Pages

Friday, May 13, 2011

Up And Running Again

The group that serves as the host for this blog and many others around the world has not been operating properly over the past 12-18 hours which has made updates impossible, so even it’s though its now a little late, here goes




Your final four in the NHL are the Canucks, Sharks. Bruins and Lightning. Did you have that? I mused on here the other day what it would be like for Steve Yzerman if we saw a Detroit-Tampa Stanley Cup final. As I watched the Sharks celebrate their ousting of the Wings in Game 7, it dawned upon me that Commissioner Gary Bettman could hand the Stanley Cup to Joe Thornton in Boston. How sweet of a moment would that be for Joe considering the way he left Beantown.



With the return of Sidney Crosby up in the air and the downturn that Alex Ovechkin took this year, has Pavel Datsyuk become the poster-child for the NHL. Why not? He is the complete player and that backhand last nite was sick and nasty!



Will it be a Boston-San Jose final. No. I see the Canucks taking on the Bruins in the final and I do see Boston winning it. That being said, I think the Lightning will be very tough.



-----

Canada was beaten in the quarter-finals by the Russians at the World Hockey Championships meaning we don’t medal at this event for the 2nd year in a row. To some Canadians, they don’t care about this event because it is secondary to the Stanley Cup playoffs. To some players, they don’t care after the grueling run of the playoffs in which they aren’t 100 percent, but it still leaves me pissed off. We are the number one hockey nation in the world and if we send a team over to compete in a tournament, I expect to win it. Yes, I realize some of our best players aren’t available, but that doesn’t matter. Hockey Canada prez Bob Nicholson said going without a medal for two years in a row is completely unacceptable and I agree with him.

----

While on the topic of the worlds, I will just raise this again. If Quebec City and Halifax could host this event a couple of years ago, why couldn’t Regina and Saskatoon. We did a pretty damn good job of doing the juniors. I may have to ask Mayor Pat that question next week when he comes on the “Sportscage”.

Speaking of “The Cage”, I jump into the host’s chair for the next week seeing Rod is off to New York City. As is always the case on a Friday, the Jeremy Roenick of football –Scott Schultz will join me as it is “Four Seasons Football Friday”. We will have recently retired Argo Adriano Belli and former Riders QB Kerry Joseph on the show today starting at 4

-----

Tough break for those going to Vancouver for UFC 131 hoping to see Brock Lesnar. The mammoth Lesnar has pulled out because of health problems. This is related to the health problem that just about took his life a couple of years ago, but its said to be not as serious. One has to wonder though if Lesnar’s time in the octagon may have come to an end.

------

Don’t like the headline in the paper that says it could be a bad year for mosquitoes in Regina. You know with all the standing water around that they are just waiting to hatch and spoil our summer, but I thought the city would be ready. I guess the answer is no when I find out they don’t have the budget for it that they normally do. It begs the question---clean residential streets in the winter or mosquito free nights in the summer. You know I may vote for the latter on that one. What about you?

------

Word is Ashton Kutcher will replace Charlie Sheen on “Two and A Half Men”. I’ll pass. I’d rather see the adventures of Jake than Ashton Kutcher.

-----

Will the NHL work as hard to keep the Thrashers in Atlanta as they are to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix. It doesn’t sound like it.

----

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good point on the Thrashers. It doesnt seem if the NHL cares about them as much as they do about the Coyotes.

Have a good week on the show.

Anonymous said...

If the Worlds were a month later I would care because then maybe 90 percent of our best players would be there. Its an event that means more to the Euros than us.


Dale

Anonymous said...

I think the question that needs to be asked if why aren't more NHL'ers playing for Team Canada. They all of a sudden come up with a phantom injury. Is it because no $$$$$ come their way. Oh, did I just answer my own question!

LD

Anonymous said...

I bought tickets to UFC just to see Lesnar. ARRRGGHHHHH!!!

Anonymous said...

An interesting observation on the Final 4 in the NHL playoffs. 3 out of the 4 coaches all come up through the Habs organization.Yet the Habs still have Martin and I hear Muller is as good as gone..Yikes Bill from Regina