Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Vanstone Out Does Himself

Reading Rob Vanstone's columns in the Leader-Post are usually informative and entertaining. His Sunday Sun columns usually leave me chuckling. His column today though is one he should frame. I don't know how long he has been working on his "Breakfast of Finalists" commentary, but his brilliance shines through in this one.
Many times I have had to lean on Rob's encyclopedia-like knowledge of the Riders to get an answer on a question. One night when doing the sports show on CJME, I referred to the endless list of "great" Rider quarterbacks that had started a game saying I know I have forgotten many, Within moments, an e-mail popped up from Rob who had been listening with "the list".

I was thinking of doing a how the CFL could use Fantuz Flakes and go a step further by starting a line of Henry Burris eye drops because of his whining or a Wally Buono GPS since he always becomes lost and wanders on the field, or Adriano Belli lipstick because of his penchant for giving people a big smooch. However, Rob has taken that and gone one step further with today's column.

Check it out here
----
Some good baseball is in Regina over the next few days as the Canadian Big League Championships are going on over at Optimist Park. 6 regional teams consisting of 17 and 18 year olds are looking to represent Canada at the Big League championships in Easley, South Carolina. Many, many years ago the prairie championships for this event was in Peace River, Alberta which is where I was working. A Regina team was involved and while doing a report, I took a good natured poke at Regina seeing it is the place I call home. Some woman who was from here did not take kindly to this remark. She found me at the ball diamond and decided to take a strip out of me saying I needed to visit Regina and Saskatchewan and blah, blah, blah. It was then that the scorekeeper looked at this woman and said "Lady, he is from Regina and there might be no bigger Rider fan than this guy". She turned about eight shades of red and walked away. She would not look at me for the rest of the week. Her husband came up to me near the end of the tournament just laughing saying she was so embarassed.
----
The Red Sox were beaten in Melville last night as the Millionaires keep the heat on the first place Regina squad. Melville is a game and a half back in the East. Saskatoon is at Currie Field tonight in a 705 start. Weather permitting!
-----
Ilya Kovalchuk gets 17 years for 102 million. Puh-leeze! The Devils will find out what a waste of money that is in about two years.
-----
I like what Steve Yzerman is doing with the Tampa Bay Lightning. This team will make the playoffs next year.
-----
The Yunel Escobar trade is paying early dividends for the Blue Jays. I'm starting to think they might be a team to contend with next year.
----
Have a good Tuesday!

2 comments:

rickyg said...

The Gonzalez-Escobar trade might turn out to be one that is good for both teams. Escobar was a head case with the Braves and needed a new home. Gonzalez is hitting much better than Escobar and the Braves needed a little more power to go with their pitching. The Braves will be a serious contender THIS YEAR and the Jays might be OK next year.

Anonymous said...

Wally Buono GPS. I like that!