Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Women In The Dressing Room

The issue of female reporters in the dressing room surfaced once again this week. It happened after a sports reporter from a Mexican TV network claims to have been harassed by members of the New York Jets.

This issue is a fine line to walk. There are many outstanding female sports journalists out there. People like TSN’s Sara Orlesky, Saskatchewan’s own Martine Gaillard on Sportsnet and FOX Sports’ Charissa Thompson are just three. This trio are all very attractive women—but they are on TV so they should be.

However there are some female sports journalists out there that I don’t really have time for for a variety of reasons. Anyone wanting to know Jennifer Hedger's background should go to Youtube and type her name in. Is that how women get into sports journalism these days? I’m also not big on US “it girl” Erin Andrews of ESPN who can twirl around in scantily-clad costumes on “Dancing with the Stars.” Yeah, that says a lot for trying to break the gender barrier.


The woman at the center of the storm in this New York Jets fiasco is also one that I don’t have respect for. Inez Sainz is a very attractive woman and she shows why she is that way in a variety of pictorials. I don’t think you will ever see the day that Orlesky, Gaillard and Thompson are on the cover of a magazine wearing a bikini or wearing extremely tight jeans and a halter-top to a practice. Its because they have worked hard to achieve the position and status that they have. You also won’t see any of these three put on a wedding dress and ask a football player to marry them as Sainz did with Tom Brady at the Super Bowl a few years ago. Her credibility is shot as far as I’m concerned. What the Jets should have done is told her she’s not welcome---but yes, that would have opened another kettle of fish.

However, whether it be someone who is dedicated to their profession or not, I still think the locker room is no place for a woman---much like a womans locker room is no room for a man. Do you think I like walking into the Rider dressing room and seeing a bunch of sweaty football players walking around in towels if that? Not really. I’m guessing there are other reporters in this town and across the country that feel the same way. I wish there was a separate room where interviews could be conducted after Rider games, but that’s not going to happen. The Pats bring players out of their dressing room to talk to the media as do other WHL teams. Same with the NHL. Hey, I realize Mosaic Stadium is so archaic that there isn’t any room to do something like this, but I would much rather talk to players like Durant, Makowsky and Frazier in a setting that is comfortable for everyone. I think the players would say the same thing.

Bottom line---if you can do it, keep everyone out of the dressing room unless they are supposed to be there. If you don’t, you are just asking for more stories like the Inez Sainz story to happen whether the female reporter is one that is credible or one that is just as much of the story as the story she is paid to research and talk about.
-----
This story about the hallucenogenic plant in Moose Jaw that sent five kids to hospital is scary. Its bad enough that parents have to worry about many things when it comes to their kids---and now this! Sadly, there are some kids out there, and some adults too, who will be looking for this plant knowing they can't be charged for having it. In fact, I don't know what's worse----this or the stories circulating about people consuming hand sanitizer because of its alcoholic content.
-----
The Tide commercial in which the daughter asks Mom where her green shirt is is by far and away one of the stupidest ads I've seen. Yeah, like Mom is going to wash and dry that shirt and get it back in her daughter's closet in a short amount of time so that her daughter can wear the shirt. It doesn't matter what detergent you are using, its going to take a couple of hours and by that time, I think the daughter will have found another shirt.
----
With Carla Beynon doing her last shift at CTV Regina before moving on to Calgary on Friday, I am once again using this blog to endorse either Morgan Reed or Lindsey Hoemsen as her replacement.
----
I am in a fantasy football league in which you were allowed three keepers from the year before. I had to have my keepers in before the draft so one of the players I chose was Vikings receiver Sidney Rice. In the draft, I needed a running back so I took Reggie Bush. Both Bush and Rice are out indefinitely as are my chances of winning. Somehow I am 1-1 in this league. Lets just say I am not making plans for a celebratory parade. Then again, I fell for the Joe Flacco hype so perhaps its a sign that I was destined to go nowhere.
-----
The Weather Network says the high on Sunday will be 26. I'll believe that when I see it.
-----
The excitement over last night's season premiere of "Glee" was somewhat nauseating. I really don't understand the fascination over the show. There is better TV than that tripe.
-----
The Twins are the first team to clinch a spot in the baseball playoffs. I have a soft spot for the Twinkies so seeing my Cubs aren't anywhere close to the playoffs, I will root for them. Perhaps the loudest venue I have ever been at was when I saw the Twins play the Cardinals in the 87 World Series at the Metrodome. Sitting three rows above the garbage bag in right field was certainly something I won't forget.
----
Ken Miller showed his tremendous sense of character on Tuesday. He laughed and joked about what happened Friday night and showed why he is the class act that he is. Now that everyone has questioned him on what happened Friday, can we now start to concentrate on Saturday's game against what will be a tough Hamilton team.
----
Would Eric Tillman consider Kavis Reed as a head coaching candidate in Edmonton. He thought very highly of Reed when he brought him to Regina and there were some whispers that he was head coaching material and might be considered after Miller was done. How about Dave Dickenson? CKRM and the WOLF's Michael Ball brought that name up during "The Touchdown Club" last Friday.
-----
Please do not disturb me, because I'm disturbed enough already. Thank you!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Jennifer Hedger could re-enact a certain scene from the Lofters with Kate Burness on Sportscenter one night. That would be top 10 material.

Kavis Reed as a head coach? Anywhere but here is fine with me.

perry

Anonymous said...

Agree with you about women in the dressing room. Regarding female Reporters the only one I will listen to for any substance is Cassie Campbell on HNIC. The remainder I tune out. To be fair I do that with a lot of the Metro Sexual Men that are on panels.

Regarding the Edmonton Eskimos I believe Eric Tillman is going to want to go big to make a statement. The guy I'm putting at the top of the list is Tom Clements former CFL great, and the current QB Coach with the Green Bay Packers. The Edmonton Eskimos Head Coaching job is a job that is highly recognized throughout football circles. That organization also has unlimited funds. Clements would be an excellent fit there.

The Eskimos are a mess. So if Tillman needs a short term gap to change the culture, and teach sound fundamentals then I can see Dave Richie going in there for at least a season.

Obama

Anonymous said...

I would put Orlesky ahead of any one of those bimbos that does the sidelines on NCAA games. They are just eye candy. Orlesky is a good looking woman and she also gets some great info.

Brent

Anonymous said...

Glee=projectile vomiting.

Anonymous said...

Never liked Jennifer Hedger and I never will.
I think there are some amazingly talent female sportscasters in this country that would have been a lot better than an "actress".

I was always a fan of Lisa Bowes.

I know Cassie Campbell is very popular and I'll admit she knows her stuff, but I don't like her style but I wouldn't put her at the same level as Hedger.