Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Do The Oilers Really Need Cheerleaders?

Cheerleaders are eye candy. We all know that. Cheerleaders are common on the sidelines, but until a few years ago, they weren't even thought of in the hockey rink. However, one team got the idea going and it mushroomed to the point that many teams south of the 49th parallel are now doing it. Soon, the Edmonton Oilers will be doing it too. Why?

Don't get me wrong. As a red-blooded male, I will take a look at the cheerleaders, but I really don't think they are needed in a place like Edmonton. In fact, I don't think any of the six Canadian teams need cheerleaders. Will Edmonton be the first? Do they have them in Vancouver? Are they in Toronto? Montreal?

In announcing this move, Oilers president Patrick Laforge says it will enhance the in-game experience. In Canada, I would think NHL fans are already loving the in-game experience. I have no qualms with looking at attractive women on my TV screen, but in Canadian hockey rinks it makes me wonder why. I would think Laforge should be excited enough in seeing his young Oilers compete, but it seems as if he wants Oilerettes too. Who's kidding who, this might give Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall the chance to make some post-game plans while battling it out in a one-goal hockey game.
----
Methinks the Giants are going to win the World Series. Texas has to beat them four out of 5 to win it all and I don't think they have the arms. Matt Cain was outstanding in Game 2 with the Giants breaking it open late to win 9-0. The big hit came from Edgar Renteria. His homerun gave San Fran a lead they wouldn't give up. Hard to believe Renteria has been in the game 14 years.
-----
Did anyone else get a call in the YQR last nite from someone doing an independent radio survey. Depending on who they were working for, they either got what they wanted or they didn't.
------
I don't like what Environment Canada's chief climatologist David Phillips is saying. Phillips says what we have just gone through is a "Saskatchewan slasher". I thought that was Tiger Williams?
----
Early reports from someone who has seen him play says new Rider quarterback Noah Shepard is a player. This person doesn't know if Shepard has the arm strength that is needed, but he says he's a real good quarterback.
----
There's a Girls Gone Wild TV show? Where was this 20 years ago? I can only imagine the stories (and the film) that the cameramen for this show has. I wonder what they pay them?
----
Its culture night in Regina. Its another performance of High Impact Wrestling! Do I have to say more!
----
Who went to Reba last night? I'm guessing it was an outstanding show.
-----
Children in the backseat cause accidents, Accidents in the backseat cause children.
----
Have a good Friday!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reba was unbelievable! Perhaps better last night than she was at Craven.

Anonymous said...

I was playing hockey last night, but my wife got a call from some woman on that radio thing. She said that all she listens to is CD's and the 730 news. She lied though as she is forced to listen to "The Cage" on our way home from work.

Brian

Anonymous said...

Are there enough cute girls in Edmonton to make a cheerleading squad? I hope its better than what the Eskimos trot out there.

Anonymous said...

The Oiler cheerleaders might be better than the team themselves on some nights. This is no worse to me than the Pats putting some hotties in the hot-tub most nights.


Rich

Anonymous said...

Just discovering what's on HDnet are you?? Thursday nights are a great night for the wife to go to bed early. There's more than just GGW to whet your appetite on that channel on a Thursday night.

Anonymous said...

Whoever was doing the radio survey would have got very little from me. Regina radio sucks and it has for a long time. I listen to satellite radio just about all the time. I might catch a newscast before I go to work and listen to 980 and 620 when their sports shows are on when I'm taking the kids to this or that but that is it.

Travis

Anonymous said...

Hockey teams with cheerleaders is an absurd idea
Reba was great!
Shame on you for watching Girls Gone Wild (or for at least not telling me)
Are you and Schultz co-hosting the Cage today?


Jerry