a Bombers fan, I am wondering why they just didn't wait for free agency so they could have gotten him for nothing instead of losing Jade Etienne. I don't know if we know how good Etienne can be in this league. Its early, but I think Brendan Taman took Kyle Walters to the woodshed on this one.
 
--Do you think Henry Burris looked at the "talent" in Winnipeg and realized he had better talent to work with in Ottawa.
 
--Does Burris' signing mean Ottawa won't have enough for what seemingly is free agent to be Craig Butler. I had heard the Renegades were ready to make him a big offer. It still might come, but the offer could be reduced because of Hank's pricetag.
 
--I find it interesting Luca Congi asked for his release and there is no indication as to whether or not the Riders will be re-signing Chris Milo. Once again, I have heard the REDBLACKS would like to get their mitts on Milo. Could Luca be returning? Right now, I would say no, but never say never-----especially in the CFL.
 
--I am told the CFL schedule should be in our  hands by this time next week.
 
--With CBS getting the Thursday night football package, what does this mean for "The Big Bang Theory". If CBS can have Kaley Cuoco as their sideline reporter or any part of the broadcast for that matter I'm OK with it. Speaking of which, I knew there was a reason I loved FOX Sports 1's Charissa Thompson....
 
 
Then again, she is a Seattle girl!
 
--Can Stefanie Lawton find a way to beat Rachel Homan this weekend and win the Scotties so that she's Team Canada for the 2015 event in Moose Jaw. Here's hopin!
 
--That's all I got. Have a great weekend!
 


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great question. Regina's son versus Regina's adopted son. That's a tough one!

Anonymous said...

Those guys are giving curling a bad name in our province. I heard that interview with Hebert and I was disgusted with it. How can you condone immature behavior that embarrasses you and the sport?


Tyler

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing about Butler and Ottawa. They must have over 600 thousand invested in QB's. Is there any team willing to take Glenn at his salary? Doubt it.

Anonymous said...

Isn't Etienne a free agent as well?

Anonymous said...

With Dressler being a punt returner, how awesome would it be seeing Ryan making the tackle on a Dressler punt return. What a great picture that would be!

Rob

Anonymous said...

Hi Mitch,

- Congrats on Seattle winning as you are true fan of that franchise.

- If a family didn't want their ears to bleed then Paradise Mini Golf for years was Regina's best kept secret. This is a viable business venture for somebody, but adding on the movie theatre was a colossal mistake. People don't go to movies anymore, and the Rainbow Cinema is tenuous at best. They rely on the consession stand, and with the high cost to build the theatre onto the mini golf, it was to much ground to make up. Somebody please buy this and bring it back.

- Regarding the tax hike/water hike I won't get on a political rant, but I don't want to say I told anyone so, but I told them so. This started when the previous Mayor got elected on all style no substance, couldn't or wouldn't say no when it came to hard decisions i.e, library closures, and the black hole just got larger. When he was elected it was to HOLD the line on property taxes, and I'm sure it' got to be 30% since then, and really citizens get nothing for what they pay for. Regina needs to start cutting and slashing, and if you think the is was high, the pension deficit hasn't even been addressed yet.

- I truly feel sorry for people, but I didn't vote for them, and I feel good about that.

Thanks
Obama

Anonymous said...

Ben Hebert is now some sort of an "authority" and his "opinions" on the SCA matter???? yeah, right !!!

Anonymous said...

I used to point out to people that Ben Hebert was from Regina. Not any more, I'll let Edmonton claim him.

Anonymous said...

Who cares what Hebert says, there is no room for this kind of crap in curling.

Anonymous said...

Charissa Thompson is smokin hot!! Best legs in the biz today.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Did any of you knuckledraggers actually listen to the Hebert interview? If not, go to Cage website and listen. What he said was bang on. Guys like Brad Heidt have been acting like idiots for years and no one says a word about it. Guys act up at cashspiels and Briers and no one says a word about it. This rink comes in half from Alberta and the SCA's feathers get all ruffled because they're tbe best team and they can't stand it. No wonder this province hasn't won a Brier in years and no wonder guys like Bennie and Simmoms have to go elsewhere to succeed. The truth obviously hurts and Bennie touched a nerve. Way to go Heebs!!

Anonymous said...

Is it just me or are your appearances on Cage getting fewer and far between. What's going on? Nothing against Thrill, but I want the Scruffman on there.

Shawn