Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

2010 Hockey Jerseys Unveiled

I'm sure you all know that Hockey Canada can't use the jerseys it normally would for the Vancouver Olympics. While nothing formal has been done by Hockey Canada, this will be the way our mens and womens teams will look when its time to hit the ice.

I'm OK with them. Thanks to blog reader Kim for the heads-up on where to find this.
-----
Those that used to love the sport of baseball most likely remember yesterday. It was August 12, 1994 when the game they loved changed forever. It was on that date that the rest of the 1994 season was cancelled because of a walkout that didn't end until opening day 1995. It meant for the first time in professional sports, the championship would not be awarded because of labour strife.
What made it tough for many I know is 1994 was the year the Montreal Expos had a great chance at winning the World Series. At the time of the strike, it seemed as if the Expos were guaranteed a playoff spot as they led Atlanta by 6 games in the National League East and had the best record in baseball at 74-40. One will never know if the Expos could have won the World Series. One can never know if that strike meant the eventual end of Montreal's professional baseball team. I believe it had a huge role.
In fact, I don't think baseball has been the same since that fateful night back in 1994. It took a long time for fans to come back to the park and the only way they did was because of the Mark McGwire-Sammy Sosa home run chase in 1998. We now know what tarnished that chase several years later. Would steroids have been a major part of the game had there not been a strike. Again, that's a question that can't be answered.
What is interesting is that while many did not forgive baseball for what happened, no one seemingly had a problem years later when the Stanley Cup wasn't presented because of the lockout. Canadians embraced the beginning of hockey when it started again. Why didn't Canadians do with their sport what Americans did with theirs.
-----
The PGA championship begins today. They will contest golf's final major of the year on the 7,674 yard Hazeltine layout in Minnesota. Methinks the 4 Par 5's will tell the story here. They are No. 3, 633 yards; No. 7, 572 yards; No. 11, 606 yards; and No. 15, 642 yards. I don't even think Tiger can get to these Par 5's in 2. Because of that watch for players like Zach Johnson and yes, Mike Weir to maybe contend. Did I actually say Mike Weir...OK! While Tiger has to be the overwhelming favourite, I don't think he is the one holding the trophy Sunday afternoon. I think one of the top 10 players in the world will be the winner, but I don't think it will be Tiger.
-----

6 comments:

mongo said...

to answer your question about the hockey lockout mitch...in a word...GREED!!!

Kim K said...

Your welcome Mitch :-)

Anonymous said...

Mitch,
94 was the year that baeball essentially lost me. I was (am) a lifelong Expos fan (as a 12 year old I saw my first and only MLB game at Jarry Park in 1974 - freezing cold double header with the Cubs)and MLB made is perfectly clear to me that year that the fan was way below the beer vendor as to who they found important.
After a stike that accomplished little the Expos still could not compete and it was the beginning of the end.

Anonymous said...

What's sad about the Expos is that the same thing is going to happen to the Blue Jays. Its only a matter of time.


LD

Anonymous said...

The Expos would have won the World Series that year. I will go to my grave saying that. That event crushed me as I had been rooting for the Expos since I could first remember the game.

Gary

mongo said...

i don't even like to talk about the expos...although i do hope the washington nationals never win another game...and the florida marlins sink into the atlantic ocean...but i'm not bitter...really i'm not...or so my therapist says lol...