Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Durant Talks About His Development

When you are the starting quarterback of the Riders, you are prone to criticism. That is happening with Darian Durant this year. Many fans don't mind the job he has done this season, but others already believe the team can't win with him at the helm. Durant had some things to say about his development and the criticism after practice today.

REPORTER: Are you where you want to be right now?

DURANT: I'm getting there. No one said it was going to be easy and I know its a long road. I just want to get better everyday. I see myself getting better. I see our offence building chemistry and that's key. For some teams, it takes years to build that chemistry. I see it coming along good for us and hopefully we continue to get better as a unit.

REPORTER: Has what's happened this year been difficult for you?

DURANT: This isn't the easiest place to be a quarterback in, but I've been raised to be strong-minded. You can only do what you can control and that's what I try and do. Whatever decisions coach Miller makes is something I will live with. Steven has to play at some time and the reps can only help him. Its been tough, but at the same time I'm just doing what I can to get better.

REPORTER: You lead the league in TD passes, so do you think you deserve a better shake?

DURANT: You would think so, but that's how it goes. The fans here are very passionate and they want to win every game. I understand that. I would also like to see some leniency out there because I'm a 26 year old quarterback. If I'm 36 and I'm making mistakes, you can boo me or do whatever. Just give me time to learn and get better and if you don't see that, then make a decision.

REPORTER: Do you feel there is a lack of respect for you here or not?

DURANT: I don't know what people are thinking, but I just hope they would look at the situation and see that I am 26 and I've never been a starter before. There are going to be growing pains and there are going to be mistakes. If I continue to make those mistakes years down the road, then I understand the criticism. Its a growing process, its a learning process. You ask any veteran in this league who is a successful quarterback and they will tell you it took time. Henry Burris has one Grey Cup on his resume and he's over 30.


This just revisits a question I've always had when it comes to the expectations that Rider fans have of their quarterback. I think those expectations are a little lofty because they want 400 yard, 5 TD games on a consistent basis. That just won't happen. I know there are many out there that don't like Durant, but this is the approach that has to be taken. I can understand his frustration and I think he can understand the fans frustration. There has to be a middle ground somewhere doesn't there?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those that are anti-Durant have to realize that he will have his good days and his bad days. Look at any QB in this league and ask if he had immediate success when becoming the starter. Ray struggled, Calvillo struggled and Burris struggled. People here wanted to run him out of town after one Labour day loss, yet those same people cried when he left town.

I applaud him for these statements. He wasn't rude or condescending, he was just truthful. Hopefully some fans will cut him some more slack.....not Reggie Slack though!!

Anonymous said...

Durant might be a lot better QB if LaPo would call a better game. I think we have the talent on the field, but our coaching staff leaves a lot to be desired.


MT

Anonymous said...

Nice piece, Mitchell. Good to hear what Darian had to say and I respect him more for having said it.