Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

What Did We Learn Tonight CFL Fans?

The Montreal Alouettes returned home Thursday night. After three straight road games in Western Canada, the Als came back for their home opener as they took on Hamilton. Going in some were wondering if Montreal was showing signs of perhaps slowing down after losing in Regina and then being fortunate to take wins out of Edmonton and Vancouver. Many were also wondering if the Ti-Cats were ready to challenge the Alouettes and end the dominance Montreal has had for the past many years. Many were taking the Ti-Cats to win this one. So much for that!
The Alouettes showed why they are the team they are while Hamilton showed they have a long ways to go before they can seriously consider themselves a contender as they were throttled 37-14. Like the Rider offence against Montreal, they started slow, but once they got it going they were unstoppable.
----
Speaking of the Riders, only in Saskatchewan. The topic of who the punter will be was the big debate today. Newly acquired Eddie Johnson will punt instead of the struggling Louie Sakoda on Saturday. This really reminds me of the Andy Fantuz situation a few years ago when Kent Austin benched Fantuz for a game because of his dropsies. I think Sakoda will get back on the roster and when he does, he won't be coming off unless he is hurt.
----
Disappointing first round for Graham DeLaet at the Canadian Open. At one point early he was three under, but he had some difficulties at the end and ended up with an even par 70. Mike Weir struggled yet again and shot a 72. Some are finally starting to say what I said a long time ago---that being his shine is starting to become quite dull.
----
Can someone please tell me what is going through the mind of a driver when he sees a huge lake in an underpass or something and tries to get through? Seriously?! I just laugh when I see pictures like the one I saw today of the guy stuck at the Victoria Avenue underpass with water up to his hood. What are you thinking when you see this? Does the macho just take over or what?
-----
I love listening to ESPN Radio and FOX Sports radio on my XM, but I'm getting tired of Colin Cowherd and Dan Patrick and Scott Van Pelt talking about the NBA. When do NFL camps get started? Then again, my radio will likely be on the NFL channel so I won't care what the other guys are saying.
----
If you have the number one pick in an NFL fantasy football draft, are you taking Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson or Drew Brees.
-----
I was at Jersey City in the Northgate today when I saw an Oilers t-shirt---one of those that has the logo on the front and the players name on the back. I was shocked when I saw the name and number on the back was "Eberle 14". Alas, the shirt was a medium.
----
My six year old daughter is going to her first Rider game on July 31. She has a Rider t-shirt, but does she need a jersey before that game? I really don't know how she is going to respond to a Rider game with 30-thousand yelling around her. If she likes it, adopted grandma and grandpa may have to try again and take her to the Family Fun day on Labour Day weekend. They tried that last year only to find out as it was time to go that she didn't want to attend as Saturday morning cartoons were more important.
-----
That is all for now. Have a great Friday!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you take Drew Brees first overall you shouldn't be playing fantasy football.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more on the idiots that try to drive through lakes. The thing is that every storm it seemingly happens here. Whatever! Their problem, their embarassment, not mine!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mitch,

I don't think she needs a jersey. That T-shirt is fine or you can go to the riders store and get something else that costs a lot less than $50 for a jersey that she'll only wear for a year or 2 MAYBE.

My daughter's first Riders game was in 2006 when she was 5. When we got there she asked "What team are we playing Daddy ?" I said "The Lions" She says "just like my soccer team and look daddy they are the same colour as my soccer team."
I couldn't win.
She's going to have a great time as long as she isn't sitting in section 28 where the "fans" stand the whole frickin game.


Russ from Saskatoon

Mitchell Blair said...

Thanks Russ. I will take that into consideration!

Anonymous said...

I think a Seahawk jersey would be money better spent.


Gord

Anonymous said...

six years old, what the hell has been your excuse the last 5.5 years??lol

Woman have babies on the teet in the stands, I'm not kiddin' I've seen it.

My 3yr old boy has been to 3 games. Get crackalackin'!!!