Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

He's Baaaa-ack!!!!

From the Globe and Mail:

Danny Maciocia is back in football, only this time it’s at the Canadian junior college level.

The former general manager of the Edmonton Eskimos has joined the coaching staff at College Andre-Grasset in Montreal. It’s a non-paying, volunteer position but Maciocia took it as a favour to Andre-Grasset’s head coach Tony Iadeluca.

Maciocia told Radio-Canada he had inquiries from Laval and the University of Montreal but opted to help his friend groom players between the ages of 17 and 20.

“I guess it’s like getting back to one’s roots,” Maciocia was quoted as saying on the Radio-Canada website. “I think it will help me in the future, whether it’s in the university ranks of perhaps the pros … I’m convinced that when I go back, I’ll be a better coach and a better person as well.”

Maciocia was fired on July 31 by the Eskimos after they won their first game of the 2010 Canadian Football League season. The team has yet to name a replacement and is currently interviewing candidates.

Maciocia joined the Eskimos in 2002. He was an offensive assistant when Edmonton won the Grey Cup in 2002 and the head coach when it won again in 2005. The Montreal native had also coached with the Montreal Alouettes.

“This (Andre-Grasset position) gives me a chance to reflect a little bit,” he said. “You can’t forget that I’ve never worked in the university ranks. Now I’ll see what it’s like to work with a young football player who’s also studying.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What would Laval want him as? Do they place ads for waterboys now a days.


perry