Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Au Revoir Ben

After 13 seasons, 224 games, 1,017 catches,13,301 yards and 65 touchdowns, slotback Ben Cahoon has decided to hang up his cleats.

Cahoon, whose name has been repeated out loud many times by Alouettes’ fans at Olympic Stadium and Percival Molson Stadium, had a great career in Montreal. He retires as the all-time CFL leader in receptions with 1,017. He eclipsed Terry Vaughn’s record of 1,006 receptions in 2010, his final season.

Cahoon, who played every single of his 13 CFL seasons in Montreal, retires as a champion after helping the Als win the last two Grey Cup championships. He helped the Als win three Grey Cups throughout his career (2002, 2009 and 2010) while being named the game’s Most Valuable Canadian twice (2003 and 2009). He is the all-time leader in Grey Cup history with 47 receptions as well as 666 receiving yards.


“My time in Montreal has been magical beyond my wildest childhood dreams. It has been such an honour to put on the helmet and pads of the Montreal Alouettes for the last 13 years. My life and the lives of my family will forever be enriched because of our time in Canada,” said Cahoon.

“My family and I appreciate the love and support of the wonderful Montreal Alouettes’ fans – as well as the CFL fans across this great country. I wish to thank Mr. Bob Wetenhall for the competent and caring way in which he runs his organization. I also would like to thank my teammates,coaches as well as their families for their enduring friendship and for sacrificing so much in our quest for a championship. They have showed that an unselfish and unified team is the most important key to victory.”

“My football career is proof that persistence and determination pay off, that success comes not from winning a game but from doing your best and that consistency is more important than greatness. The lessons I’ve learned on the football field will undoubtedly serve me well in the future,” concluded Cahoon.

No comments: