Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Long Weekend Blogging

Its a quiet Sunday morning at Casa de Blair. Quiet because my two daughters are elsewhere meaning its kid-free. If you are married, I don't think I have to tell you how much you relish mornings and evenings like this. Anyhoo, just some random thoughts as we are in the middle of the long weekend.

--It would appear as if Mother Nature might co-operate and give us half a long weekend to enjoy. It certainly didn't start out that way.

--Will the guy who predicted the end of the world please stop. I just heard he has now said the Leafs will win the Stanley Cup next year.

--Great Facebook status from Locker-Talk co host Pete Paczko about "The Rapture". He said the world can't possibly end on Saturday because he's been watching TSN and there is no mention of the Stanley Cup parade being held in Toronto. This from a Leafs fan.

--If you are an Oilers fan, there is a great write-up on the team's prospects. You can find it right here

--I think CTV Regina reporter/anchor Dan McIntosh is one of the best in the city, but will someone over at CTV please go into  his locker or whatever and grab that yellow sportsjacket and burn it.  Someone direct him to Moores when they have their two for one sale. There has to be a wardrobe budget over there when you see what guys like Jonesy and Garden are wearing, please get Dan in on this,

--Mrs. Scruffy and myself went to the Keg with my best friend and his lady last night. Lets just say if I don't eat again until Tuesday that's good. Stuffed doesn't even start to describe it. As one would expect from the Keg, it was some damn fine food. On a side note, I forgot how good their Caesars were.

--Davidson's Brayden McNabb should not be suspended for his hit on Owen Sound's Joey Hishon late in last night's 5-0 Owen Sound win at the MasterCard Memorial Cup. Hishon went to duck the hit and got smoked by the much bigger McNabb--end of story. (UPDATE: McNabb has been suspended for a game)

--The Memorial Cup is a fine event,. but what if you take a page from the NCAA Frozen Four and have the tourney be a weekend event with three games. Two semis and a final.  You get one shot to advance to the final and that's it.

--While channel surfing this morning, I found out that if you have Access Communications, you get the Oprah network. Let me get this straight---we can get the Oprah network  in Canada, but the CRTC will not give us ESPN. That is so wrong in so many areas. While I'm at it, I want the MLB network too.

--Terrible news about former Expo Gary Carter. He learned over the past couple of days that he has a series of brain tumours. He was perhaps the greatest of all who ever wore a Montreal Expos cap. Here's hoping Carter pulls through and that we aren't reading his obit anytime soon.

--I have said in the past that I enjoy the readings of Toronto Sun sports columnist Steve Simmons, but I have to disagree with what he says today about Derek Boogaard. I won't copy what Simmons says, but he feels Derek shouldn't be considered a hero for the way he went out. I understand what he is saying, but I can't subscribe to it. Sorry!

--I have heard from many hockey people over the past few days about what a great hire the SJHL made in hiring Bill Chow to replace Laury Ryan as president. I had very little problem in working with Laury and had a fun winter working with him this past one, but I'm looking forward to working with Bill and try to take the league to another level. It will be great to hear what his ideas and vision for the league are. I read an article on him this weekend in which he said he went to 344 hockey games last winter (he was a scout for the Spokane Chiefs). 344? That's a lot of bad arena coffee and rinkburgers.

--I am really enjoying the Boston-Tampa series. It has been great hockey. I love it when the game is played the way those teams have been going at it.

--Is a 3-0 lead the worst lead to have in the game these days?

--Can someone please to explain to me why Steve Downie was given a two minute minor for diving yesterday. The guy has his face slammed into the boards and he gets two for diving. WOW!!!

--If Aaron Rome doesn't turn away from Jamie McGinn on Friday night, does he get smoked face-first into the boards. NO! Don't shy away from the hit!


--I said I had made a mistake by downloading IE9 to my computer earlier this week. I corrected the mistake by putting IE8 back onto it. Much, much better.

--The sun is shining so I had better head outside and enjoy some of the long weekend. That is until the mosquitoes drive me back inside.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pray for Gary Carter!

Anonymous said...

What did Simmons say?


Dustin

Anonymous said...

Rome had it coming. He looked, saw it coming and turned his back hoping to draw a penalty.

Anonymous said...

Keg is good Scruffy, but if you haven't tried Silvers, you should.

Anonymous said...

Why no mention of the WWCFL?

Ed said...

Come on Scruff Downie dove.........unless his head is made out of Indian rubber it doesn't bounce like that without some serious acting to help it along. Plus he should get another two just for being an idiot most days.

Anonymous said...

Hey Regina Riot - if you want to be taken seriously and get the coverage you're moaning about, have somebody sent out media releases.

It ain't rocket science.

Dan McIntosh said...

Mitch. That suit jacket is money. I'm just so far ahead of the fashion curve no one can catch up. P.S. - I cut my own hair too. I'm like Armani and Sassoon rolled into one.