Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Sunday Smorgasbord

I spent some time in Saskatoon yesterday. Before leaving, and seeing it was lunchtime, I decided I would go to a place that I haven't been to in years. A place that serves great burgers----yes, I went to Fuddruckers. I made the mistake of getting there shortly after the lunch hour rush had started and there was a line, but yes, it was worth it.
I know Regina used to have a Fuddruckers and I know that for some reason it went under because business wasn't great. Its time to get one of these going again. I know many a Reginan who when in Saskatoon stops at Fudds. In fact, there were two Regina hockey teams in there when I was there. I think many in Regina would appreciate a Fudds here again. Someone make it happen!
-----
Have you watched the NHL all-star game festitivities this weekend. Its working in Raleigh and that is what matters to the league, but everyone I talk to has just lot excitement for the game and the showcase around it. The draft was interesting to watch for about 5 minutes,(Who had Cam Ward going number one overall?) but the skills competition was something I didn't take in until the end when the breakaway competition was held. Perhaps its because I can't accept the fact that PK Subban, David Backes, and Claude Giroux are mentioned in the same sentence as the word all-star. Yeah, I know replacements have to be chosen for those who are injured, but those guys don't jump off the page at me.
-----
The Chicago Blackhawks had a trio of defencemen in Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook and Brian Campbell that helped them win a Stanley Cup. Do you think anyone in Chicago knew that Dustin Byfuglien was perhaps a better d-man than all three of those guys? Byfuglien is being considered as a Norris Trophy candidate. I also heard the guys on XM Radio discussing that the Hawks are looking to bring Byfuglien back via trade. I don't see that happening.
-----
After hearing Hockey Night in Canada radio on Sirius, it isn't the same listening to XM's NHL coverage. There is no comparison. HNIC has it hands down.
-----
At the end of HNIC's coverage last night, Ron McLean said something about since Gary Bettman doesn't want to join us, we will have the results of the players association poll. I know Bettman and McLean don't see eye to eye, but did something happen yesterday that I missed between the two. Is there a reason why the NHL commish isn't coming on HNIC?
------
Good news---Phil Kessel won a car for being the last player drafted Friday night. Bad news---Brian Burke informed him after he got the keys that the car is property of the Boston Bruins.
-----
Do you think fate has it in store that someday Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan will be a couple?
-----
My satellite radio wasn't working on the way to Saskatoon for some reason yesterday so I listened to regular radio for a bit. I tuned in to the Bull. I liked what I heard.
-----
A conversation I heard before my satellite radio went down on Sirius' NFL channel. Some guy was trying to say that Brett Favre shouldn't be considered as one of the Packers top 10 players because people are forgetting the past and concentrating on the future. This guy, who was Wisconsin based, and obviously still holds a grudge with Brett for everything that happened believes guys like Bart Starr, Paul Hornung, Jerry Kramer and Ray Nitschke who were members of the team when they won the first two Super Bowls are more important than Favre when it comes to the Packers. OK!!
-----
For those that bitch and complain about a players performance in a game and how could he play like that with so much on the line. I give you this. David Akers was roasted in Philly after the Eagles kicker missed two makeable field goals against Green Bay. Where was Akers before the game that day and where did he spend most of that weekend? The answer would be a Philadelphia hospital where he had taken his young daughter after it was discovered that a cancerous cyst was found on the ovary of his six year old. You tell me you could concentrate on a game with that hanging over your head.
-----
Big emotional win for the Pats last night as they beat Moose Jaw in overtime scoring in the last minute to tie it. I remember this happening a couple of years ago when Brett Leffler scored in OT just after the Pats had tied it and everyone thought this was the turning point and that the playoffs were right around the corner. That didn't happen. Will it happen this time around?
-----
As I watched the proceedings at High Impact Wrestling go down this month, I could only look at Rod Pedersen sitting in the row in front of me and ask "Would Bryan Hall and Bob Irving do this? Would Joe Buck be doing this?" God, I hope so!!! They need entertainment in their lives too.
-----
There are things you look forward to in sports----an Ovechkin goal celebration, a Henry Burris interception, etc. etc. etc. One of those things for me is an eye-poke from Principal Richard Pound. It is a magical moment!
-----
I am going to visit the legendary Whitney Forum in Flin Flon this week. The place where greats like Bobby Clarke and Reggie Leach laced it up. I'll grab some pics.
-----
I have no idea who wins the Royal Rumble tonight. None! Something in the back of my mind says we see a return of Triple H tonight, but I can't see him being catapulted into the main event like what happened with John Cena a few years ago.
------
One week from today, its Super Bowl 45 with the Packers playing the Steelers. I'm guessing FOX's pre-game show must be starting soon!
-----
Have a good Sunday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Put me down as one who would love to see Fuddruckers back in Regina. That's a must-stop everytime I'm in Saskatoon.

The Hawks miss more than Byguflien


Darrell

Mike Stackhouse said...

HNIC Radio is definitely better than the NHL XM station. NHL on XM sounds a lot like some budget radio station where cutting corners and simply being on the air are passed off as quality programming.

I haven't listened to NHL on XM in a couple of years. Jamie Shalley? Cmon. Is he still on there?

Listen to the MLB and NFL stations on satellite radio and then listen to the NHL. No comparison.

Anonymous said...

I remember my first game in the Flon: I got hammered from behind into the glass and my mouth was bleeding all over the ice and the crowd went nuts and harrassed me the whole game, I couldn't believe it!