Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Somebody's Got Some "Splainin" To Do

Perhaps I should be flattered, but I'm not. In fact, I'm a little choked. No, I'm a lot choked. Why is that you may ask? I would like you to take a look at the story that I wrote for the Riders on riderville.com about Ken Miller's reaction to the overwhelming criticism he received for his decision to punt instead of kick the game winning field goal against the Stamps last Friday. Take a good read of this story.

http://www.riderville.com/article/standing-tall-in-the-line-of-fire

OK, now that you have done that. I would like you take a story written by "The Canadian Press". A story that appeared on both the CFL website and on TSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=334736

Is this not basically the same story? Don't get me wrong, its nice to have a national news service take my story off a team website, edit this, add that and publish it as their own, but while I get paid by the Riders to write stories for them, I do not get paid to do stories for the Canadian Press even though I obviously have. As I let CP know in an e-mail after seeing this, I will gladly do stories do them for well and to please send me what information is needed. I would like to know who actually wrote this story. Well, I guess I know the answer because I did, but I would like to know who actually penned this story to CP and shuffled it off as their own. That person is guilty of committing a huge violation when it comes to ethics in journalism as far as I'm concerned. I'm just wondering now if I will get an e-mail back from CP and if so, just what it will say. BRUTAL!!!
-----
Speaking of brutal, I finally saw the Jason Jimenez hit on Brent Johnson from Saturday's game in B.C between the Lions and Ti-Cats. What a cheap shot. Jimenez tried to end the career of Johnson much like he ended the career of a Calgary player a couple of years ago. Johnson should have gotten up and beaten the crap out of Jimenez. What a coward! I don't like Nik Lewis, but I would never hope a career-ending injury for him (unless it was his loss of tongue), but when it comes to Jimenez, I would hope somewhere someday that a defensive lineman does to him what he likes doing and he ends up rolling around on the turf clutching his knee knowing his football days are over.
-----
The LP's Craig Slater had an interesting tidbit in his baseball column in Wednesday's Leader-Post. He said the Seattle Mariners are hitting a major league low .234 this season. It makes you wonder how bad the Mariners would be if it weren't for Ichiro Suzuki and his 314 average. Here's another interesting tidbit that Slater missed, but I found courtesy USA Today. Reds first baseman Joey Votto has had over 500 at bats this year and unless he did it from Sunday on, not one of those 500 plus at bats have ended with an infield pop-up. That's unreal!
-----
Why isn't there a Taco Time in East Regina?
-----
What is the over/under on Pats wins this year? 27? If Carter Ashton doesn't come back, does that number go as low as 20? I don't think he is coming back----at least not for a while.
-----
There is no way Carey Price survives the season in Montreal. He gets booed in the first pre-season game. SACRE BLEU! The only person that might get more abuse in Canada than the starting goalie of the Habs when he isn't loved by the fan base is the starting quarterback of the Riders when he struggles.
-------
How bout the fact we can't see Jordan Eberle play any exhibition games because all the Oilers pre-season games are on Sportsnet One. Correction--TSN has the Oilers/Tampa game on tonight, but still. This is something that must be fixed and very soon. Sportsnet One has gone over as big as new Coke so far.
-----
The weather network was calling for 26 degrees on Sunday yesterday, but now the forecast high is 21. I'm thinking what--16 or 17 degrees on Sunday.
-----
Access 7 has another live SJ game tonight. It comes from Yorkton as the Terriers take on Kindersley. I'll be a part of that in some manner.
-----
Those who see their limits are those who stop stepping forward.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those two stories are virtually identical. If someone is trying to pass that off as their own, that's sad. I wonder how many times this has been done without someone noticing.


Kevin

Anonymous said...

Jimenez is a thug. He should have been kicked out of the league for that hit on the Calgary player. Johnson is very lucky. It looks like he saw him coming at the very last second. I don't know who it was on TV saying he should have stepped on his neck, but yeah he should have.

CD

Anonymous said...

In the Internet world, I wonder how many articles are plagiarized in some fashion. This looks pretty blatant to me. You've got a legitimate beef here.

Anonymous said...

As a reporter, have you not taken someone else's material, massaged it a little, given it your personal flavour and then submitted it. I think all reporters do. That certainly was done in this case, but the wording is different so I don't know if it can be considered "plagiarism". It is a pretty weak effort though to pass that off as your own. I'm guessing whoever wrote this felt only a hundred or so people will read it on Riderville, but many more will read it on whatever sites it ends up on.

greener2334 said...

Wonder no more, sir. Through the magic of the calculator, I was able to determine that without Ichiro's contribution the remaining Mariners' hitters are batting just.223.

I enjoy your blog.

Bill W.

Paul E said...

Mitchell, did you receive a response back from CP?