Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Have Fun Out There

Its the last Saturday before Christmas. One week from today we will be opening our presents, feasting on the beast and trying out all those new toys we have received. However, today its chaos. The malls will be packed, the parking spaces will be few and far between and the tempers will be short. Am I venturing out to any store today? NOT A FRICKIN CHANCE!!

It has been a personal goal of mine to not even venture out on the last Saturday before Christmas for the reasons mentioned above. Its been this way ever since I went to the West Edmonton Mall on the last Saturday before Christmas many. many years ago. I went along with the Peace River Stampeders senior hockey team to broadcast a pair of games against the provincial champs from Stony Plain. The games were Friday and Saturday at 9. Several members of the team (and wives that came along) wanted to go to West Ed to do some shopping so it was decided we would go at 11 and come back at 4 to get ready for the game. What a zoo! You couldn't move in the place. I was going to get some things at a Canadian Tire, but every checkout stand being used was about 10 deep. I said no and got things from the little stores where the lineups wouldn't have been as great. It was elbow to elbow traffic in there that day. From that day on, I said I am never hitting the mall again on the Saturday before Christmas. Besides, I have everything just about done and the only gift I have left to get can be bought in 5 minutes with a quick in and out.

Bottom line---while many of you are out looking for that final gift, I am safe and cozy at Casa De Blair looking for some football or something to keep me occupied on this Saturday afternoon.
------
The Green Bay Packers announced today Aaron Rodgers will not get the start against New England Sunday night due to a concussion sustained last week. It means Matt Flynn gets the start with former Rider Graham Harrell getting promoted off the practice roster to serve as backup. I get this sneaking suspicion that Harrell will get into the game somehow. With Rodgers being out, it means I am without my fantasy quarterback going into the playoffs. After finishing the regular season with just one loss (thanks to ARodge), I now must count on Ryan Fitzpatrick to come through for me against Miami. I have this awful feeling that my season is going up in smoke.
------
Get ready to hear a lot of Scruffy over the next little bit. Rod Pedersen has taken some holidays, so the Sportscage host will be yours truly for the rest of the calendar year. There will be shows Monday-Thursday this weekand Tuesday-Thursday the next. I think the old 96er will join me on the 23rd and I am looking for some guests for these shows so its not just two hours of me droning on and on. I know you guys will be out there so lets have some fun.
-----
The Pats newest players made a quick impact. Shayne Neigum, Tanner Olstad and Nils Moser accounted for four of Regina's six goals in a 6-3 win over visiting Prince Albert. The two teams play in Prince Albert tonight and if Regina wins, they are just two points behind the Raiders and the last playoff spot in the East. Can the Pats make the playoffs this year after trading away Carter Ashton and Thomas Frazee. You can never say never.
-----
I'm happy that Marcus Crandell is getting a chance to be an offensive co-ordinator in Edmonton. Selfishly, I wished he could have continued his coaching career in Saskatchewan, but I'm sure he will do a good job. Marcus is one of the good guys in this game and he deserves the opportunity.
-----
The popular choice to be Riders head coach is now Montreal O-C Scott Milanovich. Everyone (including me) is saying he could be inheriting a gold mine. If Milanovich isn't the guy, how much sadness will there be in the Rider Nation. Methinks the media has pumped up his tires just a little too much and that it will be very deflating if he isn't coach Ken Miller's replacement. That isn't and won't be fair to whoever gets the job as well.
------
Andy Fantuz is working out for the Vikings today. He posted a picture (a rather blurry one)of himself and a soon to be retiring NFL quarterback on his Twitter page today. Here it is...




Nothing against the old gunslinger, but if I were Andy, I'd rather be catching passes on a full time basis from one Darian Durant. 10 years ago, I wouldn't have said that, but I will today. Nonetheless, it has to be thrilling for Andy to rub shoulders with Brett. I wonder if Andy rubbed shoulders from Ben Roethlisberger when he was in Pittsburgh. Maybe we'll find out the next time Andy goes to a nightclub if he "learned" anything from Big Ben.
-----

Sometimes what you want isn't always what you get, but in the end what you get is so much better than what you wanted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd rather give the wife the credit card than go out into that wilderness today. No thanks!!

Anonymous said...

The Pats looked great last night. It only happens in spurts, but the new guys looked like they fit in and another one is on the way.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mitch, I remember that xmas trip to Stony Plain....good time with the hangover to match. Happy Holidays Buddy. Raff.