Pages

Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Last Saturday Before Xmas

The malls will be packed, the parking spots will be at a premium, tempers will be short. Very few will be in that Christmas spirit as they frantically search for those gifts that they have been tardy at getting already. Oh, what a wonderful day it is-----TO STAY INSIDE!
I made it a resolution of mine years ago that I do not even venture out into the day that is today because it simply isn't worth it. I will go to Walmart or Superstore at 11 o'clock at night when things have died down, but I refuse and I mean refuse to go out on the last Saturday before Christmas to do shopping of any kind or really anything else for that matter as I simply don't even want to get out there to experience the "Christmas spirit" that will be displayed. Guys, you know what I'm talking about.

It used to be great when the NFL had a pair of Saturday afternoon games, but that isn't the case this year. I'm sure I'll find something to watch. There's an NFL game tonight with Dallas playing New Orleans. For some reason, I'm not stuck on the Saints, but I certainly hope they demolish the Cowboys tonight as I can't stand Romo, Jones and the star. A Dallas loss tonight further diminishes playoff hopes and I'm all for that. (Sorry Tony in Stoon, but that's the way I roll!)

Getting back to shopping, I did have to go out with the Mrs. last nite as we had to get a couple of things --gifts and some other stuff for around the house. One of the things that was needed was toilet paper. While I was off getting some of the other stuff, the Mrs. grabbed the T-P. As we were unloading stuff out of the cart, I looked at it and remarked "Is that pink toilet paper?!" She said "I think its just the wrapping." Uh no. When we got home, I found out that yes, we had bought pink toilet paper. Let me repeat that. PINK toilet paper. Its a fundraiser for breast cancer with so much from each purchase going to fight the disease. Hey, I am all for finding a cure for cancer of any kind because it is something that I hope we find a cure for before my days on this earth are done. It is something that has affected I think everyone of us in some fashion. However, pink toilet paper! Toilet paper is not meant to be multi-coloured. It is meant to be white. Any other colour is simply wrong. I can see it now....head over to the Rider Store and get your green and white toilet paper. That would be entirely wrong. Then again, I don't think many Rider fans would want to be wiping their butt with the Rider logo. How about red and white toilet paper with the Stamps logo on it....a much better idea. Actually no it's not because toilet paper is meant to be white! Rant over!
-----
Did you see Doug Brown's comments on Mike Kelly? Say what you will about Kelly, but I thought Brown lacked a little class by attacking his former head-coach with some statements. Brown saying it was embarassing at times and then asking if Kelly had the integrity and character to be coaching the football team. If Brown had been released by the Bombers, he can say whatever he likes, but once the deed has been done, there is no use piling on. Move on Doug!Did you hear any player take potshots at Danny Barrett when he left. No! Why? There's just a little more class in Riderville than there is in Winnipeg. Guys like Gene Makowsky, Chris Szarka, Jeremy O'Day had to have had days under Danny that made them shake their head. They had the opportunity to take one last shot at their coach when he left, but they wouldn't because they are too classy as individuals to take such a step.
------
The Pats are glad to see the Christmas break come as they lose again in Calgary. That's six in a row and leaves them at 16-20-3. By reading Rod's blog this morning, it sounds as if the officiating left a lot to be desired. Brent Parker made some comments that may have him giving one last Christmas present to the league office. Parker also spoke about the World Juniors and the "green jersey" that will be worn a couple of times saying he still doesn't understand that. The "green jersey" which honours the Riders has sparked a lot of debate since the announcement was made. Hockey Canada realizes that people will spend some dollars on green jerseys because in Saskatchewan that colour scheme will sell. If it means a few extra dollars, they will do it. Does that make it right? No! However, its not the first time Canada has worn a jersey that is not red and white. Do you remember those mustard coloured things worn a few years ago to honor a Winnipeg team.....a Winnipeg hockey team. That's the only thing that bothers me here is they aren't paying tribute to a hockey team, but a football team. Yes, Saskatchewan is associated with the Riders, but its a little insulting to the Pats, Blades, Broncos, Raiders and Warriors if you ask me. I think a jersey honoring the oldest franchise in Canadian major junior hockey would have been a much better idea----especially if the sweater is to be worn in Regina.
I just ask you Rider fans--- how would you feel if the tournament was in Winnipeg and the Canadian team skated onto the MTS Centre ice wearing blue and gold, or if they wore green and gold at Rexall Place next year when the World Juniors move to Alberta or wore black and orange in Vancouver at the Olympics. I don't think you'd be in favour of it.
------
After that doctor blamed Don Cherry for causing concussions last week and Don snapping at a Toronto radio reporter this week, I'm thinking there are some at the CBC just cringing at what could happen on Coach's Corner tonight. Dare I say it, but Don may go over the wall tonight and if he does, that could be it. Don't miss it!
------
If you are one of those like me staying home and avoiding the hustle and bustle of the day, enjoy it. If you are one of those who are heading out there.....good luck!

6 comments:

mongo said...

we're the only country that gives a rat's ass about the world juniors so whatever colour jerseys they can sell they will...is it right? of course not! but that's all the tournament has become...a big money grab...these kids are thrown into the pressure cooker and god forbid they lose! or get cut! it's lost a lot of the innocence and fun it had years ago...

Anonymous said...

I don't have the problem with pink toilet paper that you do. However, the wife had better not put that in MY bathroom.

Doug Brown says the Bombers are the butt of many jokes and have to earn some respect back. Hey Doug, keep your mouth shut and play your ass off and things might improve. When the face of the franchise, which I think he is, comes out with that, it tells you how bad that organization is.

I'm taping Cherry tonight because it will be a dandy.

Blame no one but Al Ford for the green jersey fiasco and it is that---a fiasco!

R$

Anonymous said...

The officiating last night wasn't so much that the Pats were givin penalties they didn't deserve, they earned all of them. The fact is, the Hitmen badly out skated the Pats all night, won almost every puck battle, and won almost every race to a loose puck. The Pats had 4 extended offensive zone pressure situations, all of which by the Weal line. One shift drew the powerplay, the next WAS the powerplay, and 2 more after that in the third. What doesn't get mentioned is that they also got a penalty shot short handed, that should've been a simple slashing penalty to Stone. Also, the whistles were clearly put away for most of the third. The shot clock was a clear indication of how this game went, I have no idea what game Parker was watching. Maybe he should start considering what to do with his team and stop complaining about things that aren't true. And YES, I was at the game.

Nick

Anonymous said...

The Green Jersey is a way to connect with an established rabid fan base. It increases the opportunity for finacial success of the tournament in both attendance and sale of goods and decrease the chance of using the Sask Gov't's 3 million tax dollar guarantee that was required to get the tournament in Saskatchewan. You may not like it but people are voting with their wallets and I challenge you to try and come up with a better plan. Congrats to the Host Committee - thank you for bringing the games to Saskatchewan!

Anonymous said...

good stuff today Mitch...I think the Saints handle the Clownboys easily tonight, I think Romo will have trouble in the dome...Saints can pile up points quickly...

If you give me a bottle of whiskey, I may be able to go shopping...lord knows what i would come home with though!

Garts

Anonymous said...

I have the same problems with the green jersey that you have with the pink toilet paper. Canada is red and white not green and white. Its a shame Hockey Canada has to resort to this money grab.


GB