Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Miller Steps Down



I am shocked! I didn't think Ken Miller would step down as coach of the Riders. I thought he would take at least one more shot at winning what has become an elusive Grey Cup. I, and many others are wrong.
Miller says he has known for a while that this would be it and that family considerations play a huge part in the decision. He will remain as the team's director of football operations and oversee the search for his replacement.
In his three seasons as head coach, Miller led the team to a 32-21-1 regular season record and three straight home playoff games. Along with Eagle Keys, Miller is the only other coach in Rider modern history to lead his team to back to back Grey Cup appearances and has the third highest winning percentage in club history (having coached in at least 30 regular season games).

I have said on this blog before that I think Ken Miller is a good man. I think he was disrespected by many across the country and some in Saskatchewan because of his age. The man knows more about this game than many of you and myself. I have seen a lot of head coaches come and go during my time here, but none of them were like Miller. A huge hole has been created today as far as I'm concerned.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ken! You helped form the base of what has been a very entertaining football team to watch. You leave it in good shape!

Dan

Anonymous said...

Is health a reason for this move? I can't imagine its easy on his ticker doing what he does.

Anonymous said...

I'm OK with this move as long as Doug Berry isn't his replacement.

Sammy said...

Most under-rated coach ever by the media locally and nationally.

He has my respect.

Rej said...

A huge hole indeed! More than anyone else over the past few years, Coach Miller instilled a mentality of self-improvement by everyone -- starters, back-ups, coach's and more. This mentality and the ability to teach will be missed. the impact may not be immediate but I think as adversity hits we may see a team less capable of adapting than we've grown accustomed to.

Rej

Anonymous said...

Richie Hall?

Anonymous said...

How can Richie Hall even be mentioned?

Anonymous said...

Sad day indeed. I loved Coach Berry. My biggest fear now? Doug Berry!!!

Anonymous said...

You loved Coach Berry but you're scared of him now? Makes sense?

Anonymous said...

Correction: I loved Coach MILLER. Yes, I shudder at the thought of Doug Berry replacing him.

Steve-O said...

Rej,

Here's hoping the next HC of the Riders will have his team keep their foot on the oppositions throat when they're ahead, and empty the barrels when they're down.

Whoever it may be, they got a helluva lot of talent to start with, fersher!!