Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

The Whitney Forum

Back at Casa De Blair after a couple of 18 hour days. I started yesterday leaving Flin Flon at 6 AM and returned just before 1 AM--yes I was exhausted. One of the highlights of the three day jaunt to La Ronge, Flin Flon and Humboldt was a trip to the historic Whitney Forum. A building that truly was built before its time. What a fantastic rink to watch a hockey game in. When you mention the word "Flin Flon", the word "Bombers" is usually the first thing that people respond with.


The town and the team are synonomous with one another. Here are some pix of the rink.



This is pretty much self-explanatory. It is a wall of pictures of players that have gone on to the bigs after playing for the Bombers. I don't remember all the names on there, but I remember many.

It shouldn't be hard remembering this guy....perhaps the greatest Bomber of all....



Yes, his number has been retired. I thought he wore 16 in Flin Flon though--not 11.



While it wasn't "zoo-like" Wednesday night, I hear it can be. In fact, I am told they through moose legs onto the ice some nights when the Bombers score. Moose Legs??? Those suckers must be big. I love this sign. I think they should put it up in the Victoria Club on High Impact Wrestling nights...


-----
I don't know how many of you that read this have ever been there for a game, but I'm guessing not many. It is a building that just smells of history. It truly is one of the best buildings I have ever been in big or small. I'm glad I had a chance to see it. If you have been there, you know what I'm talking about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember going to Flin Flon to play as a Midget playdowns. We beat Flin Flon 4-2 in our rink and were going to the Flon for the second of a two game total goals series.

We pulled into the parking lot, look to the right and two teenage girls are just throwing bombs at each other. Hair is flying, bloody noses, we looked at each other and thought geezus if the chicks fight like that, what are we in for here.

We got up early 2 or 3 zip and thought the series was wrapped up...then the line brawls started. Our top two lines were either kicked out or in the box, they came back with a fury and we ended up losing 6-3 to lose the series.

The bus had been egged and spray painted while we played and there were cops waiting in the parking lot while we boarded the bus. What a gong show.

Manitoba Mike