Pages

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Torts Wants Sweden To Win

Vancouver Canucks head coach John Tortorella won't be watching the gold medal game on Sunday between Canada and Sweden, but that doesn't mean he's not pulling for a team.

Tortorella told The Vancouver Province he'll be cheering for Team Sweden to win gold when they take on the defending Olympic champions on Sunday morning.

"I hope Sweden wins, cause I don't think Hammer (Dan Hamhuis) is going to play, judging by what's happened. I don't think Lui (Roberto Luongo) is going to play. So, I don't give a s--- about (Canada) right now because they're not playing. I just want them back here," Tortorella told the Province.

Tortorella, born in Boston, Mass., said most of all he hopes the result helps his team when his players return.

"I hope Daniel (Sedin) scores two, (Alex) Edler gets three assists and Sweden wins. So they come back feeling good about themselves because it's going to help us. That's all I'm concerned about right now. The Vancouver Canucks," Tortorella said to the Province.

The Canucks sent seven players to the 2014 Sochi Games, including forward Ryan Kesler, who along with Team USA, lost the bronze medal game to Finland on Saturday. Tortorella said he wasn't concerned about Kesler's return to NHL action after his Olympic letdown.

"That's a tough game. It's a tough one. Especially after US-Canada, to lose that game and come back the next day and play. I'm not trying to make any excuses. I don't even want to get involved in it. But if I know Kes, he's a horse. He'll be ready to play," Tortorella promised the Province.

Tortorella says it's Sedin and Edler that he's more concerned about seeing lose.

"It's the other two guys (Edler and Daniel). Those are important guys for us that we need to get going. Danny has played well. I watched Edler make a couple really nice offensive plays on some highlights. That Alfredsson goal he made a nice play. I hope they fill the net and feel great about themselves," Tortorella told the Province.

Tortorella was an assistant coach for the United States at Vancouver 2010, when the team won silver after an overtime loss to Canada.

(TSN.CA)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should name a Chocolate Bar after him - you know, the kind filled with nuts...

Anonymous said...

Lol. Good one.