Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

More Tea Please

I don't know when the last time was that I had tea. I drink coffee in the morning, but I can't remember the last time I sipped some tea. If you've read the blog this week, you know I've been doing play by play at the Esso Cup for fasthockey.com along with doing media relations. Doing two games a day has taken a toll on the old voicebox and it was very scratchy this morning. I am doing just about anything and everything to keep the vocal cords in as good a shape as possible.
It was suggested to me pineapple juice was a good remedy because it has some kind of anti-inflammatory chemical in it. There was no pineapple juice to be found at the CoOperators Centre. It was then suggested that I take some of the altoids I had and drop them into some honey lemon tea. I should then let that tea cool down a little and then sip it slowly. OK! With a Tim Hortons at the CoC, I had no problem getting the tea----4 times. I feel like an old woman getting ready to go play bridge or something. Did someone forget the cookies? Bottom line is the vocal cords are still stressed, but they are much better so it must have worked. Am I 100 percent? No! Do I want to be back at 100 percent before doing Friday's semi-final involving the host Regina Rebels on Access? Yes! A warning now folks----it might sound like Russ Howard at the end of the week at the Brier.
By the way, Michael Ball and Julie Folk have been doing a great job with the call of the Rebels game each night on Access. They've been doing the nightcap while I've been doing the first two games of the day for fasthockey. Hockey Canada officials are getting a lot of positive comments from across the country for the work that's being done so that is good. I knew Pete Paczko and Kelly Remple would be their brilliant selves, but I've really been helped by a young lady named Kelcie Graham. She played for the Cougar womens hockey team and was recommended to me by coach Sarah Howald. I had never met Kelcie before Monday and I'm sure she was nervous, but she has been outstanding all week in breaking the womens game down. I'll do my last broadcast with her tomorrow and that's too bad because she has been getting better and better with each game.
---
The last day of the round-robin will go at the Esso Cup today and organizers couldn't be happier. All games will mean everything including the host Rebels against Richelieu, Quebec. Regina needs a win to secure a spot in the semis while a win by the Quebec reps could get them in. It makes for a great day of hockey, it makes for an early day of hockey as the first game goes at 930 with Edmonton playing Moncton. The winner will go to the semi's. The loser can enjoy tomorrow's banquet and then make plans for home.
-----
Where did all the Montreal fans go? The Habs are done after getting blasted in back to back home games. That series should end in Washington on Friday. Boston beats Buffalo in double overtime. Methinks the Sabres are done as Tuukka Rask is simply outperforming Ryan Miller and Vancouver and L-A head back to "The Coov" tied at 2 after the Canucks won 6-4 in a game that for a while looked like it was going to end with the Kings one game away from an upset. I think this one is going to go 7.
-----
How many "too many men" penalties have we seen in these playoffs? An abnormal amount I would say.
----
San Jose has beaten Colorado twice yet Heatley, Thornton and Marleau have not scored yet. If the Sharks can win without these guys, peddle the latter two off in the off-season. I guess they don't have to worry about Marleau since he's a UFA. I really get the feeling the Oilers are going to send an offer his way. Oh well, he'll be good for 82 games. Could Marleau be Jordan Eberle's centerman next year?
-----
Who is Montreal's starting goalie going to be next year? I'm starting to wonder if both guys will hit the road or be told to at the end of the year.
----
My playoff draft sucks! Correction, my playoff draft SUCKS!
-----
Devoted blog reader Rob Swallow has got an outstanding playoff beard going as he cheers on his Bruins. I don't care if Boston wins or loses, Robbie boy, you must keep that shag on your chin. You're looking mean, son, mean!
----
Kevin Prendergast has been fired as the Oilers assistant GM. He brought such gems like Michel Reisen and Jani Rita to Edmonton as first round picks. SIGGHHHH!!! This will ensure that the Oilers will take Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin with the number one pick and that the pick won't be someone like Tomas Hricina!
Is Tim Tebow going to get taken in the 1st round of the NFL draft? I hope not! Oh wait, maybe he'll be a Raider. Just imagine that for a few moments. As for the Seahawks, if they don't take one of the massive o-lineman up for grabs at 6, I will be disgusted.
---
The Cubs have moved Carlos Zambrano to the bullpen. SIGGHHHH!!!
----
Did anyone go see Billy Gunn and the Road Dogg at the Performing Arts Centre last night?
----
Why hasn't Rob Vanstone come down to the CoOperators Centre to visit with Kelly Remple and myself? There has to be a column at the Esso Cup somewhere.
-----
Who has provided the better playoff coverage? TSN or CBC. Its been close as far as I'm concerned, but I might have to give the nod to TSN.
-----
When Don Cherry finally retires, will Mike Milbury take Grapes' spot? He's got my vote!
-----
Why isn't John Foley in the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame? If you don't know who John Foley or J-R Foley is, you are simply too educated to be reading this blog---especially if you are from Western Canada!
-----
Now that you've wasted two minutes of your life that you aren't getting back, get out there and do what you do best!

3 comments:

Tyler said...

Sorry to hear your voice is ailing.

Get some Jell-O. I'm not sure if it will help your voice, but everyone loves Jell-O

mongo said...

try room temperature coca cola for that voice scruffy...as well as zinc tablets...got me thru the canadian mixed in weyburn years back...

looking forward to your take on graham harrell getting released today!!!

mongo (still a habs fan :-)

Anonymous said...

Milbury has really grown into the role, and he doesn't pull punches. Whether I agree with his opinion doesn't matter because he articulates it well. He can also go to the teleprompter with Hrudey and actually break it down to provide analysis.

When Don Cherry in 2010 is telling people on a broadcast that Terry Sawchuk is the greatest goalie he's ever seen, and again brings up what Gerry Cheevers did in a game....yeah it's time to pack it in. I don't even watch him anymore. I maybe caught 5 segments of him this winter. Milbury and Hrudey are now the faces of that program, and they do a great job.

Obama