Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy Canada Day!


OK Rider Nation, how are you going to celebrate our fine country's birthday. Are you wearing something with the Maple Leaf on it or something with the /=S=/ on it. Do I really have to ask that question?
ITS GAMEDAY!
The Alouettes and the Riders are ready to kick it off in a game that many of us have been waiting for since that November evening in Calgary last year. I don't know about you, but I think we are in for a ring-a-ding dong dandy tonight and I also think that the first game of the season will have the same two teams that play in the last game of the season. I think we are in for a high scoring tilt tonight and it wouldn't surprise me to see both teams hit the 30 point mark. Kickoff is 5 PM and it will be on TSN. Not only will it be on TSN, but it will also be on the NFL Network. I don't know about you, but I think that is a major coup for the CFL. Having CFL games on that network should only enhance our product and show many down south how good a game ours is. If you don't know, the games won't be shown on the NFL network in Canada because of TSN's rights and if you are in the U-S, you will see the TSN broadcast.
One other game tonight has Toronto in Calgary. How bad does Calgary win this one by?
----
Did you see this from TSN's CFL preview last night.

http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip320439#clip320439

That's still tough to watch, but I love what Darian Durant says at the end.

Its also a very big day in the NHL as its free agency day. A lot of rumours are out there already. Those rumours will be put to bed with guys like Kovalchuk, Nabokov, Turco and others likely by the time kickoff hits this afternoon.
----
The dismantling of the Stanley Cup champs continues. Kris Versteeg is now a Maple Leaf. That's actually a very good trade for Toronto. I think they are slowly establishing themselves to be a playoff team. Do you think Chicago even has a chance at repeating with the way they are being torn apart from the bottom up. They still have their core guys, but the grit and grind guys you need to be successful are disappearing. I don't think its over yet either.
------
Very few people care about NHL free agency in the US, but they are watching Lebron James to see where he goes. NBA free agency is also underway and the soon to be ex-Cleveland Cavalier is the big fish. He's the best player in the game today(sorry Kobe fans)and whoever gets him will be an instant championship contender. Once he goes, it won't be long for Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh to find new homes either.
-----
Went to the movie 'Grown-Ups" with Adam Sandler last night. I left let down when it was over. I was hoping this would be something like Happy Gilmore or The Waterboy, but it was Adam Sandler being Mr. Family Guy (and I'm not talking Peter Griffin). There is a Saskatchewan shout-out in the show though and there's a cameo by the great Dan Patrick so it wasn't all bad. Who plays Rob Schneider's daughter in the show. YIKES!!
Speaking of the movies, there has to be a more proficient way of getting people through the snack counter. A 20 minute wait? Ridiculous!
------
It takes 15 officers to perform a routine stop check in Regina? OK!
----
I guess with the CFL season getting ready to start, I should give you my predictions.
In the West, I really can't see how the Riders don't win the West. They have the best team on paper. I know you don't play games on paper, but they do have the best team. That being said, with the exception of Jock Climie, the TSN guys aren't taking the Riders. Chris Schultz is taking BC while Randorf and Dunigan are going with Edmonton. Have the Stampeders been written off? When I look at things this year, I don't see the standings changing much from last. That is Riders, Stamps, Edmonton and B-C in the West with the East going Montreal, Hamilton, Winnipeg and Toronto. The only difference is there will be no crossover this year. The Riders will defeat the Alouettes at Commonwealth and the organization can put last year's nightmare behind them.
-----
The Blue Jays have lost three in a row to Cleveland. The fall has started!
----
Another win for the Red Sox. They beat Moose Jaw 8-6 in what sounded like a thriller.
----
This blog had its best month since I started it in February of 09. I had over 21-thousand visits in June. Thank you!
----
Whether you are on the couch, in the park or at Mosaic today, have an outstanding one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Calgary's o-line woes will kill them. I have them last in the West with Edmonton finishing 2nd and BC finishing 3rd. I'm also buying into the Hamilton hype.