Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Saturday Morning Thoughts

--A lot is being made of the fact Ben Roethlisberger went out and spent a bunch of money at a Dallas area bar on Tuesday night. Yes, the Pittsburgh quarterback should know better than to be visiting bars considering his past, but this is no big deal as far as I'm concerned. It was Tuesday night and the Superbowl is Sunday. If he doesn't play well, don't hang his social life as the reason why. If Big Ben was doing this Friday or Saturday night, you could bitch, but there really is no story here.

--Those criticizing Andy Fantuz for jumping to the NFL are just selfish as far as I'm concerned. You love the guy when he is here, but when he gets a chance to fulfill his dream of playing in the NFL you are all over him. Why? Do you have dreams? If you get a chance to live them out, do you do it? As I have said before when guys like John Chick and Stevie Baggs went to the NFL, I would rather have NFL teams plucking our guys instead of having no guys to pluck. It says something for the organization. It means our guys are elite. Yeah, it also means a big hole has been created, but that means its time for some guys to step up. Andy will be missed, but Rider fans should be thanking him for his time spent here and not getting on his case because he is no longer a member of the beloved green. Good luck Andy. I know you have the hands, but I don't know if you have the speed to be an NFL receiver. If you do, I'll be watching a lot of you on Sunday. I just wonder how long it will take before you go I'd rather have Darian Durant as my quarterback instead of Jay Cutler.

--I really do find it funny hearing all these people whine about how cold it is at the Super Bowl in Dallas. Yes, Dallas does not get temperatures like this normally in early February, but to hear some think its the end of the world just because it got down to minus 7 celsius. Game time temperature tomorrow is to be plus 3 celsius ---so in other words, just a couple of degrees warmer than its been in Regina for the past couple of days.

--I'm really starting to think the Oilers will have the number one draft pick in this year's draft again. I don't know if that should please me or not. The rebuilding process is working, but its not moving as quickly as I thought it would. A playoff team is needed next year.

--The Flames have gotten hot since gassing Darryl Sutter as GM, but they know a youth movement is needed as well. Do you try and start that youth movement at the trade deadline with Iginla and Kiprusoff or do you let those guys try to get you to the playoffs, do what you can and then move them in the off-season. I am thinking new Flames GM Jay Feaster will get a lot of calls on both. Kiprusoff to Philly---why not? What would it take to get him though?

--I can't believe that Alex Ovechkin only got his 20th of the year on Friday night.

--I don't know if I've ever seen a goalie one-punch another goalie like Brent Johnson did to Rick Dipietro.

--The NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers have lost 23 games in a row. Didn't Lebron wear 23 in Cleveland? Tell me again how one man can't change the fortunes of a team.

--The proudest papa in Regina right now has to be Kelly Moskowy and why not. His son Braeden went 12-0 at the Canadian Junior Curling championships and has a spot in Sunday's final while his daughter Brooklyn will compete for Team Sask in girls hockey at the Canada Winter Games. Brooklyn's a pretty good little hockey player too.

--My sympathies and thoughts are with my Access 7 Locker Talk co-host Pete Paczko. Pete has gone back home to Ontario after his mother died this week. With me on the road doing some SJHL duties, it throws the show into some chaos for the next couple of weeks, but we will get through. Pete's a huge Packers fan so perhaps a win can give him a couple of hours of happiness at a time when there can't be much of that going on.

--I heard someone say the other day with the arrival of Steve Buratto that the Riders have formed a great coaching staff with a lot of experience and that they have never had that before. Uh, can we go back one year when people were saying the same thing.

--Do you think Brian Towriss will ever make the leap from the CIS to the CFL? The U of S Huskies coach is one of the best in Canada if not the best, but I really don't think he wants to take that next step.

--That's all I got. Have a good Saturday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said on the Fantuz signing, cannot be said any better. It's sad when we hear fans bad mouth Andy for going to the NFL.The upcoming work stoppage might concern me though.

Good luck in the NFL Andy.

Anonymous said...

I think its warmer in Regina today than it is in Dallas. I think its only plus 4 or 5 in Phoenix.

Anonymous said...

What are all you well-wishers going to say when Andy is catching passes for the Ti-cats or Argos? Locked out this year, cut next year---total free agent. Sign in the east, mid-season 2012.