Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Makowsky's Political Aspirations

The rumours of Rider offensive lineman Gene Makowsky pursuing a political career had been out there. There had been talk that #60 was being wooed by the Saskatchewan Party to run a while ago. It became official on Wednesday as it was announced Geno will be the Saskparty's candidate in Regina Dewdney for the next provincial election.

The decision immediately had some saying Makowsky knows nothing about politics and that the Saskparty is just trying to capitalize on his name. Others came out and said Makowsky will have no problem winning just like Chris Szarka did in the last civic election because he plays for the Riders. Others (including myself) simply wished him good luck. I have no problem if Makowsky wants to enter the field of politics as something to do once his football career is over. The question is "Is his career over?". I talked to Makowsky for a Riderville story and he has indicated he would like to come back if the football team wants him. He is a free agent, but he has no desire to suit up for another team. It is said he wants to break Roger Aldag's record for most games played which is something he will do next season.

I would think being an MLA would be tougher than being a councillor (Szarka), but from all accounts Chris has been able to be a Rider and a city councillor and I think Makowsky can handle both as well if he does play another year. He's not going in to embarrass himself. If he didn't think he could do it, he wouldn't. I don't think Premier Wall is ready to turn Geno into his education or health minister anytime soon, but I do think "The Grand Poobah" does have some personal interest in this decision. After all, the Premier needs someone to tell him who to take if he does "Premiers Picks" on CJME again in 2011. From what I understand, Brad's record paled in comparison to those making their picks on CKRM again this year. In fact, I may be mistaken, but I believe CKRM newsman extraordinaire Roger Currie won the friendly competition for the 2nd year in a row with Carm Carteri right behind him. If there was a change in government, I think "Premiers picks" would come to an end because I just can't see Dwain Lingenfelter taking part in such a venture. (No offence!)

To those who say they will vote for Makowsky just because of his name, that is not right. It doesn't matter who the candidate is, you must look at the platform and decide if the representative that you vote for will do what you want. If Makowsky were to fail (and I'm not suggesting he would), would the voters that put him in be guilty of not paying attention to the campaign and being swayed by the celebrity. If that happens, the only people to blame are the people that didn't pay attention. That being said, the Saskparty train doesn't seem to be slowing down and Makowsky's presence in a riding that has been NDP for a while may result in a change.
-----
My brother in law can be a jackass sometimes---especially when it comes to the Montreal Canadiens. Yes, he's one of those types and yes, he was purely sickening during last year's Stanley Cup playoffs. I believe it was Monday when he sent me a text saying Oilers vs Habs on Wednesday---that could be embarassing for Edmonton. I ignored it until Dustin Penner scored in overtime to give Edmonton a 4-3 overtime win in Montreal coming back from a 3-1 deficit. As I told him, I was embarassed. Embarassed over the fact that Edmonton couldn't beat Montreal in regulation and actually had to give them a point.
-----
Can someone please explain to me how Andy Fantuz isn't named a CFL Players Association all-star? As my good friend Tom Pura in Grande Prairie, AB told me, perhaps Andy didn't pay his union dues. It really doesn't make a lot of sense.
-----
Have you started your Christmas shopping yet. Sadly, I have only scratched the surface. That's a chore for next week. Can I get it done in one afternoon?
-----
I don't care how good he is, Peyton Manning can not go 29 of 29 for 335 yards and four touchdowns when playing against the Colts in Madden 11.
-----
What the hell has happened to the Humboldt Broncos? They were lights out in September and October winning 13 of 16, but since then they have plummeted back to earth. They were beaten 7-0 in Flin Flon Wednesday night leaving them with a record of 17-11-0-1. It makes one wonder just what Dean Brockman's game plan again seeing this team is hosting the RBC next year. They have some talented 20 year olds that they could throw someone's way this year to get some good players for next. Those talented 20 year olds could also take the team to a league title and a trip to Camrose for this year's RBC as well.
-----
Lebron James is back in Cleveland tonight. I may have to watch that. It may make the Chris Pronger return to Edmonton seem tame. While James returns to Cleveland, Danny Heatley returns to Ottawa as well when the Sharks visit. Should be a great night to watch a little TV. Make no doubt about it, it will be ugly in Cleveland. James ripped out that city's heart when he left for Miami. I'm thinking extra security will be on hand and the "sign" police may be put into action.
-----
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

---

3 comments:

Jordan said...

What's wrong with voting for Makowsky by virtue of his name alone? His job performance is already evaluated (whether it be positive or negative) on a weekly perfomance by the public 6 months out of the year. He's proven to be a leader in his current place of employment. And, he helps out with community organizaions, wishing his co-workers would do the same.

Not many MLAs can say that before they get elected...

Anonymous said...

Jordan:

If Geno ( or any other celebrity that runs for office) doesn't have a solid platform to stand on, do you still vote for that person? That's not right. You vote for the person that you will think will represent your interests the best. I'm a Saskparty supporter and I will vote for the Saskparty in the next provincial elxn, but I would not vote for Makowsky if he was running for the NDP or Liberals just because he is a Rider. It sounds like you would.

Chris

Anonymous said...

I hope Makowsky does a better job than Szarka if he wins the seat. I haven't been impressed with the efforts of #33