Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

In The Mix

Amber Holland goes into Tuesday play at the Scotties tied for first place. The Team Canada rink is 4-1 as is Kelly Scott of BC after beating Jennifer Jones in a rematch of last year's final. It was a weird game as Holland's 2nd---Tammy Schneider had to be replaced after suffering a lower-body injury while the big end was a Holland steal of 2 when Jones' 2nd--Jill Officer wiped out burning a rock that likely would have resulted in Jones picking up one. By the way, was I the only one who noticed the less than friendly handshake that Jones gave Holland when it was over. I think someone (Jennifer) was pouty when that was one was done.

While Holland is tied for first, Michelle Englot's Saskatchewan rink is in a group right behind at 3-2. Englot rebounded from a tough loss to Prince Edward Island by throttling Ontario in the evening draw.
-----
With Rod Pedersen in Mexico, I will be doing the Sportscage this week. We will remember the life of Cal Murphy on today's show and I hope to get the latest from Red Deer. With the draw starting at 230, it may be tough to get someone on as there is a quick turnaround time and the three Regina reporters that are there--Murray McCormick, Lee Jones and Derek Meyers are busy trying to get their stuff filed.
-----
My condolences go out to the friends and family of Leader-Post columnist Ron Petrie. News of his death surprised me as I did not know he had been battling cancer for a year. As I have said many times before, I really hope that someday we find a cure for such a terrible disease that has taken away so many good people wayyyy too early. I was always amused by his columns.
-----

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it wasn't for Amber, I don't know where TC would be. Kim has really struggled this week and Amber has had to bail them out several times. Her call in 10 to go for the double instead of drawing for one and going to the extra end made me scratch my head but I guess if the shot is there, go for it.

Beating Jones is always sweet though.

Anonymous said...

Michelle has more wins at the Scotties than what this no-name guy will get in Saskatoon. Count on it.