Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Would 1 vs 16 Be Better?

It was a discussion I heard on XM Radio's NHL channel "Home Ice" Monday. Should the NHL get out of the 1 vs 8 conference matchups and take the 16 best teams in the league and go 1 vs 16 in the first round and so on.
If you are a Flames fan and you think that's a ridiculous idea, guess what. Your team would be in. If you are a Flyers or a Habs fan and think the idea has some merit, your team would be out. Here is what the 1st round matchups would look like if 1-16 was the format.

Washington vs Calgary
San Jose vs St. Louis
Chicago vs Boston ( I would love that old original six matchup)
Phoenix vs Ottawa
Vancouver vs Colorado
New Jersey vs Buffalo
Detroit vs Nashville
Pittsburgh vs LA

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but then it would just ask the question--"Why do we have an Eastern and Western Conference?" Yes, we would see matchups that we might never see like Washington-Calgary and Chicago-Boston but that might throw some cold water on existing conference and division rivalries. While I wouldn't have a problem with this, I say leave it the way it is now.
-----
Forgive me if I don't get excited about Buck Pierce landing in Winnipeg. Pierce is a good QB and when he is on, he is on. However, who's kidding who, the guy is one shot away from being a human bobblehead. The years have taken its toll on Pierce.
----
So let me get this right, the Jays have lost twice this year and Jason Frasor has two blown saves. I think I might know what the problem is Cito! Time to make Kevin Gregg the closer. Its not much of an upgrade, (trust me on that one, he was a Cub last year)but he is getting the job done and the other guy----well, the numbers suggest he isn't.
----
Opening day at Wrigley Field. It is one thing I would love to attend in person before my days are over. Its on my bucket list. I have never been to Wrigley to watch the Cubs play. In fact, the only time I've seen them live was in Toronto a couple of years ago. I have heard so many stories about the park that I think I can spend all day there. OK, let me correct myself, I know I would spend all day inside and outside the hallowed grounds of the baseball cathedral. I was thinking about this the other day while watching the Masters. Where is the one place you would love to watch a sporting event? Its Wrigley for me! What about you?
-----
Brandon moves on to the WHL East final after disposing of the Blades. It will likely be a Calgary-Brandon final. The Hitmen have gotten their game back together after struggling in the opening series against Moose Jaw. I will still take Calgary, because I'm not sold on Brandon's goaltending.
----
Not a good start for Canada at the World Under 18's. Canada was beaten 3-1 by Switzerland in the opening game. I'm telling you, the Swiss are getting better and better each year. It won't surprise me if they are a medallist very soon at the World Juniors. They came close this past year. Quinton Howden of the Warriors had the only Canadian goal today.
-----
------
The NHL draft lottery is tonight. This better be something Edmonton wins, although if they don't, it just means they pick number 2. I don't like that. Like someone said on the blog the other day, conduct this draft like the NBA one meaning any team that didn't make the playoffs has a chance at number 1. There would be a weighted system in place, but a team like the Rangers should have a small chance at landing the number one pick while Edmonton should have the greatest chance albeit not as great as they have it now.
-----
The Hoff on RAW last nite. LOVED IT!
-----
I haven't watched this week's 24 yet, but I heard something I didn't like when it comes to Renee Walker. It can't be, can it!
-----
Glee is back tonight. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand the allure of that show.
Gotta run, have a good day!

9 comments:

Kelly Markwart said...

Great Division rivalries!! As much as I love the Caps, they played the Hurricanes and Panthers 6 times each, and Penguins 4. Last season they played Carolina EIGHT times. No wonder their in first place.

I'd like to see the top 16 teams get in, but you'd have to play a balanced schedule with all the teams.

Anonymous said...

Mitch.

I would love to see the Bruins nab the #1 spot, if for no other reason than to put the screws (AGAIN) to the leaf faithful for that (now it seems) awful trade for phil kessel. and if the leafs have a bad season next year, we might see the bruins have another high pick again.

I won't be disappointed to see the oil win the lottery. I'll only be disappointed if the bruins fall to #3.

Hope all is well in Blair-ville.


Russ from Saskatoon

Anonymous said...

Kelly is right. If you come up with a balanced sked, I say 1 vs 16. If you can't, you can't do it. I am one that would like to see the CFL become one eight team loop because for the most part it is a balanced sked. Thats another argument for another day though.

peter dalla riva

Anonymous said...

Dream Venue:
On my yacht, strategically moored in the Monte Carlo Harbour near the swimming pool chicane for the Monaco Grand Prix.

Not to be a 24 spoiler, but re: Renee Walker BOOOOO...

C'mon Mitch, admit it, you're a closet GLEEk, aren't you?

KC

Anonymous said...

I hear you on Buck Pierce. I think Jyles starts with Pierce being the back-up. LaPo knows what he'll get from Jyles while Pierce is a big question mark. I think your buddy Scott Nicholls said yesterday "One hit on him could put him on Veggie Tales." I don't disagree.

Brent

Anonymous said...

Wembley Stadium for an FA Cup final or England international.



JN

Anonymous said...

Any Super Bowl. I have been to 5 GC's and I want to compare the electricity and the atmosphere. I've been to several NFL games and I think it is more electric than CFL games, but the SB is more of a corporate crowd so I want to see what its like.


Trevor

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see a college basketball game at Duke against a rival.

or sit at the 16th hole at Augusta on Sunday.

or the 17th at TPC Sawgrass at the players championship

or the Daytona 500.

the riders playing in the grey cup in a 36,000 seat dome.

Anonymous said...

I've been to a couple of NASCAR events, but never Daytona. That would be cool. The one place I wanted to always see a game, but never did was the old Chicago Stadium. My dad says being in there gave one goosebumps.


Mark