Pages

Monday, November 28, 2011

Score Made GC99 Closer Than It Was

I knew the BC Lions would win the 99th Grey Cup and I knew it would be a dominant victory. The final score only made it look better for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers because they were soundly beaten in every area of the game yesterday.

The Lions put the pressure on Winnipeg right from the opening kickoff when Tim Brown returned it out near the 50 giving BC good field possession to start off the game. With Winnipeg unable to move the ball, the field position just got better and better for the Lions and once they got that big lead, I knew they weren't giving it up.

Just some thoughts on the 99th GC...

--I don't know if Travis Lulay should have been the MVP. I might have gone with Harris or Arland Bruce.
--Why doesn't Wally Buono ever get a gatorade shower? Some people tweeted me after the game that its because of a medical condition. I have never heard about this. I guess it would explain it though.
--I laughed when Alex Suber mocked the Arland Bruce touchdown pose, but I knew Bruce would have the last laugh.
--I'm not the biggest Nickleback fan, but they aced the halftime show. That's the best halftime show I've seen at the Grey Cup in years. I know there are a lot of Nickleback haters out there and I understand that, but you would love to trade places with them yesterday or many other days I'm guessing.
--Chris Cuthbert, Glen Suitor, Sara Orlesky and Farhan Lalji along with everyone else at TSN should be commended for once again bringing Canadians a first rate broadcast. TSN just knows how to get it done. I know Sara recently got the gig to work with the Jets and be the Winnipeg reporter, but I have to wonder if those at ESPN have noticed her work. She has come a long ways since her days at the Score and I would have to think she will make the move south at some point if she wants to.
--Why isn't anyone criticizing Buck Pierce for his game yesterday. I thought he was horrible.
--Did anyone see Roy Shivers talking to Wally after the game. Shiv is still Shiv and yes, pimpin ain't easy!!! WOW!!!

Just some other thoughts on the weekend

--I'm glad the GC wasn't played in Calgary because of those high winds that ripped through the city. Who's kidding who, the game wouldn't have been played.
--I still laugh at the Angelo Mosca-Joe Kapp fight on Friday that I think was first brought to everyone's attention on "The Sportscage". If you haven't seen video of the fight, its right here. Who's kdding who, that might be the story of the 99th Grey Cup.
--Good for Global TV"s Derek Meyers to do a live hit from BC Place early Monday morning on the 1st ever Global Regina morning show. I knew Heather Anderson, Rustie Dean and Scott McLean (along with those behind the cameras) would knock one out of the park on day one and they did. That isn't a condemnation of the CTV Regina morning show which is also very good, but Heather is extremely talented if you ask me and can go as far as she wants to.
--I think its pretty low of the Argos to announce the Scott Milanovich hiring before the ink on the Grey Cup headlines are dry. I guess that team needs to do some marketing a-s-a-p to get people interested, but couldn't they have waited a couple of days. The question I have is how much longer until the Henry Burris to Toronto trade is announced.
--If you didn't see Friday's Vanier Cup, you missed a beauty. If MacMaster quarterback Kyle Quinlan doesn't get an invite to a CFL training camp, there is something wrong. That game was better than the Grey Cup and better than a lot of football games I have seen in a long time. It was a great showcase for Canadian University football and just how good it is. It even had Lee Jones on the sidelines so that just tells you right there how good it was.
--TEEEEEEE-BOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! How does this guy keep doing it?
--The Seahawks just frustrate me to no end. You can have your Riders and I understand that, but the Seahawks are the team that I can sit and pick apart as a fan every week (albeit I don't post under some stupid name on the Rider fan boards. I'll leave that for intelligent roofers. Losing to Washington at home-----GRRRRRRRR!!!
--Stevie Johnson's mocking of Plaxico Burress should get him a suspension. That wasn't called for. Perhaps Johnson should concentrate more on catching the football than his TD celebrations as he dropped two big balls at the end of the Bills-Jets game.
---I was in Shaunavon on the weekend so I didn't get to watch the first half of NFL games. I listened to Paul Allen do the Vikings-Falcons game on 710 Bismarck. I have never heard PA do a whole game until yesterday. I liked him before, I love him now. His style is unique.
--I didn't take the satellite radio with me to Shaunavon, but I listened to the Eagle in Swift Current quite a bit. Lets just say I'm glad I didn't take the satellite radio. They were playing some great tunes---especially Sunday morning.
--Bruce Boudreau will find work with another NHL team before Paul Maurice does. I'm really surprised to see Boudreau get axed, but its obvious there was something wrong between him and Alex Ovechkin and in that battle, the player wins.
--Sidney Crosby should have been suspended one game for his elbow on Marcus Foligno. Others would get that. It would send a definite message if Brendan Shanahan suspended the game's best player.
--Speaking of Sid, a buddy of mine in Vegas says you can bet 100 dollars on Crosby winning the NHL scoring race and get 700 back if it happens. That's tempting.
--How many of you washed your car this weekend?
--How many of you are checking to see how much windshield wiper fluid you have left and if you have to buy more?
--How many of you are making sure you spread some salt or something out because of icy spots on the driveway or sidewalk?
--Maybe talk to you on the Cage today. It depends on Pedersen's flight plans and if everything is running on time. Yes, we will talk about the firings of Bruce Boudreau and Paul Maurice because that is what everyone's talking about, right? If you want to talk about that little ol game yesterday we can do that too. 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

"He dropped two big balls..."

Unintentional hilarity!


DST

Anonymous said...

Winnipeg was outclassed and you're right, the score flattered the Bombers. I don't think BC was ever worried with what happened in the final 3 minutes.

Bruce sure would have looked good in Rider green this year. Is Miller or Taman to blame for that? Both?

The Vanier Cup (2nd half) was must-watch TV.

Chris G

Anonymous said...

What was with Matt Dunigan on the podium? The boy needs to calm down just a little.

Anonymous said...

If Odell Willis catches that pass Lulay goes from MVP to goat.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on Nickelback. It was way better than what we have seen over the past few years. Theory of a Deadman was OK in Montreal, but Chad and the boys brought it.

Anonymous said...

Mosca vs Kapp at Wrestlemania? That's the highlight of the weekend!! Unreal!


Sheldon

Anonymous said...

SHIV!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Mitchy, Mitchy, Mitchy. One game does not make a pro career. Just because Quinlan shone at the Vanier Cup doesn't mean he would make a good CFL quarterback. There's a lot more to it than just one good performance. You know that!

Shawn

Anonymous said...

I'll make that bet on Sid.

Anonymous said...

The Vanier Cup was the best football game played this weekend, but Mosca-Kapp is what everyone will talk about when they think of Grey Cup weekend in Vancouver. WOW!

Brent

Anonymous said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks Sid should have been suspended.


BT

Anonymous said...

The score flattered the Bombers? They were a short kick away from making it a VERY interesting finish. What a crock of crap statement that is. I'd expect you to be a little more professional.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on Sara. TSN needs to keep her around, but I could see her working for ESPN or Versus in a short time.

Lee-Anne said...

I agree with Mitch. The score DID flatter the Bombers. The Lions were never in danger of losing that game. The 'Peg offense is brutal. The run game is Ok, but they have no receivers. Buck Pierce looked rattled throughout the game, and he is always 1 hit away from being finished. The best game the Bombers have is yapping....and what did that get them?
Kyle Quinlan is definately CFl material. I believe his is good as Kevin Glenn, Buck Pierce and he is better than Jyles and Tate. He had a great CAREER at MacMaster, not just 1 great game. I would take Quinlan over Pierce any day. Birth certificate means nothing.

Lee-Anne said...

Please tell me that Rick Worman isn't REALLY coming to the Riders! Didn't we try this once before? If this happens, my Season Tickets will NOT be renewed. What a joke!

Anonymous said...

How can you say B.C. dominated? If Willis squeezes that pick-six Winnipeg wins. Take away the so called interception by MacKenzie, different game. There should be an inquiry into that MacKenzie interception call. Whoever is in the war room in Toronto should be fired over that call. It was a kinda bang, bang play so I don't blame the onfield officials for getting it wrong but why even have a challenge process when the crew in TO is either drunk or have placed a bet the other way. Either way Higgins and company stink. If you want something to write about, try "Corruption in the CFL".

Anonymous said...

sound like the last anon is from losepeg look good on then cocky asses
Riders for ever